Why are we so sh#te at corners?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:36 am

I'd be interested to see if anyone has any stats on it, but I reckon we'd probably have the worst conversion rate in terms of corners per goal in the league.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:15 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Last year Liverpool had the most corners in the Premiership, after 28 games( I Don't have the full figures for end of season). It was at this stage 195 corners in 28 league games, guess how many we scored directly from?

2   -   Gerrard V Chelsea
          Luis   V Wigan

And both of these were not headers, Gerrards was a volley, Luis was a divert off his knee of Mori's header. WTF is that all about? The most corners in the league and NOT ONE HEADED GOAL ???

Heres the stats at the 28 game mark  LFC #1.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:26 am

This is not a knock on the top man, but Rafa always seems to go on about getting width to get crosses into the box, but I think first and foremost he has to look at our corners. Do you all think he is adressing the problem?
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Not Too Xabi » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:25 pm

We were toss again tonight.

Hardly beat the first defender. If you can't do that as a professional player, I seriously think you should be fined a weeks wages. Criminal.  :angry:
Not Too Xabi

Postby zarababe » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:22 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
CousinIT wrote:Why are we so sh!te at corners? The answer is easy. Zonal marking.

Ermmm...I think he means sh!te at attacking corners rather than defending them.  ???

:D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:23 pm

stmichael wrote:
zarababe wrote:May be it's because we like playing it square  :D sorry saint couldn't resist.

for that zara, you get one of these:

:D

:D that's cool saint, it's raining buckets down in cockney land I need a rain coat  :nod
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:38 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:Last year Liverpool had the most corners in the Premiership, after 28 games( I Don't have the full figures for end of season). It was at this stage 195 corners in 28 league games, guess how many we scored directly from?

2   -   Gerrard V Chelsea
          Luis   V Wigan

And both of these were not headers, Gerrards was a volley, Luis was a divert off his knee of Mori's header. WTF is that all about? The most corners in the league and NOT ONE HEADED GOAL ???

Heres the stats at the 28 game mark  LFC #1.

Cheers Rafa dodd. Pretty much sums up how poor we really are at corners.

TBH about 100 of those 195 probably never got into the box because of some ridiculous short corner routine.  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Our whole set up when taking corners needs to be examined. I've lost count of the number of times the ball has either sailed over the mob in the six yd box or been partially cleared to the D , and we don't have a spare player lurking to pick up the ball . We got fouteen corners in a match the other week and got f'uck all out of them .

As has been pointed out in this thread , we have the tallest squad in the prem , for f'ucks sake if we can't latch onto the first ball from a corner we should at least be prepared to pick up the clearance .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:59 pm

There's probably a couple of reasons but I'd be surprised if our goals per corner ratio is much worse than most teams. The simple fact of the matter is that they are not so hard to defend against, unlike a free-kick on the diagonal where the possibility that the cross might evade everybody and go directly in causes many more variables and therefore confusion.

From a corner, provided the defending team ensures that they have the first man in the area beyond the front post and don't let an attacker get beyond him that's half the battle won. Then theres also the thing that any crossed ball is in danger of being picked off/punched out by the goalkeeper if it's too close to the goal. Add to that the fact that referees allow blocking off and holding and you can quite easily see why managers go bananas when they concede from a direct header from a corner, simply put it shouldn't happen. Usually whatever goals do happen are as a result of a second or third ball being won, or a scramble as a result of a team "keeping the ball alive" in the area.

Why don't we score more often? Well the delivery isn't that great TBH. Aurelio's from the right on Tuesday were very poor. Also, I've long thought it a mistake to have Gerrard taking them as he's a much better header than he is given credit for. Beyond that, it's just a question of fighting for the scraps and relying on alert strikers. Bellamy and Fowler will score for certain if the ball is pinging around inside the box.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:16 am

Should Gerrard still take corners? Aurelio has a mean shot on him, I think we should start letting him take a few.
I dont think teams are worried when we have a corner, when was the last time we scored from one?
Everton and Bolton are bloody nuisances at set pieces.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion