BARCELONA V's LFC, CL SEMI FINAL 1st May

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby devaney » Thu May 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Fivecups It’s fkn laughable what the likes of RR are coming out with. Hindsight is an exact science but to suggest that Shaquiri or Origi would have been a better option is nonsense. Neither of them have really convinced when they have been given the opportunity. I’m surprised Sturridge was mentioned. Gini has been very solid and is not the reason we lost last night.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 02, 2019 9:41 pm

I still think Jurgen over thought it, Barca's weakness is their defence and by weakening our attack he let them off the hook.
I don't think that is a particularly good Barca side, they got a lot of luck yesterday, I can see how Roma turned a 4-1 first leg deficit around last year, we should have scored 3 or 4 with a DM up front and a midfield packed out with workhorses.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Franky000 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:58 pm

Surprised no one's mentioned the gaping hole at right back, specifically on the barca counter .... it wouldn't have made a difference having TAA there imo, not against that lot. He's a great player but we should think about rotating him with another more seasoned RB next season. I imagine that will be one of the first areas to be strengthened. Gomez is most effective as a CB
Franky000

Postby Doeboy » Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 pm wrote:I still think Jurgen over thought it, Barca's weakness is their defence and by weakening our attack he let them off the hook.
I don't think that is a particularly good Barca side, they got a lot of luck yesterday, I can see how Roma turned a 4-1 first leg deficit around last year, we should have scored 3 or 4 with a DM up front and a midfield packed out with workhorses.

It's an ageing albeit experienced Barca team and at times it did show at times yesterday. Pique, Alba,  Busquets, Vidal, Rakitic, Suarez and Messi (when you are as good as he is it probably don't matter but he has lost a yard of pace imo) all in their 30s. Not massively old as a lot of the ones mentioned are in their early 30's but up against some of our young players thought you could tell we had the legs on them.
Doeboy

Postby Santa » Thu May 02, 2019 11:51 pm

OK we lost partially due to...

(1) Bobby being unfit to start

(2) the younger players got bullied around by the likes of Messi and Suarez...noticed how Messi punched Fabinho and won a free kick while Fabinho got a yellow, then moved the ball 5 yards forward and take THAT freekick without the ref noticing? Time to introduce some dark arts into the players so in instances like this, our players will know how to react

(3) missing key chances (hello Messr Mane and Salah)

(4) lack of a pure goal poacher (Suarez was like a dog after a bone all day long)

(5) Messi

Now what I would give to get a goal within the first 10 minutes and get these bunch rattled...after that with the crowd behind us who knows what will happen. We are capable of a comeback and Barca are capable of capsizing even after a 3 goals lead. It's 80:20 in their favour but let's make that 20 count...herculean effort needed and must say I'm pumped for next Tuesday
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 am

In true Lfc fashion we are up against it hoping the opposition will crumble at home. It's not impossible but very unlikely with this Messi #unt on current form.
killerp

Postby Reg » Fri May 03, 2019 3:20 am

woof woof ! » Thu May 02, 2019 10:51 pm wrote:
algymoon » Thu May 02, 2019 11:43 am wrote:The Idiot who support Abu Falafel your beloved Salah the useless winger, f*cking idiot a person like you who can not accept a fair criticism of the shambles that FCL is in!

OK, you're not funny anymore.

Apart from being an alter ego you're also a f*cking racist !

You're no longer welcome in here.

I agree he's not funny, I agree he's rude to Salah and Klopp and he's also disrespectful to Salah and Klopp but he isn't racist.
It's all the rage to use the word Racist, it stops people in their tracks because we're all become so PC and scared of our own shadows however 'rude' and 'disrespectful' does not equal racist.

We're all rude on occasion and disrespectful when necessary but the vast majority of us are not afflicted by race hate and I don't believe Algymoon has ever stated anything that reflects race hatred either.

So if you're fed up with him, throw him out for being a prat but don't invent that he's been racist.
Last edited by Reg on Fri May 03, 2019 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri May 03, 2019 3:32 am

My take on the game as follows:

Klopp made 3 strange selections:  Gini who's scored 3 goals this season with 1 assist replaced Bobby. Gini is Mr Solid, he'll become the new boring reliable Milner but he won't become Stevie G playing behind Torres. Hendo had showed he could play that role, so why pick Gini?

Gomez at RB. Not match fit and would be facing 3 of the greatest attackers in the world. He could have played TAA with Fab playing right in front of the CB's to allow Matip to drift over further towards TAA to provide additional cover. Instead we created our own problem area.

Milner. I don't see the logic of playing Gini up front to make room for Milner. If we were defensive minded we shouldnt have risked playing Gomez. If we were attack minded we shouldnt have played Milner.

Just seems to me (and lets face it I know nothing) that we went to Barcelona and tried to be clever and it didn't pay off. 1-0 signifies it nearly worked but 3-0 is a spanking.  :down:

Moving forward: we have a quality squad, we are Arsenal for the last 15 years, we should get CL every season now, BUT we don'y have an Aguero, Drogba, Hazzerd or Suarez super player to make us great. All the building blocks are in place but we still need two final pieces to make us great.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri May 03, 2019 8:13 am

Salah and Mané missed a couple of very good chances on the night but let’s not forget that Salah with 21 goals is currently the Premiership’s top scorer with Mané and Aguero joint second both with 20 goals. I accept that Aguero has played fewer overall minutes. Suarez has 21 and Messi has a mind boggling 34 in La Liga. I don’t think we are too shabby upfront however we definitely need far better back up than we currently have. I don’t think we need to spend a fortune, we just someone with real potential for the future because our lads aren’t getting any younger. Will Brewster be the answer? Massive shame that his ACL injury messed up his progress because he was looking very exciting.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Fri May 03, 2019 10:17 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu May 02, 2019 10:49 am wrote:
redshade » Thu May 02, 2019 9:42 am wrote:Fun Fact- Allison has conceeded 9 goals and counting in UCL semi finals. :-(

His got bad luck in Semis.

To be fair we should be looking at Roma as an example, not only did they come back from a similar scoreline against Barcelona they nearly beat us after we wiped the floor with them at Anfield and scored first in Rome as well.

Yup i forgot about that one. 4-1 down from first leg and they beat Barca 3-0 at home. Barca were poor jn the 2nd leg and Roma controlled the game. I think Klopp should watch that game a few times.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Rum » Fri May 03, 2019 12:44 pm

fivecups » Thu May 02, 2019 7:54 pm wrote:
Barmy? OK, OK, I'm going to trust someone on a footie forum rather than a world-class manager who actually watches the players everyday, knows their stats, form and fitness, nice one Red rum
[/quote]
Yes but his team selection and tactics backfired big time fivecups.
It reminded me of panic tactics because we were playing at the daunting nou camp.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby devaney » Fri May 03, 2019 1:54 pm

Red Rum » Fri May 03, 2019 11:44 am wrote:
Barmy? OK, OK, I'm going to trust someone on a footie forum rather than a world-class manager who actually watches the players everyday, knows their stats, form and fitness, nice one Red rum

It reminded me of panic tactics because we were playing at the daunting nou camp.[/quote]

Sorry RR but I think you are talking rubbish. Your answer was to play Shaquiri or Origi and neither of them have done anything particularly impressive when they have been given the opportunity. It wasn’t tactics or team selection that lost us the game it was bad luck, missed opportunities and brilliance by Barca. Messi’s free kick was something very special and most of the time would never have resulted in a goal. Their first goal wether you like it or not was downright impressive. Prior to them scoring in the second half we were by far the better team. On another day the same team could have easily won. I think the loss of Keita also had an affect.

Let’s leave team selection and tactics to Klopp. He done very well so far this season.
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Rum » Fri May 03, 2019 2:40 pm

devaney » Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm wrote:

It reminded me of panic tactics because we were playing at the daunting nou camp.

Sorry RR but I think you are talking rubbish. Your answer was to play Shaquiri or Origi and neither of them have done anything particularly impressive when they have been given the opportunity. It wasn’t tactics or team selection that lost us the game it was bad luck, missed opportunities and brilliance by Barca. Messi’s free kick was something very special and most of the time would never have resulted in a goal. Their first goal wether you like it or not was downright impressive. Prior to them scoring in the second half we were by far the better team. On another day the same team could have easily won. I think the loss of Keita also had an affect.

Let’s leave team selection and tactics to Klopp. He done very well so far this season.

Yes we have done well this season, but it's the first time this season Klopp played that formation in Midfield. Why??

You're a bit harsh on Shaqiri, it's his more natural position to sit behind the front two and I would have played him behind Salah and Mane. Shaq has hardly been given any game time this season, but he had done OK when he came on in his cameo appearances.

We played well at Camp Nou, but we hardly created anything first half, and I believe Shaqiri would have been the solution to unlock Barcas defence, plus he can score from outside the box.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri May 03, 2019 2:41 pm

devaney » Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm wrote:

Let’s leave team selection and tactics to Klopp. He done very well so far this season.[/quote]

Klopp fvcked up imo, playing Wijnaldum up front clearly didn't work, he did ***** all all game apart from forlornly chase their keeper around, playing Milner on such a big pitch wasn't the best idea either, he was awful on the night.
The Gomez one didn't work either but I'll cut him a bit of slack on that one because Trent has been getting caught out in recent weeks so I can see why he did it but ***** me Joe has had something like 15 minutes of competitive football in about 4 or 5 months, that was a big call and unfortunately for us it didn't pay off.
It wasn't all down to poor team selection, luck had a big say in what happened on the night and not just in terms of their goals and our misses, even things like Keita going off leaving us with Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum all on the pitch at the same time didn't help.
Jurgen is a great manager but he over thought it on Wednesday night imo. This Barca team isnt that good, he should have just went for them.
All in all it's been a great season and I doubt any other manager in world football could have got as much out of this group of players as Jurgen has.
Btw I've still got a sneaky feeling that we could do it on Tuesday, as I said this Barca team aren't that good and on European nights anything can happen at our gaff particularly if the fans start to believe.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Red Rum » Fri May 03, 2019 2:45 pm

Well said Yakka, you talk sense. We could do it on Tuesday but the crowd have to play their part and raise the roof.
To win we have to come out at a high tempo and pressing, plus get an early goal to rattle them.
Red Rum
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games