Whose been our best outfield player this season? - I think opinion's will be split on this

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Whose been our best outfield player this season? - I think opinion's will be split on this

Glen Johnson
4%
Jamie Carragher
3%
Emiliano Insua
1%
Dirk Kuyt
19%
Lucas Leiva
19%
Javier Mascherano
32%
Yossi Benayoun
8%
Steven Gerrard
4%
David Ngog
No votes
Fernando Torres
10%

Total votes : 73

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:33 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Grade A Trash ?!?! Im guessing this is the new age of support now when we are calling our own players trash ?!

Pathetic , no wonder this place is getting quieter and quieter with the amount of Grade A trash being spouted by people , think will stick to the support i see and hear and am part off on the stands of the stadium cause while they might not like certain players or certain tactics they certainly dont disrepect and throw insults on a constant basis at people who pull on the great shirt and work their :censored: off trying the best to please people and to try and succeed for the club and fans only for a minority of sections (mainly people on forums )  to throw it back in their faces .

I got an idea - if you dont like it or want to act like children go and support someone else .

Purely hypothetically, if I bought the team and insisted on playing as striker in every game, would you support me even though I would be :censored:, even compared to Wash? Just curious how far your adoration of any Liverpool player goes? Does it not matter if they are good or bad?
heimdall

Postby stmichael » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:40 pm

hard to vote for anybody because nobody has really been consistent. ever player has had good spells and bad spells. for example johnson started the season really welll but has struggled with injuries and consequently lost form. mascherano started poorly but has improved. same for dirk. insua has talent but is so inconsistent. ngog is just a kid whose been thrust into the limelight too early. riera and benayoun have both been plighted by injury. gerrard has been poor by his standards.

which means by process of elimination you'd have to say either torres (when fit) or lucas. now whether you think lucas' level of consistency is good enough for us is a different matter but the fact is you know what you are going to get game in game out. his performances were much better than mascherano's for the majority of the season for example. torres when fit has still scored 12 league goals in 21 games which is pretty impressive.

reina is the obvious choice (he's been exceptional) but he isn't an outfirld player. he's the only player who's performances have been consistently excellent.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:09 pm

heimdall wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Grade A Trash ?!?! Im guessing this is the new age of support now when we are calling our own players trash ?!

Pathetic , no wonder this place is getting quieter and quieter with the amount of Grade A trash being spouted by people , think will stick to the support i see and hear and am part off on the stands of the stadium cause while they might not like certain players or certain tactics they certainly dont disrepect and throw insults on a constant basis at people who pull on the great shirt and work their :censored: off trying the best to please people and to try and succeed for the club and fans only for a minority of sections (mainly people on forums )  to throw it back in their faces .

I got an idea - if you dont like it or want to act like children go and support someone else .

Purely hypothetically, if I bought the team and insisted on playing as striker in every game, would you support me even though I would be :censored:, even compared to Wash? Just curious how far your adoration of any Liverpool player goes? Does it not matter if they are good or bad?

Well so far for a young inexperinced lad he is scoring at a rate of a goal every 4 games so while not doing it all the time is still producing and if I see a player giving his all once he pulls the shirt on then he will get my support fully. As long as a player doesn't disgrace the club while wearing the shirt then they will get my support . Getting on players backs and constantly slating them does nothing positive in my eyes . It's what I witnessed and grew to understand while growing up watching the team . Belief and support through the good times , sticking together through adversity , it's prob something someone who supports us because of our sponser wouldn't understand and fully explains the comment of " if rafa is here next season I will stop watching Liverpool " . That forme is another reason to keep rafa if it helps get rid of Internet telly fair weather fans who only want to support when the team is winning
Benny The Noon

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
heimdall wrote:

Well so far for a young inexperinced lad he is scoring at a rate of a goal every 4 games so while not doing it all the time is still producing and if I see a player giving his all once he pulls the shirt on then he will get my support fully. As long as a player doesn't disgrace the club while wearing the shirt then they will get my support . Getting on players backs and constantly slating them does nothing positive in my eyes . It's what I witnessed and grew to understand while growing up watching the team . Belief and support through the good times , sticking together through adversity , it's prob something someone who supports us because of our sponser wouldn't understand and fully explains the comment of " if rafa is here next season I will stop watching Liverpool " . That forme is another reason to keep rafa if it helps get rid of Internet telly fair weather fans who only want to support when the team is winning

You are misquoting me there and that is a bit naughty.

What I actually said was, if Rafa is still in charge next season then I will take a break from watching football because at the moment, watching us play is too depressing and too boring. I don't think anyone who supports Liverpool for the last 20 odd years, as I have, can really be called a glory hunter or fair weather fan as success has been sporadic at best but i will never be able to support another team, LFC is under my skin.
heimdall

Postby Benny The Noon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Didn't you start supporting the club because they were sponsered by carlsberg ?! They haven't been our sponsor for 20 odd years
Benny The Noon

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:27 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ we all get it your the worlds greatest supporter. Listen were not sitting in the stands right now, so what i call a player isnt effecting anyone. I was explaining why Gerrard is suffering on the pitch this season IMO, and because of TRASH around him

Rubbish. Gerrard played in a team with mediocre players of sorts for years, and that was before he had players like Alonso, Masch, Torres, Hamman etc etc around him. Doesn't matter who you have around you, if you're a professional player with a talent, it shines through regardless. It's got nothing to do with who he's playing with this season as much as it's had to do with past players he's been playing with. It's a comination with him not fitting into the hole this season, sulking (possibly) and injuries. The Gerrard I remember was bullish, cocky, even arrogant and spritely. So far this season, I've seen more of the old Gerrard in Mascherano than what I've seen in Gerrard himself. He's playing poorly, and he'd be the first to admit it.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:29 pm

heimdall wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:
heimdall wrote:
fivecups wrote:Interesting to see Stevie hasn't got a single vote. In fact, I'd say if there was a poll for the player who was playing furthest below expectation he'd win hands down. What is going on with him, his loss of form has probably contributed to our downturn as much as anything else.

IMO Rafa is what is going on with him and also to a big extent Torres. there is something not right in the squad, hasn't been all season, although I of course cannot prove that in any way, it is just my impression and opinion.

:D  :laugh:  :D Rafa injured Gerrard and Torres. Cos that all that's been wrong with them .

So is Stevie injured at the moment then?

Just because he was injured two weeks, or two months ago, there is a thing called recovery and match sharpness. That takes weeks and months to get back.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 pm

Can I change my mind from Lucas to Javier Mascherano.He has been brilliant the past few matches and his passion us is unquestionable.I think if Gerrard was to leave this summer our part of keeping Masch could be to give him the armband as a incentive...

If that fails maybe we could buy some more of his Argentine team mates to tempt him to stay....

Or open more Argentine restaurants in town....

Or after Maradona gets sacked after the world cup we could get him doing a bit of drug dealing on the streets of liverpool.

:D
roberto green

Postby Sabre » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Mascherano.

What a strike today. 

And ironically, when all the rumours and talks said he wanted to leave, about his wife, about Barcelona, he has been the player that have kept the hearts of the fans warm. The statements he said about success not being bought have reached these shores, he kisses the badge today, he's been a true chief in the football front and in the morale front.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:14 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ we all get it your the worlds greatest supporter. Listen were not sitting in the stands right now, so what i call a player isnt effecting anyone. I was explaining why Gerrard is suffering on the pitch this season IMO, and because of TRASH around him

Rubbish. Gerrard played in a team with mediocre players of sorts for years, and that was before he had players like Alonso, Masch, Torres, Hamman etc etc around him. Doesn't matter who you have around you, if you're a professional player with a talent, it shines through regardless. It's got nothing to do with who he's playing with this season as much as it's had to do with past players he's been playing with. It's a comination with him not fitting into the hole this season, sulking (possibly) and injuries. The Gerrard I remember was bullish, cocky, even arrogant and spritely. So far this season, I've seen more of the old Gerrard in Mascherano than what I've seen in Gerrard himself. He's playing poorly, and he'd be the first to admit it.

how is he supposed to play well when he dosnt receive the ball half as much as he used to, with  his facing the goal the majority of the time? Gerrards no support striker, when Alonso and Torres were around him they made it work, but it clearly dosnt work with inferior players around him. Weve had a couple of games where Gerrard has dropped back into centre midfield and every single time he has made the team improve when he goes back there, because he is able to go and get the ball for himself rather than rely on others to give to him.

Now he hasnt been as good as last year, thats pretty obvious but he was clearly playing injured earlier in the season, and the team set up has just been plain wrong all season. If he was to go into central midfield i guarantee we would see a massive improvement from Gerrard and the whole team.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:37 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:If he was to go into central midfield i guarantee we would see a massive improvement from Gerrard and the whole team.

:cool:

hasn't played there regularly for how long?

physically, is he up to it these days? for a whole season?
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:50 am

Pacheco has been the best

when he's come on he's done good things

the other losers, are struggling to get us into forth at present - play pacheco more i say

wheres the OTHERS option ??
Last edited by Judge on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:00 pm

DrPepe wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:If he was to go into central midfield i guarantee we would see a massive improvement from Gerrard and the whole team.

Yes of course he is up to it, bloody hell he's not exactly over the hill is he.
heimdall

Postby DrPepe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:17 pm

heimdall wrote:
DrPepe wrote:

Yes of course he is up to it, bloody hell he's not exactly over the hill is he.

just saying "of course he is" , doesn't make it so

he gets injured rather frequently in his current position, and the CM is physically more demanding

i agree that he can fill in magnificently when needed, but all things being equal,  keep him out of it i say
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby mart » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Sabre wrote:Mascherano.

What a strike today. 

I was amazed he managed to not only get it on target but actually score as well. Masch is great but his shots are usually everywhere except on target.
mart
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion