Why are we so sh#te at corners?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby coddy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:19 pm

stmichael wrote:Bring back Gary Mac. :D

Hear, Hear
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:40 pm

i'd let alonso on them coz i think he gets more whip on them than stevie, just ask gary neville :D
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby Anfield rapper » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:18 pm

Yeah its something that i have been thinking for a couple of years. When Crouch came i thought great we should get a hell of a lot more goals from corners but we haven't. Firstly i don't think Gerrard is comfortable taking them. When he takes them he has a tendancy to rush them and he also seems eager to take a short corner at every oppotunity which usually end up with chance of getting a cross in being lost. This suggests to me that he is not that confident at taking them. Our corner takers need to be confident that they can deliver the ball at around head hight or just above to the area around the penalty spot. We never seem to put the ball there. Its either too short or too long but hardly ever right in front of goal and just far enough away from the keeper.

Beckham was like a golfer. He had a way of addressing the ball he knew the exact problem areas for defending teams and he would put the ball in them everytime. I hate to give them credit but Man U take great freekicks and corners. That goal they scored against us at OT last year after we had them under the cosh the entire game was sickening but i could tell it was coming just by looking at them. They had been defending for most of the game and suddenly they had a chance. It was not rushed or passed short. The danger players moved into position and the delivery was perfect.

Earlier in that same game we had a freekick half way into their half and instead of getting everyone ready for a cross Gerrard took it quickly nobody knew what to do and it was wasted. I'm a big fan of Gerrard before anyone thinks i'm not i just think he's best at taking the shooting chance freekicks.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:37 pm

stmichael wrote:It's an issue which has been troubling me for the last year or so to be honest. How bad are we on corners?

Thoughts?

May be it's because we like playing it square  :D sorry saint couldn't resist.

I think Gerrard and Aurellio should practice curving the ball straight in from the corner, everyone now knows we are cra.p at them so they won't be expecting it. A few hand gestures from the beloved Rafael Benitez on the sidelines, we'll put the opposition off, they won't be expecting it, after six corners will be leading by at least 3-0.

Problemo solved for sure  :nod
Last edited by zarababe on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:36 pm

stmichael wrote:And all the new fancy type of corner kicks we try in which we have two people near the corner flag and have them pass to each other a couple of times before crossing makes me even more pi$$ed.

:nod
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:53 pm

zarababe wrote:May be it's because we like playing it square  :D sorry saint couldn't resist.

for that zara, you get one of these:

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby CousinIT » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Why are we so sh!te at corners? The answer is easy. Zonal marking.
You'll Never Walk Alone

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
7 FA Cups
7 League Cups
CousinIT

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:53 pm

CousinIT wrote:Why are we so sh!te at corners? The answer is easy. Zonal marking.

Ermmm...I think he means sh!te at attacking corners rather than defending them.  ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby timmit » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:56 pm

This is not a new phenomenon. It was a problem in the 90s too. Sure a few of you remember a fanzine of ours "Another wasted corner"

As someone mentions earlier, we dont seem to attack the ball enough any more and no one makes a late run from deep
We are the champions, champions of Europe
timmit

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:34 am

timmit wrote:This is not a new phenomenon. It was a problem in the 90s too. Sure a few of you remember a fanzine of ours "Another wasted corner"

yeah i remember that.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby aminz » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:49 am

prefered Alonso to take the corners...

:cool:
aminz

Postby Espionage » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:59 am

The truth is Alonso plays a holding role, and he covers Hypia's back when he goes forward.  So we cant have Alonso going forward for corners without having someone else stay back.

I wish I knew why we sucked so bad at them, I get a bit frustrated when I see all this messing around with short corners or long corners trying to get volleys from Riise.  We have good height and strong people in the air.  We should do the old fashion put it in the danger zone.  Something like Crouch's goal vs. Man U
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:10 am

Just a thought, but in Spain they don't really have the same aerial play as in ENgland. COuld this be a factor? Could Rafa be employing the wrong kind of tactics in the whole scenario of corner-taking?

On the other side of the coin, Sami is our only true threat at corners, with Crouch being a shocking header of the ball, Stevie swinging the balls in, and Robbie being a short-a*se.

The thing that really intrigues me, is God scored a heck of a lot of headers under Souness and Evans, yet hardly got any under Houllier, and the same under Rafa.

Could it be as simple as being managed by a foreign coach?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mannyk » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:57 am

There is a good chance we score from a corner the next game to shut us up  :D
Mannyk

Postby akumaface » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:27 am

I just think now we are not being direct enough to create havoc in front of our opponents goal.  I saw we tried to hit the ball to far post and then have someone to head it back to the middle to create a second chance. This is too indirect and is not really effective in my view.  I think they also have to keep the corner kick lower and not as high as now.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion