7 th
5%
8 th
No votes
Lower than 8 th
3%

Total votes : 66

Postby devaney » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:43 pm

Maybe you're right about Collicini and it is just that nobody else can see it. He plays for Newcastle who for a long time last season were struggling towards the bottom of the league. If he really is any good surely he would have been snapped up by a top team.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Collocini was also part of a back four in a team that nearly finished in CL places the season before. Suffered a bit of injury last season and personal problems and expect him to return back to Argentina soon. Very solid defender - was a big reason Newcastle did well the other season but can't see him staying in the prem for much longer
Benny The Noon

Postby Doeboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Obviously still very early but I am looking at our supposed rivals for 4th i.e Arsenal and Spurs and they they do look very strong and actually think they both may even have a chance of disloging one of the top 3. Think they are better equipped to handle injuries/suspensions than us but I'm hoping the fact we are not in europe means our players will be fresher come the business end of the season to at least be in the mix for 4th.

Although looking at the squads Arsenal and especially Spurs have, not too sure how much benefit we are going to get out of it because those two teams have the ability to rest players with their squads. I really want us and think we should be up there with a shout for 4th and not way off like the last couple of seasons. If we can do that, we are progressing even if we miss out on 4th. Another season where we are way off the race and I'd begin to ask some serious questions. A lot will depend on Suarez and Coutinho avoiding injuries/suspensions as those two are on a completely different level to anything else we have and are match winners. Hopefully some strengthening in January will occur to
Doeboy

Postby laza » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:47 am

7 games down and my summer prediction back on track   :buttrock:D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redno7 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:44 am

I'm not sure we've got the legs to finish top but I'd have a few quid on us landing in 2nd place
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:04 am

redno7 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:44 am wrote:I'm not sure we've got the legs to finish top but I'd have a few quid on us landing in 2nd place

we`ll get more of an idea of how we`ll do next month when we have to play arsenal and everton in the space of 3 weeks (both away)
at the moment the fixtures have been kind to us, the only top side we`ve played is united and they are in the middle of their worst start in decades.
in the grand scheme of things 2 draws wouldnt be the end of the world (especially if we win our home games against arsenal and everton and take 4 points from them) but if we can get 4-6 points from those 2 away fixtures next month then anything is possible.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:00 pm

As much as i'm enjoying our good start to the season, I won't be taking the league table too seriously until January.  Top 4 has to be the goal and anything else will be a bonus.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:28 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:00 pm wrote:As much as i'm enjoying our good start to the season, I won't be taking the league table too seriously until January.  Top 4 has to be the goal and anything else will be a bonus.

Agree. League won't start taking shape until Novemberish. We've had a very good start to the season. Last 2 wins have been good but they are games we should be winning so not getting too excited. We went out there and did what we had to do so happy about that.

The next three games against Newcastle, WBA and Arsenal will be more of a tougher test, so lets hope we can keep our form going. Without no Europa and out of the League cup, focus is clear until the FA cup starts so lets make the most of it
Doeboy

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:46 am

Next 3 games

Newcastle A
WBA H
Arsenal A

Take more than 6 points and we are contenders

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:07 am

I can't believe for one second people are entertaining this idea Liverpool will finish anywhere near first...

Fourth at best if we stay injury free and play well at the right times. Otherwise its going to be sixth, which is pretty much a failiure in my view.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:17 am

More chance of liverpool winning the league this year then any of your golf stories being true sweetheart

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:32 am

I reckon if it wasn't for all these fornicating international breaks we already would be champions  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:47 am

Looking good for champions...7 games in , only playing one half per game, carrying players  and we are yet to see the attacking trio of Coutinho, Sturridge and Suarez reek havoc........can't wait for the next game......glass is well half full ( the 1st half at least)
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 pm

I always try to break the league down into 3 types of opponents.
There are the big teams like Utd, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.  These are like bonus matches were hopefully we can pick up as many points as possible. 
Then there are midtable teams.  We should be beaten these at Anfield and maybe drawing away from home.
Then there are the bottom teams that we should be beaten home and away.

If you beat all the bottom teams home and away, beat the middle teams at home and draw away, and take some points from the top teams it should definitely be enough for top 4, which is our target. 

Its obviously not some rocket science proven method but just something I do to try and gauge how we're doing based on who we've already played.   

Using that logic

Beating Stoke at home = expected
Beating Villa away = 2 points gained
Beating United at home = 3 points gained
Drawing with Swansea = Expected
Losing to Southampton = 3 points dropped
Beating Sunderland = expected
Beating Palace = expected

Right now we are probably were we should be or maybe a point or 2 better off.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:15 pm

jacdaniel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:20 am wrote:I always try to break the league down into 3 types of opponents.
There are the big teams like Utd, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.  These are like bonus matches were hopefully we can pick up as many points as possible. 
Then there are midtable teams.  We should be beaten these at Anfield and maybe drawing away from home.
Then there are the bottom teams that we should be beaten home and away.

If you beat all the bottom teams home and away, beat the middle teams at home and draw away, and take some points from the top teams it should definitely be enough for top 4, which is our target. 

Its obviously not some rocket science proven method but just something I do to try and gauge how we're doing based on who we've already played.   

Using that logic

Beating Stoke at home = expected
Beating Villa away = 2 points gained
Beating United at home = 3 points gained
Drawing with Swansea = Expected
Losing to Southampton = 3 points dropped
Beating Sunderland = expected
Beating Palace = expected

Right now we are probably were we should be or maybe a point or 2 better off.

Interestingly the Times Fink Tank has a season end predictor. Using their expected points calculation model we are down to finish 6th. http://www.dectech.co.uk/football_sites ... verall.php

Obviously this moves with each result, I hope our progress continues and our future fixtures become more predictable in our favour.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion