Fowler
55%

Total votes : 114

Postby marcus.c » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:21 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
DAV wrote:yep, I saw West Ham last night as well
Ashton would of (in my opinion) helped alot to solving our striker problem

Crouch, I'm still not so sure, regardless of what RH thinks

Crouch is a decent player. Ashtons a top quality one.

Massive difference in quality.

And over at Liverpool, we need top quality players to compete at the highest level. Players that are decent, can go play in the reserve league.
marcus.c

Postby Pakat » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:23 pm

But we have enough quality players.
Pakat

Postby taff » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:23 pm

I agree with Stu (oh dear)

Crouch has improved the team and must be recognised for having done so. 

We need however a natural goalscorer and that is what Robbie is. With Owen for example he likes the ball to run onto, but we are further up the pitch and the midfield is supporting a lot more this season.  What we needed was that Fowleresque player who has a poachers mind and finishing. 

I hope he has a great few seasons swansong and rtires on a high.

With Morientes, his main partner was a Fowler style player and we could see his confidence and natural ability return with a poacher as a partner.

All in all I see this as a good signing as the main obstacle being Fowlers ambition and mental state of mind look good and the man looks hungry to prove his doubters wrong.

But in the vote I went for Crouch who to me has added a lot to the team and is a selfless player.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:27 pm

it's all about opinions at the end of the day.

crouch cost £7million
ashton cost £7 million
yakubu cost £7 million

who represents the best value for money? ashton is a great player despite the fact that he's got the mobility of a coal truck. yakubu scores goals wherever he goes (only henry has scored more premiership goals in the last three years). however i'm happy with crouch and what he brings to the team.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Pakat » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:29 pm

Honestly, do you think Crouch is worth £7 million?
Pakat

Postby taff » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:36 pm

Yes

Firstly from a squad point of view

Financially he has helped us to our current league position and to the CL position. so from that point of view with the revenue its yes again.

He is young and likely to make the world cup squad and we will see him hold or increase his value

But from someone who thinks that the transfer costs are crazy then no. But as Sven says HOW MUCH for SWP.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:51 pm

stmichael wrote:it's all about opinions at the end of the day.

crouch cost £7million
ashton cost £7 million
yakubu cost £7 million

who represents the best value for money? ashton is a great player despite the fact that he's got the mobility of a coal truck. yakubu scores goals wherever he goes (only henry has scored more premiership goals in the last three years). however i'm happy with crouch and what he brings to the team.

Ashton has the mobility of a coal truck?

You're well off the mark mate, suggest you watch the lad play. He can move. He's not Owen or Yakubu or Defoe, but he's no Crouch, Morientes or Shearer either.

Cracking player and one we completely missed the boat with. He'll always score goals and adds ALOT to the general play of the team, if anyone saw his goal yesterday they'd see how good he is. Holds the ball up, plays a superb switch of play to the right hand side near the centre circle to the right back in oceans of space, turns heads towards goal while the full back is carrying the ball then takes up a good position at the back posts, gambles then gets himself an easy headed goal.

The goal summed him up brilliantly.
115-1073096938

Postby DAV » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:01 pm

got to agree with STU on that 1

mobility of a coal truck?get real and watch him play
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:54 pm

stu_the_red wrote:To be a great forward you don't have to score 20 goals a season.

Bergkamp, Litmanen, Rooney, Ibrahimovic etc etc etc.

There are other things they can contribute.

Crouch contributes and is a good squad player and a good option. He makes alot of goals. Good players are involved in the creating of goals, if its as simple as just getting goalscorers we'd have a team full of centre forwards. You need a mix, Crouch gets the best out of Steven Gerrard's attacking play. He holds the ball up allowing Gerrard to get forward and plays intelligent passes to players in good positions.

Crouch isn't a bad player, anyone who can't see that... as Rafa rightly said, doesn't know football.

Good point but I dont think Crouch can be compared to these guys.  Bergkamp, Litmanen, Rooney and Ibrahimovic are all World class footballers.  They are all technically gifted and can create so much for a team.

Peter Crouch is nowhere nere World class and any of the above mentioned would bring a whole lot more to our side than Crouch does. 

Ibrahomovic is a big guy but the difference between him and Crouch is huge!!!
puroresu

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:16 pm

puroresu wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:To be a great forward you don't have to score 20 goals a season.

Bergkamp, Litmanen, Rooney, Ibrahimovic etc etc etc.

There are other things they can contribute.

Crouch contributes and is a good squad player and a good option. He makes alot of goals. Good players are involved in the creating of goals, if its as simple as just getting goalscorers we'd have a team full of centre forwards. You need a mix, Crouch gets the best out of Steven Gerrard's attacking play. He holds the ball up allowing Gerrard to get forward and plays intelligent passes to players in good positions.

Crouch isn't a bad player, anyone who can't see that... as Rafa rightly said, doesn't know football.

Good point but I dont think Crouch can be compared to these guys.  Bergkamp, Litmanen, Rooney and Ibrahimovic are all World class footballers.  They are all technically gifted and can create so much for a team.

Peter Crouch is nowhere nere World class and any of the above mentioned would bring a whole lot more to our side than Crouch does. 

Ibrahomovic is a big guy but the difference between him and Crouch is huge!!!

Puroresu, don't misquote me mate, i'm not saying Crouch is world class or as good as these players. Seemingly by your post you can see that.

I'm simply pointing out you don't have to score goals to be of use to a team. I hear people saying playing upfront is all about scoring goals, i'm sorry but it isn't.

The number one thing is to do what is right for the team. It always has been, always will be, in every position.

Crouch does that, if he doesn't, he at least tries to do that.

He has his plus points aswell as his negatives. Yes he's a limited player but yes he has ability aswell.

Sissy doesn't do whats right for the team, he does nothing. If Sissy is one on one with a goalkeeper with Gerrard next to him expecting a tap in i'd expect him to take the chance himself, personally i'm ALWAYS of the opinion you should be unselfish. Look at Henry, Fowler, Owen. All these players take chances and are slightly selfish, but you know they'll pass to someone in a better position nine times out of ten.
115-1073096938

Postby coolsobs » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:43 pm

If you notice in the match against arsenal our only striker who went for the rebound was fowler (aside for garcia). When Garcia scored the rebound from haman's show was actually closer to cisse who barely moved an inch. Cisse needs to get some striker's insticts.
coolsobs

Postby johnny b the great » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:13 pm

fowler wasn't on the field and went for the rebound that cisse must really be :censored::D
johnny b the great

Postby johnny b the great » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:15 pm

garcia would be the best option on current form, on class robbie and moro would be the best.
johnny b the great

Postby johnny b the great » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:21 pm

garcia would be the best option as a striker on current form, on class robbie and moro would be the best.
me wrote:johnny b the great RUNS!
johnny b the great

Postby neil » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:04 pm

why did you add "as a striker" from your re-submitted post. ???
Last edited by neil on Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion