Why are we so useless at corners?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:45 pm

Other teams use them to their advantage. Why dont we?
Thommo's perm

Postby stmichael » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Its been a huge bugbear of mine for years now. We must be the worst team in the League when it comes to corners. Even Adam's delivery has been poor in the past few games.

A lot of the problem is we don't have anybody who really attacks the ball in the air bar Carroll and occasionally Skrtel anyway.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ethanr » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Definitely wasteful on corners.  Adam's corners have been poor, and Carroll is really our go-to guy, but he hasn't been playing much.  Suarez is small so isn't much use in the air on corners.  Skrtel and Agger can win them, but they aren't the best at placing them where they need to go.

Adam needs to get his corners sorted, and he needs to start hitting Carroll.  Just having Carroll in there is a huge distraction, but we need to use him better then we are.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby RedSi35 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:24 pm

Funny about Adam's corners, last season Blackpool were top of the league in relation to goals from corners ( 11 goals from 130 corners )

Compared to Liverpool ( 4 goals from 140 corners ) we are :censored: :)

http://upthepool.blogspot.com/2011/02/cornering-goals-market.html
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:53 pm

Lack of practice. We don't get enough.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Its more tactical wise and the players we have who are good at connecting with the ball in the air. The only players who I can think of is Carroll and Skrtel, other than that there aren't so many Liverpool players who are good enough in the air in set pieces.

When we had Hyypia, we had no problems scoring in corners, Hyypia would just get to the end of it and score, because it was one of his strengths.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:21 pm

metalhead wrote:Its more tactical wise and the players we have who are good at connecting with the ball in the air. The only players who I can think of is Carroll and Skrtel, other than that there aren't so many Liverpool players who are good enough in the air in set pieces.

When we had Hyypia, we had no problems scoring in corners, Hyypia would just get to the end of it and score, because it was one of his strengths.

Then it doesnt make sense
Why put a ball in a place where you know no-ones going to be? Might as well not take it if all thats being done is basically giving posession to the opposition.
People get excited time and again when we win a corner, only to be let down as it comes to nothing. I dont even bother standing up when we get one anymore.
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:27 pm

lol,were terrible from corners.
it looks like we have no plan whatsoever when we take them, and too often get nowhere near it when it is crossed in.
all our players just bunch up in the box and they are too easy to defend against when you can throw a blanket over them.our set pieces and deliverys from wide have been poor now for a few years.
you would think that with the foot of adam and the height and head of carroll we would have scored double figures by now with the amount of corners we have had this season.
it is an area that definately could improve.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:10 pm

Its shocking that a clear goal scoring opportunity is not seen as important to KK and the players
Thommo's perm

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:03 am

Its not just corners though, our overall attacking play isn't good enough. So many times we have hit the ball straight at the keeper to make him man of the match. Our first goal against Chelsea was a welcome change as the build up to it shows we have the players capable of that kind of movement. I think, and I have thought for a long time now, we need a fresh attitude when it comes to training and the attacking coaches that we have.

We need to stop wasting set pieces and we need to stop making the oppositions goalkeeper man of the match.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:19 am

Maybe we should just become a bit more inventive and do short corners allowing suarez to dribble diaganolly into the box or tee adam up from the edge of the box? If we are :censored: at heading let's keep it on the floor. Just my opinion though :)
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:32 am

i think it's down to our inability to cross the ball.

As good as we were against City, most of our corners failed to beat the first defender!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:50 am

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:Maybe we should just become a bit more inventive and do short corners allowing suarez to dribble diaganolly into the box or tee adam up from the edge of the box? If we are :censored: at heading let's keep it on the floor. Just my opinion though :)

Common sense says youre right
Whats the point of trying to put crosses in to lads who are 5 feet 6? Opposition defenders must be made up when we get a corner so they can gain possession
Thommo's perm

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:38 pm

We need to work on some things in training.  No point banging it into the box when we only have players like Suarez, Bellamy and Maxi in there. 

Was nice to see Kelly score from a set piece last night though.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:38 pm

jacdaniel wrote:We need to work on some things in training.  No point banging it into the box when we only have players like Suarez, Bellamy and Maxi in there. 

Was nice to see Kelly score from a set piece last night though.

Im sure we could be dangerous from corners but the delivery has to be like last nights to cause any damage
Whip the Fu*king thing in!
:angry:
Thommo's perm

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion