When is it the right time ! - Steven gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Ok i know many fo you never think of this or mabye you do but i always ask my self when would it be the right time to sell our Stevie G.

Next season mabye one after that or mabye never I know I gonna get trolled for bringing it up thats ok (well it isnt but free speach and all that).

I just think every year that passes he value goes down a few mil and wouldnt it be better to sell for 60-70 mil and bring in 3-4 top players then to have one player fitting into so many roles.

We play him right midfield , center , 2nd striker wouldnt it be better to bring in players to fit all these roles and just say good bye to him.

Dont get me wrong steven has given me so much pleasure over the years he is fantasic players but every thing has to come to an end right ?

Well last time i looked it wasnt like we rolling in the money to sell stevie wouldnt make us a seller it would be keen buisness and some thing i think this club needs at the moment say 70 mil loose change laying around for much needed winger and forward.

Another reason is how liverpool gets pined as a one man team of course torres has helped take that mantle of gerrard a little its gotta be hard to play in a team where if every thing goes right 1 or 2 men get all the credit aint it ?

I just get impression with liverpool over last 15 odd years each season we tend to have 1-2 some times 3 top players and a the rest average i think liverpool needs more ballance.

My final point is gerrard is good but he is getting older every season and my fear is way we spend in transfer market by time we get the players to back up gerrard 100% he be on his way out.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:28 pm

I wouldn't sell him, very few players get to play all their career with the same team, I hope both Carra and Gerrard manage it.

Imagine if we sold Gerrard and bought two top quality players that for whatever reason either didn't settle, adapt, or perform. We know what Gerrard brings to the team, why gamble that against the unknown.

A bird in the hand etc etc
account deleted by request

Postby Aussie Style » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:32 pm

I hope he wears the Liverpool shirt til his legs can no longer move, who wants to ever see Stevie G wearing another clubs shirt?? Fukc that!

Having said that, and I rate him as one of the all time greats, we wouldn't get 60-70 million for him..
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:33 pm

yeah fair point but i dont see us in a postion like a man u to have this type of players that spend all there life at club we need to have good buisness sense and make a killing on him since we wont have team to back him up.

I think this season is key tbh if we dont do well we might have to do this to stand a chance.

Dont get me wrong it be a very sad day and yes who knows if it is right thing but it isnt working in league atm well is it ?

I hate 1 man teams all that pressure on 1 players to get things done and in end that 1 players starts to meen more then the club of course its hard this to happen at liverpool cos we are liverpool but you get my drift right ?
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Yeah I can see your point mate, however I don't believe we are a one man team, nor do I believe any succesful football side is a one man team, it doesnt work like that at all. Sure every team has a 'best' player but you can't rely on one man alone. I hope he only plays for LFC and unless he leaves us, he probably will only play for LFC. You don't sell the heart and soul of our club to become succesful.
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:22 pm

s@int wrote:I wouldn't sell him, very few players get to play all their career with the same team, I hope both Carra and Gerrard manage it.

Imagine if we sold Gerrard and bought two top quality players that for whatever reason either didn't settle, adapt, or perform. We know what Gerrard brings to the team, why gamble that against the unknown.

A bird in the hand etc etc

I would honestly let Gerrard decide, if he wants to leave then we may get a decent fee for him. If that's not for three or four years - or ever - then we get good service out of him. We shouldn't be looking to sell him for the hell of it, it would cost a lot to get a decent replacement for starters with less passion for playing for Liverpool (another reason I would have kept Fowler and sold Crouch)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:23 pm

There is no right time to sell Gerrard, he is possibly the best player to pull on a Liverpool shirt imo, although many will say Dalglish.  Dalglish was amazing, but also had brilliant players around him, Gerrard has carried us for years and only in the last couple of seasons are we starting to surround him with some real quality.

If we ever had to sell Gerrard, then after we won the Champions League was the time.  Chelsea would have paid whatever we asked at that time and we could have rebuilt the team with the money - 40 million was not unrealistic at that time.  These days he probably has about 2 years left at his peak (remember despite being a midfielder, pace is one of his major assets) and for what you'd get for him (which would probably be around 20-25 million), you'd be better off keeping him.  Personally I would never have at any point in the past sold him, and I would never sell him in the future, he's too good.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red to the bone » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:02 pm

IMO selling Gerrard would be a big no-no, he is red through and through, a great role model for future Liverpool stars to aspire to.

He plays with so much passion for LFC that i couldnt see him wearing another jersey and putting his body on the line like he does for Liverpool.

No matter how much money we'd get for him, you cant buy what he brings to the club.

If we were to cash in i couldnt see us gettin more than 30 mil for him( which by liverpool traditions of paying OTT for players would get us :censored: all) .
red to the bone

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:41 pm

from what Gerrard has said, he's staying here until he hangs up his boots!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 pm

red to the bone wrote:IMO selling Gerrard would be a big no-no, he is red through and through, a great role model for future Liverpool stars to aspire to.

He plays with so much passion for LFC that i couldnt see him wearing another jersey and putting his body on the line like he does for Liverpool.

No matter how much money we'd get for him, you cant buy what he brings to the club.

If we were to cash in i couldnt see us gettin more than 30 mil for him( which by liverpool traditions of paying OTT for players would get us :censored: all) .

yeah you say you cant replace him but i feel torres will take over the club top player this season if not already.

He is Mr liverpool but any top player who loves liverpool can be mr liverpool you dont have to come from liverpool for that mantle imo.

I do think you are right ones that said best time to sell he was after CL 2005 but come on i think any club in world would want him so i still think we would get 50-60 mil for him at least.

I just think our club atm need 3 more 20 mil players rather then holding onto 1 60 mil player.

Picture this we sell gerrard we sign Villa , Silva , barry and a right winger of your pick now tell me that isnt mouth watering.

team like this mabye

Reina

M richards...Carra....Agger....Dossena

Silva....Masch....Alonso.....Barry

Villa
                    Torres

For me that team would be a force in prem more then what we have now.

Remeber you could swap Barry for babel
Alonso or barry but i think those players fit to that system

I play silva on rigth cos tbh he looks alot more better there when he played for spain and agian with barry and silva you can switch them around mid game.

Also fu.ck yes in this system i say to alonso do what you did for spain get forward and play kila balls i woldnt be wasting him in defencive duties.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:10 pm

Sell Gerrard? Never!

He's a Red through and through, and he'll never be sold unless he quiets, which is never. Expect him to be here for at least another 6 years.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rafa09 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:18 pm

NEVER. he,s going to manage the club one day
rafa09

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:22 pm

In a few years time when Gerrard hasn't gone the engine to run all day anymore, I reckon he'll make a great right back.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:23 pm

Sell our best player, finish outide the top four, lose UCL money, sell other quality players to correct the deficit...

Probably not a good idea, but if it could be guaranteed that the rest of the squad would remain at the club, I'd consider it reasonable to accept an offer of £200m for Gerrard.

It's completely impractical, imaginery etc.., and I wouldn't entertain it in reality.
LFC2007

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:26 pm

yeah nice to see you all thinking with your hearts more then your heads shows you love your club but please 1 10/10 player isnt better then 3 9/10 players end off.

Also it is a sad day when 1 player is more important then the club and it sounds to me you love gerrard more then liverpool we should be thinking of whats better for liverpool end of day.

Hey just my opinion  :oops:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion