CHELSEA VS LIVERPOOL - Defining moment of this season

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:39 pm

I would agree mate about Gerrard. I can't really understand why we moved Gerrard back up front after we won 6-1 anyway. While he didnt have a great game against Hull we won comfortably and Torres didn't seem to struggle much anyway.

If Aquilani struggles I can't see any option other than Gerrard in midfield and Benny behind Torres. If Aquilani is as good as we all hope maybe he can take a bit of the pressure off Gerrard and allow him to regain his best form.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:47 pm

sgs wrote:Comon! Thats the lousiest excuse I've ever read for Gerrard. He simply has not played well, YET...

Well when a player isn't playing to the summit of his potential, you can do a couple of things. Firstly of course you have to recognise it, which in this particular case isn't particularly difficult as Gerrard is obviously a fantastic footballer when at his very best.

Having recognised it, you then have a choice. You can either say "well he has simply not played well yet" and just cross your fingers that sooner or later he will, or you can try and think of a reason why, and perhaps even a solution. While I have the greatest respect for the finger crossers amongst us, I think it often goes a wee bit deeper than that (although admittedly not always).

So looking at it carefully, to my mind each time Gerrard has played in cnetral midfield this season he has had a very good game and we've won comfortably. Each time he has played as support striker, he has been some way below his best. Now we know that he can actually play as a support striker, because he's done it before so lets look at it.

Any other evidence? Well, each time Gerrard has played as a support striker, coincidently Torres has been poor by his standards too. So why is it? Are they both garbage, have they fallen out with each other, is it pure coincidence, or are there other reasons, is there something sinister going on ??? (I've no idea what that last one might be I just put it in to make the post more intriguing).

I'm not a big believer in coincidence, not do I accept that both Torres and Gerrard are garbage or that they don't like playing together anymore. I don't think it's a government plot, so therefore I think there are other football reasons for it. So what could they be?

FWIW my guess is that when Lucas and Masherano play together, we don't flow sufficiently well as a team and they (Gerrard and Torres) become isolated due to the inadequacy of the central midfield, but whatever. Even if we can't accept that as a reason (and doubtless you'll find a reason to dispute it), we might just as well go with straight facts. When Gerrard has played in midfield this season we have won every game, when he hsn't, we've lost quite a few.

Lets move him into midfield and leave him there until we can think of a different excuse why he isn't playing well, and coincidently we are getting beat regularly. I may be onto something, and I may not. In the meantime though, we'll win pretty much every match and at least while we're all crossing our fingers we'll rack a few points up.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:22 am

non only has gerrard been bouncing around in our midfield but then he plays on the left for England.

Don't think there will be any more "until Aquilani is fit" time. Maybe one more game
JoeTerp

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:26 am

Then we just have to get past the "wait till he fkn settles in" period and we may be back in business.

Postby bigmick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:48 am

s@int wrote:Then we just have to get past the "wait till he fkn settles in" period and we may be back in business.

Yes there's still plenty of time for the "Remember Pires and Henri FFS :angry: " period with Aquilani.

In all seriousness, as far as he personally is concerned being out of the title race before he makes his debut might be a bit of a result (AND I'M NOT SAYING WE ARE TOTALLY OUT OF IT YET). At least that way he can gradually feel hius way into things without the frenzy of expectation and desperation which a genuine title challenge brings (or which last season brought anyhow).

As it is, I think it's a bit unfair on him to expect him to come in and turn things around for us.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:12 am

I asked my Italian professor what he thought of Aquaman (I said his real name of course) and he just started laughing and said don't worry he will never play :(
SupitsJonF

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:15 am

:laugh:

Postby TheLad » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:16 am

I must blame Benitez for this one. Should have started with Yossi in the hole behind Torres and Gerrard instead if Lucas pairing with Masch in the midfield.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby zirgoz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:56 am

I think "Lucas" is a dirty word
zirgoz

Postby bigmick » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:08 am

zirgoz wrote:I think "Lucas" is a dirty word

It isn't, and neither is security. "Crevice", that's a dirty word.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:54 am

I take full responsibility for the loss........i created this thread, so its my bad. Hopefully bermanstain (sp ?) comes back and leads us to glory :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:37 am

whats funny is how all the papers are today saying how Chelsea are playnig like they did under Moureen... were they really that good?
The game could have gone either way. but we cant rely on the usual moans... money, yanks or the players we should have brought.

I have to admit the fault here lies completely with Rafa. We have been free scoring with Stevie in midfield, yesterday masher and Lucas looked lost. Why did Benny not start?
I'm no Rafa basher, but he seems to be doing these things simply to proove that he can and hes betetr than what everyone else already knows. When Stevie was back in midfield we were rocking it, scoring goals.. ok letting them in, but playing some lovely football...

We are not out of it yet, and Cheatski aren't looking that great, but we need Aquilani and we need to start scoring more goals.
Last edited by dawson99 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:22 am

agreed dawson
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Chelsea are one of the best teams in the world, and they were playing at home, we took it to 'em the first 20 minutes or so. I think we deserved a draw based on the general run of the game. We were far from played off the park or anything like it. Would have liked if we created more legit chances, but we certainly had enough chances to make chances (far too many over hit crosses)

Far from out of it in terms of the league picture too. I wont say that it isn't an uphill climb or anything, because it is. These 3 points are worth the same as any other single game during the season and there are a LOT more possible 3 points up for grabs against the lessers of the league. We just need to take a very high percentage of those points, and try and win our home games against, well everybody, but if we beat CHelsea at home, it will be better than two draws against them.

we were solid, and probably deserved a draw, but did you think we ever looked like winning it? our goal threat was pretty avearge all game and we looked short on ideas at times. 2-0 was a harsh result, but i dont think we gave ourselves our best possible chance with that team selection.

To be frank mate, we didn't look like winning it at any stage of the game. Misfiring in front of goal for the whole match.

I don't think we played too bady it has to be said, just lacking the killer punch in front of goal.

And I don't think any one player deserves criticism as such, perhaps a bit nervous because of the expectation....

But it has to be said, it's been a pretty grim week to be a LFC fan. Two defeats against decent opposition, in a season where we should expect to be improving upon a second place finish in the league last year...
The omens are pretty....errrrrr......ummmmmm....ominous ?  :eyebrow
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby FootballPictures » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:00 am

Great pictures from Chelsea-Liverpool on www.footballpictures.eu !
FootballPictures

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games