Bournemouth vs Liverpool  Sun 4th Dec  13:00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:27 pm

JC_81 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:02 pm wrote:Scores went same as v dormund except we were on the receiving end. Now we know how they felt that night.

2-0, 2-1, 3-1 with 15-20 to go, 3-4 with injury time winner.

Today's game will go down in Bournemouth history, I know they had a massive win against United in the FA Cup when they were a lower division club and Harry Redknapp was their manager but today's win is probably the best in their history.
It will go down in Liverpool history as well but for all the wrong reasons.
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:28 pm

redshade » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:43 pm wrote:We need 2-3 quality signings because when we mis 1-2 of our main players we are not the same.

Dahoud, Van dijk

This
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:56 pm

First game we've lost since Burnley in August and we're in December now. Not feeling great after throwing away a 2 goal lead but things are not too bad if you look at the bigger picture.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:53 pm

I guess its better going through this excruciating setback now rather than towards the end like we did under Brendan.
However weaknesses must be addressed if we aspire to challenge for the title.
I know our target was to get a champions league spot but as we are close to the top why not aim for total glory.
Leicester did not in the slightest have the title in their amibitions but look what they achieved when they were challenging.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:03 pm

Gutted about the result. Caught the match on the radio when we were 2-0 up, then had to board a ferry and found out that we lost a few hours later. As someone said, it's like Rodgers never left. However, he has left and the fact it's December and we've lost only our second match shows how far we've come.

Today we lost because we were missing four first team players - Coutinho, Matip, Sturridge and Lallana. Now I know Lallana played today, but he's not fit and won't be for a few more weeks.

If anything, today's result has shown that our squad is a bit too thin. We need another quality centre back (Lucas isn't up to it and Sakho is never playing for us again). We also need a left back (still) and another goalkeeper. Sell Migs ASAP and bring in someone who is proven. Job done.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:12 pm

I still feel gutted. I genuinely thought that we'd seen the back of ridiculous capitulation's like that. Yes I am fully aware that we are going to get beat every now and again and yes, I am fully aware that we are going to throw away silly points every now and then, but to be 3-1 up at Bournemouth with just 15 minutes to go and not even come away with a single point?
4 goals we conceded in that second half. Shocking.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:35 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:12 pm wrote:I still feel gutted. I genuinely thought that we'd seen the back of ridiculous capitulation's like that. Yes I am fully aware that we are going to get beat every now and again and yes, I am fully aware that we are going to throw away silly points every now and then, but to be 3-1 up at Bournemouth with just 15 minutes to go and not even come away with a single point?
4 goals we conceded in that second half. Shocking.

Yes, it happens but you've got to think this will cost us over the course of the season. We were so porous in defence that it looked like Bournemouth would score every time they attack. I love our Barcelona-esque possession, pressing and attacking football but we have to be able to close up with two well organised banks of four to protect the lead.

On a positive loved Origi's finish, wow, Emre's also.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:37 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:03 pm wrote:Gutted about the result. Caught the match on the radio when we were 2-0 up, then had to board a ferry and found out that we lost a few hours later. As someone said, it's like Rodgers never left. However, he has left and the fact it's December and we've lost only our second match shows how far we've come.

Today we lost because we were missing four first team players - Coutinho, Matip, Sturridge and Lallana. Now I know Lallana played today, but he's not fit and won't be for a few more weeks.

If anything, today's result has shown that our squad is a bit too thin. We need another quality centre back (Lucas isn't up to it and Sakho is never playing for us again). We also need a left back (still) and another goalkeeper. Sell Migs ASAP and bring in someone who is proven. Job done.

Have to disagree with that. When we went 3-1 up, there was 25 mins left and we were in that winning position without those injured players. There was enough quality out there to see out 25 minutes with us 3-1 up against a team who are decent midtable/lower half outfit but not exactly a Man City, Chelsea etc.

For me, reason we lost is because we looked physically shot in the last 20 mins and think concentration went out the window as well. Can, Mane, Origi, Wijnaldum all played 90 mins midweek and started today. With our pressing and high energy style of play, I think it caught up with us in the back end of the game against a team who had the week off.

I've looked at the goals we conceded and for the second look at how our players are running back once Origi had lost the ball. Looked like they were running in treacle and legs looked shot. Even the third, we had plenty of numbers back but there was no intensity in looking to shut out the danger. For their winner, could tell Wijnaldum was running on empty and didn't have the energy to get out and close the guy who took the shot outside the box which Karius spilled.

In hindsight, I think Klopp needed to bring some fresh legs into central midfield and take one of Wijnaldum and Can off. We lost control in there IMO and needed to beef it up in there.
Doeboy

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Doeboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:37 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:03 pm wrote:Gutted about the result. Caught the match on the radio when we were 2-0 up, then had to board a ferry and found out that we lost a few hours later. As someone said, it's like Rodgers never left. However, he has left and the fact it's December and we've lost only our second match shows how far we've come.

Have to disagree with that. When we went 3-1 up, there was 25 mins left and we were in that winning position without those injured players. There was enough quality out there to see out 25 minutes with us 3-1 up against a team who are decent midtable/lower half outfit but not exactly a Man City, Chelsea etc.

For me, reason we lost is because we looked physically shot in the last 20 mins and think concentration went out the window as well. Can, Mane, Origi, Wijnaldum all played 90 mins midweek and started today. With our pressing and high energy style of play, I think it caught up with us in the back end of the game against a team who had the week off.

I've looked at the goals we conceded and for the second look at how our players are running back once Origi had lost the ball. Looked like they were running in treacle and legs looked shot. Even the third, we had plenty of numbers back but there was no intensity in looking to shut out the danger. For their winner, could tell Wijnaldum was running on empty and didn't have the energy to get out and close the guy who took the shot outside the box which Karius spilled.

In hindsight, I think Klopp needed to bring some fresh legs into central midfield and take one of Wijnaldum and Can off. We lost control in there IMO and needed to beef it up in there.

In my opinion, the loss of Matip alone cost us the game. His presence in defence is so effective that you can forget he's there, but he brings order to the back four and his calmness and eye for intercepting headers and through ball shouldn't be over emphasised.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:03 pm

We did seem to lack a bit of energy today though, we started off alright but inexplicably took our foot off the pedal when we went 2 up. When they pulled one back we upped our intensity levels for 10 minutes and made it 3-1 but after that we looked ponderous and flat footed.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:20 pm

Our lads took the foot off at 3-1 and for that Bournemouth deserved their win.

Our team is still growing, hopefully they learn from that.

Like i said before its how we react to this thats important. Need a good performance and a good win next week.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Agree Matip is an obvious miss however today the fact is we conceded 3 goals in the last 15 minutes with a defense made up of Clyne, Lucas, Lovren and Milner. No one can say that defense is not capable  of seeing out 15 mins against a team like Bournemouth.

The problem today what in the last 20 mins, Can and Wijnaldum were running on empty and Bournemouth were pretty much running onto our defense with ease. The way we play takes a lot out of the players and keep in mind both Can and Wijnaldum played 90 mins midweek. In the last 20 mins today, those two looked exhausted and as though they were running in a quicksand. As soon as that happened, Bournemouth were having free runs at our defense and stretching them which makes the defenders look poor. Even with Matip we would have had the same problem IMO

Klopp should really have tightened things up in midfield and brought on some fresh legs and shut up shop once we went 3-1 up. Could even have brought Klavan on and pushed Lucas in midfield. Pretty much guarantee that had we put some fresh legs into midfield, we would be here talking about a good 3 points
Doeboy

Postby eds » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:42 pm

Good post Doe man.

I agree our midefield was completely run over in the last 20 mins and Klopp was fully responsible for the loss.

At 3-1 up he should have brought on fresh legs to replace Can and Wynaldum. This isn't the first time he hasn't subbed early when he needed to and I have a bad feeling it won't be the last.

You can't continually play that physical style with the core of your midfield every few days running, it simply won't work with mid week games. Klopp should have known better and shut up shop early. Having 3/4 of our starting XI players out only made the problem worse.....:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:51 pm

There were defensive errors in there as well don't forget, yes we looked a bit leggy but IMO we would have seen that game out with a bit more more composure.
Their first goal was particularly galling, we made 2 stupid mistakes within the space of a few seconds, first Lovren makes a complete hash of a simple header then Milner compounds the error by running across the path of the Bournemouth player even though he was going nowhere and Lucas was in a perfect position to cover.
We actually had possession of the ball and 3 men in close proximity yet one lone Bournemouth player somehow manages to engineer a penalty out of nothing.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:55 pm

To be fair, its quite an obvious observation. We had Can and Wijnaldum coming into this game with 90 mins in midweek playing in a high energy pressing style. Today, they were up against Bournemouth midfielders whose last game was a week ago.

I mean don't think it takes a rocket science to work out that at some point tiredness is going to kick in during the game when 2 out of 3 of your midfielders played 90 mins midweek are up against a team who have had a weeks rest. Worst still, both Can and Wijnaldum saw out the full 90 mins today!
Doeboy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games