CHELSEA VS LIVERPOOL - Defining moment of this season

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby tubby » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:16 pm

At the end of the day we didn't take our chances and they did. Torres should have buried that header in the 1st half and he let one bobble wide in the 2nd that should have levelled the game for us.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:17 pm

john craig wrote:Trying not to get too disheartened by that game to be honest.  2-0 did not reflect the balance of play, we were at least value for a draw, if not slightly the better side over 90 mins.  That said, we didn't take our chances and they did, all comes down to the fine details at this level.  Drogba's cross and Anelka's finish were top drawer to open the scoring.

I said it at half time, but I seriously can't remember us playing at Stamford Bridge and being under that little pressure.  We looked solid and compact and carried a threat going forward.  Our weakest links this season all played well (Carra, Skrtel, Mascherano and Lucas).  Mascherano in particular had a blinder, even though he got robbed by Lampard in the build up to the opening goal.

I thought Gerrard was poor again.  His workrate isn't what it was and he doesn't seem to chase back or tackle anymore.  Maybe he's told to do this, but for me he needs to impose himself a bit more rather than hang around waiting for the ball to come to him.  He's taking this 'free role' a bit too literally for my liking.  It shouldn't mean he's free of any defensive responsibility, Torres does more tracking back than him these days.

There are positives to take from that game, but I can't help feeling like this team isn't good enough to win the league.  Every decent team we've played this season has beaten us, four teams to date in all competitions.  It's not good.  It's not over yet but we have serious deficiencies in this squad and it will take a mammoth effort to win a major competition this season.  Chelsea and United have better squads, Arsenal are improving all the time and by next season Man City will surely also have a superior squad.  Without major investment we're only going in one direction.

Spot on mate. About Gerrard I don't think I can remember a game where he actually bossed the midfield against Chelsea.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:18 pm

bavlondon wrote:just got in now. I feel quite ill. I think it was that pizza pot pie I had at half time. :angry:

At 3 pound a pie Bav robbing Bast.ards, my pastie was alright
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:20 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
bavlondon wrote:just got in now. I feel quite ill. I think it was that pizza pot pie I had at half time. :angry:

At 3 pound a pie Bav robbing Bast.ards, my pastie was alright

It tasted ok at the time.  :D Anyway was a good day out until they scored. Cracking atmosphere before hand in the pub. There was probably more noise coming out of that pub than the whole of the matthew harding stand the whole game. Probably see yous for the Fulham game nan.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 pm

:laugh: i Keep laughing thinkin about that woman with the crutch :laugh:
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:25 pm

john craig wrote:Trying not to get too disheartened by that game to be honest.  2-0 did not reflect the balance of play, we were at least value for a draw, if not slightly the better side over 90 mins.  That said, we didn't take our chances and they did, all comes down to the fine details at this level.  Drogba's cross and Anelka's finish were top drawer to open the scoring.

I said it at half time, but I seriously can't remember us playing at Stamford Bridge and being under that little pressure.  We looked solid and compact and carried a threat going forward.  Our weakest links this season all played well (Carra, Skrtel, Mascherano and Lucas).  Mascherano in particular had a blinder, even though he got robbed by Lampard in the build up to the opening goal.

I thought Gerrard was poor again.  His workrate isn't what it was and he doesn't seem to chase back or tackle anymore.  Maybe he's told to do this, but for me he needs to impose himself a bit more rather than hang around waiting for the ball to come to him.  He's taking this 'free role' a bit too literally for my liking.  It shouldn't mean he's free of any defensive responsibility, Torres does more tracking back than him these days.

There are positives to take from that game, but I can't help feeling like this team isn't good enough to win the league.  Every decent team we've played this season has beaten us, four teams to date in all competitions.  It's not good.  It's not over yet but we have serious deficiencies in this squad and it will take a mammoth effort to win a major competition this season.  Chelsea and United have better squads, Arsenal are improving all the time and by next season Man City will surely also have a superior squad.  Without major investment we're only going in one direction.

Kinda agree about Gerrard, its almost as if he's considered a support striker these days, which he isnt. He's not Kaka,Ronaldhino or Rooney. Gerrards so good beacause he can do a bit of everything, i dont like the fact that after Torres he's supposed to be our biggest goal threat, he's never just been about the goals, he is the engine of the team and the focal point, not the goal scorer.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:28 pm

NANNY RED wrote: :laugh: i Keep laughing thinkin about that woman with the crutch :laugh:

Ha ha see her face when Reg said get up Drogba you shitehouse.  :D She was trying to cover her sons ears.  :p

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:50 pm

bavlondon wrote:
NANNY RED wrote::laugh: i Keep laughing thinkin about that woman with the crutch :laugh:

Ha ha see her face when Reg said get up Drogba you shitehouse.  :D She was trying to cover her sons ears.  :p

:laugh: When she turned round when they scored there second she went to hit that lad from Wavertree with the crutch, How much stick did we give them though, an they all fecking deserved it
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:52 pm

RedSi35 wrote:Come on lets have some faith, we just need to win EVERY game from now on in to stand a good chance of getting into the top 4.

The europa league might be fun ! ! ! ! ???

I don't know if i should laugh and your post or cry.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Madmax wrote:
RedSi35 wrote:Come on lets have some faith, we just need to win EVERY game from now on in to stand a good chance of getting into the top 4.

The europa league might be fun ! ! ! ! ???

I don't know if i should laugh and your post or cry.

its got Bitter written all over it,
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:02 pm

Just got back from the game, a decent performance i thought but we didn't get what we deserved which was atleast point. Worst home support i've ever witnessed, i'd be embarrassed if i was a Chelsea fan after that showing.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:07 pm

The way I see it is as long as we continue to put away the small teams like we are we will be ok. Sure it's nice to get results against the top 4 (and we will when they come to Anfield) but look at Utd last season, they didn't play too well against the rest of the top 4 but they made sure they beat all the other teams below them. We just need to refocus. That's 2 defeats back to back now so im expecting a strong performance against Sunderland. Is there an international break coming up too? Good timing tbf, so long as everyone comes back fit.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:13 pm

bavlondon wrote:The way I see it is as long as we continue to put away the small teams like we are we will be ok. Sure it's nice to get results against the top 4 (and we will when they come to Anfield) but look at Utd last season, they didn't play too well against the rest of the top 4 but they made sure they beat all the other teams below them. We just need to refocus. That's 2 defeats back to back now so im expecting a strong performance against Sunderland. Is there an international break coming up too? Good timing tbf, so long as everyone comes back fit.

but were not just losing against the top 4 are we? weve only played one team in the top for so far, weve lost vs Villa and Spurs as well. We havent even faced Man utd, Arsenal or Man city yet! we need to get our act together and fast
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Well based on the highlights we did pretty well from what I could see. Realistically, losing there is no disaster in itself as they are a top team and will beat nearly everyone. The problem is for us that we haven't just lost there, we have lost twice elsewhere as well which made the defeat harder to bare.

For all his ridiculousness Drogba remains a fantastic centre forward when he's in the mood, which he appears to be most of the time at the moment, and the truth was that in a couple of pivotal moments we couldn't handle him. Other than that we did alright.

My main concern for us at the moment would be the form of Gerrard. He kind of doesn't look right, and I can't help thinking the fact that he has been shoved up top, brought back into midfield to rescue things then bunged up top again isn't doing him any favours. He can't seem to get any consistency going, and perhaps it's no wonder.

Equally, the fact that Torres became isolated with Masherano and Lucas playing central midfield (yet again) surely means that from now on, unless we're parking the bus Gerrard must play in central midfield. Something is amiss with him though, and unless he is firing we become just a fairly good side instead of an excellent one.

My take is that it's time to bite the bullet and play him only in one position, at least until Aquilani comes back.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:36 pm

bigmick wrote:Well based on the highlights we did pretty well from what I could see. Realistically, losing there is no disaster in itself as they are a top team and will beat nearly everyone. The problem is for us that we haven't just lost there, we have lost twice elsewhere as well which made the defeat harder to bare.

For all his ridiculousness Drogba remains a fantastic centre forward when he's in the mood, which he appears to be most of the time at the moment, and the truth was that in a couple of pivotal moments we couldn't handle him. Other than that we did alright.

My main concern for us at the moment would be the form of Gerrard. He kind of doesn't look right, and I can't help thinking the fact that he has been shoved up top, brought back into midfield to rescue things then bunged up top again isn't doing him any favours. He can't seem to get any consistency going, and perhaps it's no wonder.

Equally, the fact that Torres became isolated with Masherano and Lucas playing central midfield (yet again) surely means that from now on, unless we're parking the bus Gerrard must play in central midfield. Something is amiss with him though, and unless he is firing we become just a fairly good side instead of an excellent one.

My take is that it's time to bite the bullet and play him only in one position, at least until Aquilani comes back.

Comon! Thats the lousiest excuse I've ever read for Gerrard. He simply has not played well, YET...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games