Whose been our best outfield player this season? - I think opinion's will be split on this

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Whose been our best outfield player this season? - I think opinion's will be split on this

Glen Johnson
4%
Jamie Carragher
3%
Emiliano Insua
1%
Dirk Kuyt
19%
Lucas Leiva
19%
Javier Mascherano
32%
Yossi Benayoun
8%
Steven Gerrard
4%
David Ngog
No votes
Fernando Torres
10%

Total votes : 73

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 pm

DrPepe wrote:just saying "of course he is" , doesn't make it so

Haven't you read the forum guide to winning arguments? That's not a classic though, "what a load of rubbish", "you don't half talk sheet", "stats prove nothing" and many many more are classic ways of "proving" someone wrong without making a counterargument.

It is all in the numpties' guide to internet warfare, plenty on here must have a copy
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Owzat wrote:
DrPepe wrote:just saying "of course he is" , doesn't make it so

Haven't you read the forum guide to winning arguments? That's not a classic though, "what a load of rubbish", "you don't half talk sheet", "stats prove nothing" and many many more are classic ways of "proving" someone wrong without making a counterargument.

It is all in the numpties' guide to internet warfare, plenty on here must have a copy

:laugh:

"i don't need stats , I've seen it with my own eyes"

is always a good one  :D
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Should have gone to specsavers....................... :D
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leep33 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:24 am

I voted for Kuyt but for me it could have been Lucas as well.
leep33

Postby Owzat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:14 am

I think Kuyt will suffer from the "I won't vote for Kuyt" brigade, and Mascherano having cult status. We've had an ordinary season, without Kuyt's nine Premiership goals I'd hate to think where we would be now - four of those during Torres' absence, yet he still got flak for the same old, same old criticisms.

To be fair perhaps this should have been a top three, or should be declared as a top three. While I didn't vote Lucas, I could easily have given him as second. I'd probably give my third vote to Carra, for stepping in at RB and always giving his all. All three have proven durable, as reliable and consistent as anyone else who's not been out injured, not OTT and regularly booked or getting red cards, and if you wanted a last ditch tackle or winning goal then you'd look at Carra or Kuyt. While I can understand why Mascherano's attitude is admired by many, his contribution to the team (barring Thursday) is rather one-trick/one-dimensional, and even the one trick he is good at can cost us with yellows, reds and consequent suspensions. Some view it as a must for the team, someone to sit and "protect the back four", but to me you can get much better all-round players who can do a slightly less solid job in winning the ball, but contribute with the odd goal, assist and with better distribution. For every ball won, how many are then given away or possession wasted by his attempts on goal?!?
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:33 am

very interesting votes cast....Mascherano and Kuyt had a very indifferent start to the season but have endeavoured to regain top form over the last few months..the most consistant performer has been Lucas who, despite being compared unfavourably with Alonso, has gone about his job efficiently.Week in week out, unnoticed by a vast majority of "fans", Lucas has worked tirelessly for the team and was often overlooked for an MOM, purely on a single strike for a goal by other players who may have under-performed on the day.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby boodiddy1 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:43 pm

javier mascherano! For me should be given captains arm band when gerrard doesn't play. I love him. Would get into most teams in world football. A cultured steve mmcmahon. hes nasty, angry, tenacious and a lad who really knows what passion is about. Just like teves at city, never ever gives up.

if they want military action against us over falklands, then javier shud be king of the malvinas.
Off to bed, im :censored:. In Korea and fooked
boodiddy1

Postby Scottbot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:I was explaining why Gerrard is suffering on the pitch this season IMO, and because of TRASH around him

Rubbish. Gerrard played in a team with mediocre players of sorts for years, and that was before he had players like Alonso, Masch, Torres, Hamman etc etc around him. Doesn't matter who you have around you, if you're a professional player with a talent, it shines through regardless. It's got nothing to do with who he's playing with this season as much as it's had to do with past players he's been playing with. It's a comination with him not fitting into the hole this season, sulking (possibly) and injuries. The Gerrard I remember was bullish, cocky, even arrogant and spritely. So far this season, I've seen more of the old Gerrard in Mascherano than what I've seen in Gerrard himself. He's playing poorly, and he'd be the first to admit it.[/quote]
how is he supposed to play well when he dosnt receive the ball half as much as he used to, with  his facing the goal the majority of the time? Gerrards no support striker, when Alonso and Torres were around him they made it work, but it clearly dosnt work with inferior players around him. Weve had a couple of games where Gerrard has dropped back into centre midfield and every single time he has made the team improve when he goes back there, because he is able to go and get the ball for himself rather than rely on others to give to him.

Now he hasnt been as good as last year, thats pretty obvious but he was clearly playing injured earlier in the season, and the team set up has just been plain wrong all season. If he was to go into central midfield i guarantee we would see a massive improvement from Gerrard and the whole team.[/quote]
There's no denying Stevie is having a poor season by his own high standards. I don't think it's down to lack of effort, he simply hasn't looked properly fit all season. I don't if it's just me but he looks a little overweight at the moment and doesn't seem as quick. He isn't being helped one bit by Rafa who continues to play him behind the striker which is (unfortunately) a position he is suited ONLY when he has Torres in front of him. It is a COMPLETE waste of his ability to play him there with the awful Ngog or the pedestrian Kuyt up front ahead of him.

On top of which, Gerrard is simply suffering from the general malaise that surrounds the club at the moment. If you think we're shattered by the events of this season, think how he and Carra must be feeling.

I honestly wouldn't blame the lad if he went abroad this summer, wouldn't hold it against him at all.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:03 pm

No one jumps out do they. In terms of their contribution when fit it has to be Torres but i've gone for Mascherano because he's been our best player the past three months ever since he got his head sorted. Be gutted when we lose him in the summer  :(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 pm

Scottbot wrote:No one jumps out do they. In terms of their contribution when fit it has to be Torres but i've gone for Mascherano because he's been our best player the past three months ever since he got his head sorted. Be gutted when we lose him in the summer  :(

im dreading the summer, we cant really be sure who will still be here, potentially the manager and some of the best players could be gone! plus with out financial situation who knows what the future holds  :(
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm dreading the fact the we are standing still and everyone around us are investing. How many years are we going to have to cope with that scenario without real trouble?
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby DrPepe » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:09 pm

Penguins wrote:I'm dreading the fact the we are standing still and everyone around us are investing. How many years are we going to have to cope with that scenario without real trouble?

i think its been a year too long already

if we're not overtaken this season, then we will be next

inevitable
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 am

That's what makes it feel so bad :(
Even if we somehow scrape 4th what will change?
Nothing, that is what. City will spend, Spurs will spend and we will do nothing and hope we get no injuries and get lucky to hold another season.

Sad when there is more money from tv deals, sponsors etc etc and we still invested so much more in the squad 10 years ago :(
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 pm

If anyone needs confirmation that this has been a weird season, here it is. I now deem this poll mature and our best outfield player this season as voted for by Newkit is, Javier Mascherano with almost 1/3 of total votes. His only real competition was Dirk Kuyt and Lucas Leiva, which again is strange, given that most of us agree that central midfield has been our biggest of many problems this year.

Only 2 players failed to score a single vote - David Ngog and the best player I've even seen play in a red shirt - Steven Gerrard.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm

I cant believe that about 50 % of the people in here voted for either Lucas or Kuyt. It is unbelievable.

Two sub-standard nobodys. Pizzin me off every time I see their slow fat bodies W*nk around making silly passes and fouls loosing posession no speed, no control, no creativity, no class, no pace, no agility nothing.

Embarrasing.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion