When is it the right time ! - Steven gerrard

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Number 9 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:27 pm

Unless Gerrard ever comes out and says he wants to leave he should be part of LFC.
Even when the day comes that he is past his best and only able to play a bit part role he will still be a massive influence to those around him and a great mentor to the younger players.
Some players were just born to play for LFC,Gerrard and Carragher are two and i doubt we will ever see them in another teams colours!
The  may very well make a good management duo in a years to come.......I would'nt bet against it.
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Carra maybe, but I don't think Gerrard has managerial potential.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby LegBarnes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:30 pm

please dont tell me you are gonna entertain another failed player manager at club if gerrard or carra wanna get into management i think it be better for all parties for them to learn it from lower leagues for 5 years first ,  management is god like hard.
Not many player managers are good alot totaly suck its very hit amd miss.  :no
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:17 pm

LegBarnes wrote:yeah nice to see you all thinking with your hearts more then your heads shows you love your club but please 1 10/10 player isnt better then 3 9/10 players end off.

Also it is a sad day when 1 player is more important then the club and it sounds to me you love gerrard more then liverpool we should be thinking of whats better for liverpool end of day.

Hey just my opinion  :oops:

IMO, what's better for Liverpool is to hold onto the local lad who also happens to be one of the top footballers on the planet.  I'm sorry but I can't see how that's not the smart move.  ???

(And, as an aside, I don't think this attitude is especially unique.  Are the Mancs not looking to hold onto Ronaldo at the moment?  Arguably, he's worth the most he'll ever be on the transfer market after the season he's just had and they could surely use the money he brings in to buy several top players.  Yet, they didn't waste a second telling Madrid to get to f.uck when they expressed an interest.  Money certainly isn't, nor should it be, the bottom line in football.)
Last edited by Bad Bob on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby SupitsJonF » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:19 pm

I would only agree with the selling him if he really wanted to leave.

He is a great player but it's sad he never won a league, so if going to Spain/Italy was on his mind so he can finally win one I don't see the harm.  It's sad when great players don't get to win the award they want.  (We still have time, but its running out!)
SupitsJonF

Postby Red H » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Some things are more important than money. 

Do we want to be a club of mercenaries ?

I can remember watching a documentary on Sky last year, one of the things that stuck with me was SG going through his medals, and shirts etc, and him saying that if he left who would he have to show them to.  We should look at things the same way, it's not just the pound & pence that we need to account for. There must be something more, something which marks us apart from other clubs.  we only need to look down the road at United, could you believe any of our players would angle for a move after winning the double ?  Other teams like Arsenal are struggling to keep their best players, why ?  Loyalty should not be sold to the highest bidder.

In the long term I would wish players like Gerrard & Carragher to found the future of this club even after their playing days stop.
Red H

Postby heimdall » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:26 pm

We would not get anywhere near £50 million for Stevie and that's where the argument falls down. I reckon we might just get somewhere between £25-£30 million and that just isn't enough, he brings so much to the team that selling him for anything less than £100 million would be complete madness in terms of the number of players we would need to replace him. And I'm actually trying to think with my head for once   :p
heimdall

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Red H wrote:Some things are more important than money. 

Do we want to be a club of mercenaries ?

I can remember watching a documentary on Sky last year, one of the things that stuck with me was SG going through his medals, and shirts etc, and him saying that if he left who would he have to show them to.  We should look at things the same way, it's not just the pound & pence that we need to account for. There must be something more, something which marks us apart from other clubs.  we only need to look down the road at United, could you believe any of our players would angle for a move after winning the double ?  Other teams like Arsenal are struggling to keep their best players, why ?  Loyalty should not be sold to the highest bidder.

In the long term I would wish players like Gerrard & Carragher to found the future of this club even after their playing days stop.

Well said, mate.  :nod
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:38 pm

Would never even consider selling steven gerrard , not for even crazy money . There's simply no one in the market good enough to replace him to begin with.
He practically breathes LFC like carra and i hope he stays here till the end of his playing days , be it with or without winning a premier league title .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:04 pm

He will never be sold.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red to the bone » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:21 pm

LegBarnes wrote:yeah you say you cant replace him but i feel torres will take over the club top player this season if not already.

He is Mr liverpool but any top player who loves liverpool can be mr liverpool you dont have to come from liverpool for that mantle imo.

I do think you are right ones that said best time to sell he was after CL 2005 but come on i think any club in world would want him so i still think we would get 50-60 mil for him at least.

I just think our club atm need 3 more 20 mil players rather then holding onto 1 60 mil player.

Picture this we sell gerrard we sign Villa , Silva , barry and a right winger of your pick now tell me that isnt mouth watering.

i'd love to see torres be our top player, it would great for the club if someone other than gerrard was, having 2 players of such quality couldnt be doing us any harm.

50-60mil at least is a bit exxagerated IMO, even IF we got that i think every fan would be gutted to Stevie leave and some of those players you've mentioned would ease the pain a little (although realistically 4 players of that calibre would cost a little more than what we'd get for him) but after he came so close to leaving for chelsea in 2005, i dont he'll ever leave or that the club will want him to go elsewhere.

Definitly one for the backroom staff when he's finished, be it a coach, ambassador or future manager, i wud put my money where my mouth was and say he'll never be leaving :D  :D
Last edited by red to the bone on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red to the bone

Postby zarababe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 pm

Why should we contemplate selling him?  He could left a few seassons ago but said that his family were liverpudlians, and that medals won with the reds would be the only ones that would matter to them - he's a true red and I hope that he stays to  the end of his career, then goes on to coaching and one day managing this great club - STEVIE G  YEH !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:19 pm

You seem to think clubs would be lining up to pay 50/60m, they wouldnt its in your mind, if he was to be sold you would get enough for Villa and no more, so quit the fantasy footy sh!te.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:45 am

Am assuming this is a thread aimed at provoking a bit of debate and that no-one (surely) would actually contemplate selling our talisman. As for his value/performances dropping as he gets older? I can see Gerrard playing till he's (injury permitting) 35/36. If the legs start to go in a few years he will revert to being the defensive midfielder we saw in his earlier career OR he'll be our BEST right-back since Rob Jones.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:16 am

Scottbot wrote:Am assuming this is a thread aimed at provoking a bit of debate and that no-one (surely) would actually contemplate selling our talisman. As for his value/performances dropping as he gets older? I can see Gerrard playing till he's (injury permitting) 35/36. If the legs start to go in a few years he will revert to being the defensive midfielder we saw in his earlier career OR he'll be our BEST right-back since Rob Jones.

yeah spot on i was playing devils advocate a bit.  :devil:

Dont get me wrong lads no one loves the stevie more then me.

FA cup final 120 min dont think i ever come close to having orgasem watching a football game before but that was pretty close.
:D

But back on topic i dunno how you all find it hard to believe we wouldnt get 60 mil for him if liverpool sent out a memo saying steven gerrard 60 mil for sale to all the clubs or world you telling me real , barca , millan , inter wouldnt find the cash for me i find that more hard to believe.

But i do understand it will prob never happen but back to my fear that we may never have a team good enuff to surport gerrard.
This season is so key for me its do or die.  :blush:
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion