Liverpool v. chelsea - Start of a new season

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby supersub » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:59 pm

With every new season comes hope,but this year I sense some fans are very pessimistic.I'm trying to but a brave face on things;I feel Houllier knows this is the season that makes or breaks him.Today is a massive game and every supporter will be urging the lads on to attack and obliterate that bitter taste we were left with after our last meeting with Chelsea.
          Come on Reds a healthy 2-0 victory will do nicely,thank you.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby gaz31 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:44 am

COME ON YOU REDS LETS GIVE CFC A LESSON IN FOOTBALL,
I THINK IT WILL BE A 3-1 WIN TO LFC.............. :)
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby sickboy » Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:57 am

Monsieur Houllier prove me wrong, lets rip these CFC mercenaries appart with some dynamic attacking football and
play to our potential.

"We have nothing to fear but fear it self"

Liverpool to I die.

Sickboy
sickboy

Postby ROBtheRED » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:18 pm

Lets get behind the boys for the big kick off!  a win against Chelsea would be a great start to the season.

So i hope all the true mighty red men out there will be singing there hearts out at anfield today!

GOOD LUCK LFC !  :)
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:35 pm

Hello to all Liverpool fans. I have just joined this site. I have been a Liverpool fan since '76 when I was in England and has been faithfully following the team's progress since. I live in Malaysia but I was in England in two separate spells (1975-1977 and 1998-1993). I feel compelled to join a true blue fans' forum because after watching the just completed Chelsea game, I am convinced that the present team is playing cr@p football and we are destined to another year of underachieving. I feel that it is not the players' fault, but the manager, Houllier. I can't understand why Liverpool approaches games in such a negative manner. Looking at today's game, one would think that Chelsea is the home team! The board of directors should get a really tactically astute manager... also someone who knows how to buy players. Martin O' Neil would do wonders. Even our poor cousins Everton plays better soccer. Looking at Houllier's past spending, I wonder how much debt Liverpool is in now. How many expesnive duds has he bought? Too many to remember. Biscan, Diouf, Heskey, Diao, Cheyrou, the list goes on... Why does he buy these unknown for silly money? Perhaps there's some foul play... I'm so frustrated that Liverpool is so stuck in this rot created by Houllier but still retains him as manager. This rot will continue unless we get a new manager who can instill pride and cast away such negativity. This is my say as a long suffering fan. Hope to get some interesting comments from all of you out there.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby genecola » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:01 pm

After watching Liverpool vs Chelsea defeat just now, I must say that I'm a little disappointed with the way things are going now.

The style of Liverpool simply doesn't fit in. Gone were the days when Liverpool were playing flawless passing football. Instead, now we have a half-hearted makeshift Liverpool team who can't even string together a simple spell of decent passes. There is no thru passes, no communication, and the passing is too direct. Any player can see where Liverpool's attack is coming from. Cut out Micheal Owen and its game over. Bringing in Harry Kewell doesn't help if the tactics stays the same. We can even bring in five Ronaldinos and it will still be the same old story.

I'm just hoping that whatever Houllier is doing is for Liverpool's own good in the upcoming season games. Perhaps he has his reasons for doing certain things. But as fans, we have a right to vent our anger and disappointment as we see fit because we do really care.

And please Houllier, decide whether its offensive, defensive or dynamic football. Right now, we are playing aimless football. The crew is sailing the ship without a compass.
genecola

Postby johnnyrev » Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:57 pm

lets just wait and see what happens when we field our strongest team. i am not sure though if houllier actually knows what it is. from a personal point of view i would give baros a decent run
johnnyrev

Postby kennys mate » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:10 pm

very disapointed with the result,chelskie passed better than us , still dont like biscan.
maybe we will play better when gerrard is back
why did henchoz go off?
kennys mate

Postby supersub » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:39 pm

I was at the game so I'll attempt to give a fair assessment of what was unfurled as "edge of the seat football",Rick Parry's words not mine.
     Firstly;big shock Cheyrou in,Diouff on the bench.The crowd sang "You'll never walk alone"with great conviction.It still lifts your spirits when you're down.Anyway we had the better of the opening 20 mins.Biscan was playing well,so too was Kewell.Heskey was sluggish for the opening 5-10 mins but improved.Sadly the defence still likes to lump the ball up the field for Owen to chase.Chelsea scored against the run of play then our game fell away for 10 mins or so.Half-time the coke was good and my drink wasn't bad either.
    2nd half Cheyrou was replaced pretty quickly by Diouff,who had an immediate impact.He gave Johnson a torrid time and the Chelsea full-back was replaced because of it.Diouff won the penalty,which Owen scored from at the 2nd attempt.I've said it before Michael should not be allowed to take penalties.Major problem when we attack we leave a huge void from 2-3 attackers to the rest of the midfield.I think Houllier puts the blocks on too many players going forward so when Chelsea cleared their lines our midfield were 20-30yards away.We are not a unit.Hasselbaink nicked a win for Chelsea just as we have in the previous 2 seasons.I've read a lot of slagging off of Liverpool over this game and I think it's not deserved.Don't get me wrong I don't think we will win the premiership with Houllier in charge but I'm sure we will win a place in the champions league.Chelsea are no better than us,although their defennce is.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby gaz31 » Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:59 am

all i wanted to see was a win 4 us on the first day of the season (too much to ask i suppose)!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cleman » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:46 am

as the reds fan..i have to admit that chelsea deserve a win with 3 points....they are not the best...but just because liverpool performed too bad..........

there is no points you have how many chances to score...the point is you have to convert the chances to goal ! and Chelsea did it....probably they just missed 2 chances where Gudjohnsen faced 1 to 1 with Dudek....and the try from Frank Lampard.......but look at liverpool..the only goal came from penalty..that also given 2nd try....

liverpool still play defensive football...with long ball for owen/heskey/kewell to chase....

surprised with the starting line up with Cheyrou, Carragher, & Biscan......why don't let Diouf, Finnan start the line up?

Riise is a good player, probably better then Silvetre & A.Cole....but under GH..Riise is solely a "defender:...........
Cleman

Postby ROBtheRED » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:44 pm

The key factors that were wrong with our game yesterday were:-
1. The ball was given away far too easily, we were always goin to miss Hamann and Gerrard in the middle and with those two in the line up i'm convinced we would have made our superiority count in the first 20-25 mins. Biscan broke up a fair few chelsea attacks but his distribution was poor, whenever he was in possession he continuosly gave it back to defenders who were willing only to launch it forward for Owen and Heskey, that isn't the Liverpool way!

2.We seemed reluctant to break forward and support the attackers, in the last couple of seasons Riise has been overlapping down the left and getting crosses into the box - he did that once yesterday and although he had a good game (until the winning goal) Carragher didnt get forward on the right, which left us pretty one dimensional even Kewell lacking options other than going down the middle! At least when Diouf came on he gave us natural width and made their defenders commit themselves.   

3. We looked very panicky at the back and Dudek bailed us out on a few occassions, we defend deep cos we haven't got much pace between the centre halves to get back - on the two occassions in the 1st half we pushed up we got caught for the goal and Gudjohnsen forced Jerzy into a good save when he was thru on goal.

We can put this right i'm sure - it ain't rocket science - but if we get the basics wrong we're gonna be in for a rough ride this season.
Don't get me wrong i'm not writing us off yet but we need to improve and i know we're capable of it ... thats the frustrating thing!
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:20 am

Watching last Sunday's match, I realize what Liverpool lacks. We dont need Diouf to stumble in the Penalty box for a Penalty. Essentially we need decent cross and strikes. Owen seems to be utterly disturbed and pressured. Owen requires someone to pass and cross to him. He is now burdened with a new reponsibily... to cover for Diouf, Cherou and Biscan. In fact I wonder what on earth were Biscan and Cherou doing at the mid field. I think Liverpool played 8 men against 11.Riise would do a better wing that defence. Unlike Diouf, Riise has the speed and power.  As for  Heskey, he should run and touch the ball at least a couple of times more.At some point of the match, I wonder whether Biscan and Cherou know how to dribble the ball. They have been just kicking the ball to the front. Whether it reaches Owen or Heskey who cares.. as far as they are concerned they have passed the ball to the strikers. We would have got a draw But for Houllier. Houllier went and changed the Defender. That gave the room for Hasslebaink to score the 2nd ball. Yet again the cause behind the defeat is Houllier.

:(
hobbes

Postby cheesecakery » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:34 pm

gaz31 wrote:COME ON YOU REDS LETS GIVE CFC A LESSON IN FOOTBALL,
I THINK IT WILL BE A 3-1 WIN TO LFC.............. :)

well dont become a gambler gaz
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby supersub » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:44 pm

say something about Liverpool for once.
Anything..your first game..your fav player.
something to show you do have an interest in Liverpool.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games