7 th
5%
8 th
No votes
Lower than 8 th
3%

Total votes : 66

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 pm

StuYesThatStu » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:07 am wrote:I can't believe for one second people are entertaining this idea Liverpool will finish anywhere near first...

Fourth at best if we stay injury free and play well at the right times. Otherwise its going to be sixth, which is pretty much a failiure in my view.

Gotta agree with this, we have no chance of finishing 1st, we dont have enough good players and the squad is too thin, although i am pleased to see us make an excellent start we will more than likely fade away once it gets tougher around christmas time. The bright side is that no team looks exceptional in this league and hopefully we can pip someone for a top four place, but i reckon we will end up in 5th, which is one place up from my original estimate  :D
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:03 pm

LFC1990 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:17 am wrote:More chance of liverpool winning the league this year then any of your golf stories being true sweetheart

:laugh:
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:15 pm wrote:
jacdaniel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:20 am wrote:I always try to break the league down into 3 types of opponents.
There are the big teams like Utd, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.  These are like bonus matches were hopefully we can pick up as many points as possible. 
Then there are midtable teams.  We should be beaten these at Anfield and maybe drawing away from home.
Then there are the bottom teams that we should be beaten home and away.

If you beat all the bottom teams home and away, beat the middle teams at home and draw away, and take some points from the top teams it should definitely be enough for top 4, which is our target. 

Its obviously not some rocket science proven method but just something I do to try and gauge how we're doing based on who we've already played.   

Using that logic

Beating Stoke at home = expected
Beating Villa away = 2 points gained
Beating United at home = 3 points gained
Drawing with Swansea = Expected
Losing to Southampton = 3 points dropped
Beating Sunderland = expected
Beating Palace = expected

Right now we are probably were we should be or maybe a point or 2 better off.

Interestingly the Times Fink Tank has a season end predictor. Using their expected points calculation model we are down to finish 6th. http://www.dectech.co.uk/football_sites ... verall.php

Obviously this moves with each result, I hope our progress continues and our future fixtures become more predictable in our favour.

Wouldnt be surprised if we finished 6th.  That what my guess was originally.
Its a strange league so far though and I think it will become a bit clearer after the next 5 or 6 games.

Are Arsenal ready for a title challenge or have they just had easy enough games?  (They got more points from last years corresponding fixtures I believe)
Are we ready for a top 4 challenge or have we just had a run of winnable games?
Has Moyes ruined the Mancs or will they start to climb after a tough start?
Will City continue to drop silly points away from home? 

I think next month some of these questions will be answered.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:54 pm

all we can do is hope we found that consistency we are looking for in coutinho, suarez and sturridge. they are good enough to beat anyone on their day and when they are in the side they put us firmly on the front foot.
after the next 3-4 games a gap will have opened separating the top 4 and if we can be in that group then we will have had a great start and have every chance of making top 4.
i have voted 6th but am hoping to be wrong at the end of the season.

BTW has benny being abducted ?
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:59 pm

jacdaniel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:15 pm wrote:
jacdaniel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:20 am wrote:I always try to break the league down into 3 types of opponents.
There are the big teams like Utd, City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.  These are like bonus matches were hopefully we can pick up as many points as possible. 
Then there are midtable teams.  We should be beaten these at Anfield and maybe drawing away from home.
Then there are the bottom teams that we should be beaten home and away.

If you beat all the bottom teams home and away, beat the middle teams at home and draw away, and take some points from the top teams it should definitely be enough for top 4, which is our target. 

Its obviously not some rocket science proven method but just something I do to try and gauge how we're doing based on who we've already played.   

Using that logic

Beating Stoke at home = expected
Beating Villa away = 2 points gained
Beating United at home = 3 points gained
Drawing with Swansea = Expected
Losing to Southampton = 3 points dropped
Beating Sunderland = expected
Beating Palace = expected

Right now we are probably were we should be or maybe a point or 2 better off.

Interestingly the Times Fink Tank has a season end predictor. Using their expected points calculation model we are down to finish 6th. http://www.dectech.co.uk/football_sites ... verall.php

Obviously this moves with each result, I hope our progress continues and our future fixtures become more predictable in our favour.

Wouldnt be surprised if we finished 6th.  That what my guess was originally.
Its a strange league so far though and I think it will become a bit clearer after the next 5 or 6 games.

Are Arsenal ready for a title challenge or have they just had easy enough games?  (They got more points from last years corresponding fixtures I believe)
Are we ready for a top 4 challenge or have we just had a run of winnable games?
Has Moyes ruined the Mancs or will they start to climb after a tough start?
Will City continue to drop silly points away from home? 

I think next month some of these questions will be answered.

imo arsenal are challenger's this year. someone has to take advantage of the managerial changes and its wenger. we talk about the great form we have since january but not forgetting that arsenal have also been outstanding. ozil has given the whole team belief and adds that playmaking quality that they needed. im not surprised that they are top and id expect them to be the team to beat this year.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby dundreamin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:25 am

Has anyone noticed were WE are? Joint top. Have some faith in our team. You read some of these posts and you would think we were in the bottom 3
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:41 am

dundreamin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:25 am wrote:Has anyone noticed were WE are? Joint top. Have some faith in our team. You read some of these posts and you would think we were in the bottom 3

Exactly.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:29 am

dundreamin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:25 am wrote:Has anyone noticed were WE are? Joint top. Have some faith in our team. You read some of these posts and you would think we were in the bottom 3

Too bloody true I may have slight thick rose coloured glasses when assessing our chances but level of negativity despite our start to this season does beggar belief

When you consider Suarez summer saga, a new goalie and major changes in the defence, second half fading, Father time pulling a lot harder on Stevie G shirt then ever before, and the fact that even manager concedes we aren't  firing on all cylinders yet. Despite all this we are equal top, rejoice in it I say
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:26 am

laza » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 am wrote:
dundreamin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:25 am wrote:Has anyone noticed were WE are? Joint top. Have some faith in our team. You read some of these posts and you would think we were in the bottom 3

Too bloody true I may have slight thick rose coloured glasses when assessing our chances but level of negativity despite our start to this season does beggar belief

When you consider Suarez summer saga, a new goalie and major changes in the defence, second half fading, Father time pulling a lot harder on Stevie G shirt then ever before, and the fact that even manager concedes we aren't  firing on all cylinders yet. Despite all this we are equal top, rejoice in it I say

you cant really blame people for being a fraction pessimistic, lets face it over the last 23 years we have seen this movie before and it never seems to end well.
the one thing i will say is that i dont think there are one or two outstanding sides this season that will carry all before them, i think there`s a pack 6 or 7 clubs that are pretty evenly matched and we are deffo one of those.
we have certainly got a chance of doing something amazing but i think for us to do that our midfield has got to start firing on all cylinders, at the moment we are just doing enough to get the 3 points but i think we will have to do more than just going through the motions when we play both arsenal and everton away from home early next month.
those two games will be a good litmus test in terms of showing us where we are at, yes we are joint top but the only top side we have played is united and they are in the middle of their worst start since we last won the title.
arsenal are in the same situation as us, they are collecting plenty of plaudits but the only top side they have played is spurs.
there are teams like chelsea who are up our @rses points wise but in the first 7 games have played united, everton and spurs all away from home.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:12 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:26 am wrote:
laza » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 am wrote:

you cant really blame people for being a fraction pessimistic, lets face it over the last 23 years we have seen this movie before and it never seems to end well.
the one thing i will say is that i dont think there are one or two outstanding sides this season that will carry all before them, i think there`s a pack 6 or 7 clubs that are pretty evenly matched and we are deffo one of those.
we have certainly got a chance of doing something amazing but i think for us to do that our midfield has got to start firing on all cylinders, at the moment we are just doing enough to get the 3 points but i think we will have to do more than just going through the motions when we play both arsenal and everton away from home early next month.
those two games will be a good litmus test in terms of showing us where we are at, yes we are joint top but the only top side we have played is united and they are in the middle of their worst start since we last won the title.
arsenal are in the same situation as us, they are collecting plenty of plaudits but the only top side they have played is spurs.
there are teams like chelsea who are up our @rses points wise but in the first 7 games have played united, everton and spurs all away from home.

I love this "joint top" lark...

We're second for f*cks sake!! :D

You're right about seeing it all before. I think its fair to say we've been optimistic when we've had far better teams than this scattered with excellent players where as this team isn't. You're point about a lack of outstanding sides is for me though very relative. Granted the outstanding sides in the past few years (Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City) aren't at the same level... but for me, we aren't at the level we were a few years ago either. Had we had the side that finished second a few years ago now, we'd absolutely ***** this league... but we're nowhere near that quality. Infact, I'd say looking at it, we only have Suarez and Enrique (maybe Johnson) who would get into that side of a few years ago.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Not sturridge?

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Ahead of Torres?

Do us a favour lad! Torres was f*cking twice the player Sturridge could ever dream of being!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:00 pm

I initially thought top 4 was out of reach but for me manure and spurs are the teams we need to be looking to get ahead of . I expect both to stutter some more, manure due to moyes taking time to mould the team and the way they play and spurs due to the number of new players they have brought in. Both will eventually find their feet but I'm hoping by then we have a decent lead on them IF we go and do what we have to do . Hopefully when the league starts to take shape, we will have be in a good position although not making the most of situations like today will hurt us
Doeboy

Postby laza » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Summer prediction back on track   :buttrock

Despite the foot coming off the pedal in the second half the rose coloured happy clapping red bus rolls on  :D
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:31 pm

We need to have a big cushion over Spurs going in to April as after we play them they do not have a difficult match, whereas we have to play City and Chelsea at home. If we are level with Spurs after we play them, the odds are great they will not drop points and we may.

We need nine more wins from sixteen matches to be assured of CL football
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion