CHELSEA VS LIVERPOOL - Defining moment of this season

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby azriahmad » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:48 pm

i have not posted for sometime, but I just have to say my piece. The way the season has gone for us so far, we have been missing Xabi but the most crucial part is how worrying the defence has been our leaky defence. Carra is having an awful season so far and it doesn't help with Skirtel also struggling for most part and Glen Johnson, no matter how good he is going forward, gets exposed far too easily too many times.

Rafa keeps playing Lucas and every time I see him in the starting line-up, I cringe because he is neither effective holding or covering the back four nor is he much good at passing. Rafa must also play with more attacking intent rather than his normal Torres alone upfront against the likes of Chelsea and make changes quickly rahter then wait too long to bring on Benayoun and Babbel. Benayoun should have started instead of Riera.

Mostly, we need new ownerd who can actually pump money into the club to improve the playing personnel as we are seriously short of quality in depth, not window dressers who mortgage the club to finance their take-over of the club. We also need better matchday revenue, i.e., a new and larger stadium.

It is now 1:44am in my parts of the world and my 13-year-old son who is now an ardent fan because of me, and myself just finished watching the live match where we matched Chelsea but lost out because of bad defending and no real cutting edge up front because we played our Plan A for far too long and Gerrard and especially Torres struggled in the last third because we had no extra options. Torres kept getting surrounded by Chelsea players and had to do far too much alone. Benayoun made some difference but he came on too late to make a telling impact.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby abbiedukes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:56 pm

On a day like this we lose but we will not be trodden upon again. With a true Liverpool spirit we will walk on and emerge from this even stronger!!! YNWA

The game was pretty evenly matched until that mistake in midfield cost us. Once again the game was won in midfield in my opinion. If you didn't get a chance to watch the game here are the goals;

http://www.liverpoolfcgoals.webs.com
abbiedukes

Postby andy_g » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:10 pm

what's with all the lucas bashing? are people's imaginations on here so bad that they can only come up with him being the reason we lost? it might have been a better ploy to have gerrard alongside mascherano and benny behind torres, but lucas did his job fairly well in the line up that the manager put out.

we weren't too bad at all to be honest and the two goals really flattered them, in fact at 1-0 i was convinced we were going to get an equaliser but it just wouldn't go in. that's probably the hardest game of the season gone now and we didn't really deserve to lose it. it would have been nice to work their keeper a bit more but there you go, sometimes it just doesn't go the way you want it to.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:16 pm

I had company and I couldn't pay the attention I would have liked to the tv (it's a bit unpolite not to look at all to your girlfriend). I'll watch the game again before sleep but I'd agree we deserved more than the harsh 2-0 we got at the end. Yossi's last ball summed it up, we were a bit unlucky (besides the mistakes we did make).
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Just got back an alls i wanna say is
:censored: OFF CHELSEA FC YOU AINT GOT NO HISTORY,

:censored:ig classless fans, an if that Drogbar played for us i would feel ashamed, one Bas.stard of a player.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:46 pm

We actualy played well today , we were by far the better team for 60 minutes, we had chances but never put them away ,they did, Simple,

Lucas was alrite today done his job, big let downs for me today were Riera an Gerrard, Another big difference is they have stength an dept we havnt,
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:04 pm

For me the crucial difference was they played with 2 genuine strikers, while today Torres looked isolated until Benny came on. Gerrard gradually got pushed further and further back as the game progressed and from looking like he was going to take the game by storm, became more and more ineffective.
account deleted by request

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:08 pm

Oh i forgot Reg is abar 20 foot tall kinhell , i was likeone of the seven dwawfs lol

Great in the pub before the game though,
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:46 pm

I wasnt optimistic from the moment the starting 11 was announced, i thought it was a poor team selection by Rafa, Gerrard should have been in central midfield. A midfield that has Lucas, Mascherano and Kuyt in the same team is cleary going to struggle to create goal scoring opportunities, especially against a side with quality of Chelsea.

I actually felt sorry for Torres today, he got next to no service and was left alone by himself to produce some magic on his own, we cant rely on him to score a spectacular goal by himself every game to win us games, him and Gerrard were completly isolated and really struggled all game.

Its not over yet, but its starting to look increasingly desperate, if we dont sort the team out soon we can kiss the title goodbye for another year, im just praying that Aquliani will be something special because this team is crying out for another quality player to help turn it around.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Chelsea are one of the best teams in the world, and they were playing at home, we took it to 'em the first 20 minutes or so. I think we deserved a draw based on the general run of the game. We were far from played off the park or anything like it. Would have liked if we created more legit chances, but we certainly had enough chances to make chances (far too many over hit crosses)

Far from out of it in terms of the league picture too. I wont say that it isn't an uphill climb or anything, because it is. These 3 points are worth the same as any other single game during the season and there are a LOT more possible 3 points up for grabs against the lessers of the league. We just need to take a very high percentage of those points, and try and win our home games against, well everybody, but if we beat CHelsea at home, it will be better than two draws against them.
JoeTerp

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:00 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Chelsea are one of the best teams in the world, and they were playing at home, we took it to 'em the first 20 minutes or so. I think we deserved a draw based on the general run of the game. We were far from played off the park or anything like it. Would have liked if we created more legit chances, but we certainly had enough chances to make chances (far too many over hit crosses)

Far from out of it in terms of the league picture too. I wont say that it isn't an uphill climb or anything, because it is. These 3 points are worth the same as any other single game during the season and there are a LOT more possible 3 points up for grabs against the lessers of the league. We just need to take a very high percentage of those points, and try and win our home games against, well everybody, but if we beat CHelsea at home, it will be better than two draws against them.

we were solid, and probably deserved a draw, but did you think we ever looked like winning it? our goal threat was pretty avearge all game and we looked short on ideas at times. 2-0 was a harsh result, but i dont think we gave ourselves our best possible chance with that team selection.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:07 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Just got back an alls i wanna say is
:censored: OFF CHELSEA FC YOU AINT GOT NO HISTORY,

:censored:ig classless fans, an if that Drogbar played for us i would feel ashamed, one Bas.stard of a player.

exactly how I feel Nan

how small time are them w@nkers? they actually think we're their biggest rivals
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:11 pm

just got in now. I feel quite ill. I think it was that pizza pot pie I had at half time. :angry:
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:13 pm

Always easy to slate the team selection in hindsight after a loss.  Like I said, moments of actually troubling their keeper were lower that I would have liked, but we had enough of the play and were positive enough for me that it should have been higher. Our crosses were not very good when we did get in dangerous spots.

Other than the goals, and I am not really counting their 2nd as anything because it was so late and we were pretty desperate at that point (and it looked like the whole team was tired), but anyway, other than their goal, Chelsea didn't really challenge Reina much, if at all.  THey had some half chances from set pieces, but we certainly had a lot of set piece opportunities, we just never made anything of them.
JoeTerp

Postby JC_81 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:14 pm

Trying not to get too disheartened by that game to be honest.  2-0 did not reflect the balance of play, we were at least value for a draw, if not slightly the better side over 90 mins.  That said, we didn't take our chances and they did, all comes down to the fine details at this level.  Drogba's cross and Anelka's finish were top drawer to open the scoring.

I said it at half time, but I seriously can't remember us playing at Stamford Bridge and being under that little pressure.  We looked solid and compact and carried a threat going forward.  Our weakest links this season all played well (Carra, Skrtel, Mascherano and Lucas).  Mascherano in particular had a blinder, even though he got robbed by Lampard in the build up to the opening goal.

I thought Gerrard was poor again.  His workrate isn't what it was and he doesn't seem to chase back or tackle anymore.  Maybe he's told to do this, but for me he needs to impose himself a bit more rather than hang around waiting for the ball to come to him.  He's taking this 'free role' a bit too literally for my liking.  It shouldn't mean he's free of any defensive responsibility, Torres does more tracking back than him these days.

There are positives to take from that game, but I can't help feeling like this team isn't good enough to win the league.  Every decent team we've played this season has beaten us, four teams to date in all competitions.  It's not good.  It's not over yet but we have serious deficiencies in this squad and it will take a mammoth effort to win a major competition this season.  Chelsea and United have better squads, Arsenal are improving all the time and by next season Man City will surely also have a superior squad.  Without major investment we're only going in one direction.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games