Why are we so useless at corners?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:34 pm

man city had 10 at the weekend and got no goals from them.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 pm

lakes10 wrote:man city had 10 at the weekend and got no goals from them.

That makes me feel better
:upside:
Thommo's perm

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Skrtel scored against Brighton from a direct corner.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:33 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Skrtel scored against Brighton from a direct corner.

Erm I know
I am concerned about how many corners are wasted and useless. I am sure someone has the stats for how many corners we have had so far this season and how many goals, direct or indirect have been scored from them. I dare say it makes for bad reading as I believe we are sh'ite at them.
Thommo's perm

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 pm

we look far more threatening from set pieces these days than we did a while back.
even against united in the cup agger scored from a corner after de gea was put off by carroll`s presence.
carroll, agger and skrtel are really putting pressure on teams at set pieces.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby friendlyguy33 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 pm

The defending at the end of extra time with both of those corners the second of which went in left quite a lot to be desired. Reina doesn't help as I'm guessing that for the Cardiff equaliser the defence thought he would punch it clear but someone should have headed it away it was the only way they were going to equalise from a set piece.
friendlyguy33

Postby Wee_Didit » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:36 pm

Into double figures with the corners again yesterday, close to 20 I think, and we still lost the fooking game. :no
Last edited by Wee_Didit on Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Son, you'll do well here as long as you remember two things. Don't over-eat and don't lose your accent.' - to Ian St John when he signed for Liverpool.
Wee_Didit

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:48 am

Thommo's perm » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 pm wrote:
metalhead wrote:Its more tactical wise and the players we have who are good at connecting with the ball in the air. The only players who I can think of is Carroll and Skrtel, other than that there aren't so many Liverpool players who are good enough in the air in set pieces.

When we had Hyypia, we had no problems scoring in corners, Hyypia would just get to the end of it and score, because it was one of his strengths.

Then it doesnt make sense
Why put a ball in a place where you know no-ones going to be? Might as well not take it if all thats being done is basically giving posession to the opposition.
People get excited time and again when we win a corner, only to be let down as it comes to nothing. I dont even bother standing up when we get one anymore.

The thing is, we need to have more of our players to attack those corners instead of standing around waiting for the ball to come to them. Plus in fact that some of our deliveries in set pieces have been appalling this season, hence another reason why we haven't been scoring enough goals in corners. Adam's ''golden corners'' have deserted him, Downing is a hit and miss and so is Gerrard's. I remember the time when we had Fabio Aurelio and Xabi Alonso having excellent deliveries in set pieces.

anyways, I think we need to revise our strategy in set pieces, get a tactic going that with enough practice it would work and would let our own players attack the ball during set pieces.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion