18%
Kuyt (haha joke)
5%
Other (for Mick)
2%

Total votes : 66

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:35 am

Who do you think?

I have tried to keep the names as players we remember so no Hunt, also I left Kenny out as he played second striker role.

this is not a vote for who is the most iconic, simply who is the best striker, best finisher, interesting to see if people rate torres better than fowler or rush in their prime.
112-1077774096

Postby GYBS » Mon May 18, 2009 8:40 am

Rush - hands down .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon May 18, 2009 8:46 am

Rush hands down.

Torres is a great modern player. I bet he would be able to bang goals by the dozen if he had the service Rush had and the quality around Rush in the present team.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon May 18, 2009 8:55 am

I had to vote "others" I'm afraid Pee :laugh:. I must confess I would have done so anyway and probably will in every poll from now on, but the best reason I can think of is that for me you haven't included the most deadly "finisher" of all which was Aldo. Not as good a player as Rush and obviously didn't have the tools which Torres has got, but as foxes in the box go he was about as wily as the wily fox World Champion.

The best "player" of all isn't in there either. It's obviously King Kenny although I understand and respect your reasons for not putting him in. Similarly, I understand your reasons for not including Peter Beardsley. He was an absolutely wonderful player though I think, and if he wasn't the best striker he would be amongst the "others" who was certainly the best to watch.

If you held a gun to my head though, if others wasn't an option, lets see.

He wouldn't be as visionary as a Dalglish, or as slippery or inventive as a Beardsley. He wouldn't posses the dead-eyed clinical finish of an Aldo, ghosting into pockets of space and seemingly never missing when the opportunity came. He wouldn't be as good in the air as a Fowler either, nor possess that God given talent for sheer right place at the right time instinct, nor that ability to strike a football with his left foot foot sweeter than anyone you could name. He probably wouldn't quite have that afterburner pace of an Owen in his prime, that blistering turn of foot which can spin a match on it's head like Owen did at the Millenium.

He's no slouch though, and if he's not as quick as the absolute quickest he's strong enough to compensate. He's brave as a lion, both in the way he'll come back after missing and in the way he'll put his head in where it hurts. He protects the football with his body, and although he follows the modern football mantra of going to ground under contact, he'll mix it with the biggest and hardest. He hits it great with both feet, and is much better in the air than he's often given credit for. IMHO he is the best striker in World football today, and IMHO he is the best "striker" that Liverpool have ever had. Those who have suffered my posts about the likes of Fowler and Rush over the years will know that is praise indeed.

I don't say such things lightly. Step forward Fernando Torres, truly a diamond amongst gems.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon May 18, 2009 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon May 18, 2009 9:01 am

If torres keeps going the way he is then i think he will go past rush but for pure clinical finishing then rush had the lot , clever , pace when needed , finished with left foot, right foot and head on equal measures . Fowler in terms of talent was pretty damn close to rush and also had the ability to score from distance as well . Aldo was the perfect fox in the box and seemed to get on the end of everything barnes and beardsley put on a plate for him . Torres has traits of all of them in him .

1.Rush
2.Torres
3.Fowler
4.Aldo
5.Kuyt :;):
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:07 am

Feck me Mick, have you been on a writing course   :laugh:

yeah Aldo, I knew someone was missing, sorry, i was too busy trying to sean dundee out of my head   :D
112-1077774096

Postby tubby » Mon May 18, 2009 9:12 am

Has to be Rush. Torres is good but you can't put him in that bracket yet after only 2 seasons. He has the potential though.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon May 18, 2009 9:14 am

peewee wrote:Feck me Mick, have you been on a writing course   :laugh:

yeah Aldo, I knew someone was missing, sorry, i was too busy trying to sean dundee out of my head   :D

Writing course  :laugh: No, writing b0ll0cks just comes to me naturally, no course required.

I must take issue though with the poll. Not only did you miss out Dundee, but I notice that Fernando Morientes isn't there, one of my favourite players  ???  :(

What's next, a "best midfielder" poll with no Bolo Zenden    :wwww

(I'm in a "smiley" mood tonight, so apologies if I'm using them in completely inappropiate places).
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon May 18, 2009 9:24 am

Been on the whiskey tonight mick ? :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon May 18, 2009 1:01 pm

I voted before reading the comments and went straight for Rush, the guy was pure class.

Anyone voting for Torres is forgetting the skills of the past, thus far there are a number of strikers who have contributed more to the general performance of the team than Torres, he might get there but only in 3 seasons to change my mind.

1.Rush
2. Fowler
3. Tosh
4. Owen
5. Torres
Last edited by Reg on Mon May 18, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Mon May 18, 2009 1:01 pm

Did these thread really need the sly Kuyt dig? Hes a winger now end of. And Ian Rush was a goal scoring phenomenon. I could'nt see his record ever being beaten. The master of the diagonal run!
burjennio

Postby Toffeehater » Mon May 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Owen for me as i was too young probably rush was approaching the end of his career and i didn't get the chance to see him play . Owen had predator like instinct and would have been a legend had he stayed .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon May 18, 2009 1:13 pm

burjennio wrote:Did these thread really need the sly Kuyt dig? Hes a winger now end of. And Ian Rush was a goal scoring phenomenon. I could'nt see his record ever being beaten. The master of the diagonal run!

some people will give the old kuyt dig at every possible chance , think its inbreed into them  :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 pm

I voted Fowler, although the other names on the list are all fantastic strikers, well with the exception of Kuyt of course.

Fowler is the most natural striker I have ever had the pleasure of seeing, able to create something out of absolutely nothing, and of moments of true footballing genius. Plus he knew how to take the p1ss out of the bitters.

At Liverpool we really have had more than our fair share of outstanding strikers haven't we, it's just a shame that at the time we had Robbie and Owen we had a :censored: defence and terrible managers.  :sniffle
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Mon May 18, 2009 1:28 pm

I think the answer will all come down on what age bracket you are in and when you started watching Liverpool - I never really got to see Tosh and Hunt but i expect they are up their with the best - Surprised keegan hasnt been mentioned yet as the guy was class as well . Fowler if he hadnt of had his injuries and then been sold by GH mmight of gone onto break Rushes record.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion