What is the matter with us away from home?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:59 am

And I thought you were ignoring me. If only! :D

how points behind man utd are we? how many trophies are we in the running for this season?

Quite a lot of points behind, but I do not do the evaluation of LFC depending on how are doing the archenemies, but the titles we achieve. And we've won two major titles the last two season, we are back to the champions league, competition in which we are regular, where as years back we weren't playing it, and we're in the semifinal of this competition this year.

i appreciate you may have become a liverpool supporter when we suddenly turned spanish, but those of us who are not bit part supporters know that this is not good enough.

No you don't appreciate, you try to say I'm a part supporter. The truth is that I always liked LFC and I'm a fan since 1988, that's why I remember with pain when I took the newspaper in the uni days and looked LFC in the standings table. And it was so disheartening to look for LFC in the first places and finding them in the 5th, 6th place.

I remember it was so insulting when I joined this forum to read in the english press "the top 3" leaving LFC aside. Now we're dissapointed because we're not winning everything. Which is better.

did we lose yesterday? no

should we be beating teams like man city comfortably? yes we should

I think you've missed lots of years of live football. We're not in the eighties any more. Winning away is not easy in any away game nowadays. Buy some tickets to Liverpool, watch some live football, hear how Anfield sings Rafa's name 10 minutes in a row, and prefferably, learn something about football in the process.

excuses about transfer funds dont hold any sway either unless you are suggesting we have transfer funds at home games but not at away games, its ot logical what you are saying.

What I was saying is that we're in a form of 4 wins, and a draw, and that wouldn't justify this negativeness. If all that huts, is that Manchester is fighting for title and is alive in more competitions, all right, but what I look is my team, not others.

the fact is the team selections and formations away from home, as well as the tactics have not been good enough and thats is the decision of rafa.

What do you now about tactics after 1977 anyway? What's wrong with Rafa's tactics? could you explain it in the formations thread?

I have said this since the first game of the season that rafa has learnt nothing from the previous two seasons, we have all heard the argument "well it works in spain", but so does the spanish language and bull fighting, but it isnt going to work in the premier league and if rafa cant see that after nearly 3 years in charge then i am worried.

Anfield supporters sing Rafa's name every game though, so I can live with you being worried.

ok give him 40 million to spend in the summer, but if he persists with negative tactics away from home next season it doenst really matter if he has 100 million to spend, you dont buy a ferarri to tow a caravan.

Negative tactics? Ferraris? Caravans? Speak about football ! I cannot discuss of tactics talking about Ferraris and Bull Fighting.

the simple fact is that our away form this season has been a major let down, is it the players fault? no it isnt as they show they can do the job with the right tactics, is it tha managers fault? damn right it is

Our start of the season was dissapointing. I admit that.  We lost games away, and what's worse, we dropped points at home. We lost the title challenge there. But We're in the semifinals of the CL again, which is a major achievement for any club of Europe, including the ones that have won 9 times that competition. Of course I'd like Manchester being out of that competition, but that won't make our achievements smaller, and won't make me forget the night in which we were the FIRST ENGLISH TEAM, that WON IN BARCELONA AWAY, *EVER*.

Come on Reds!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:00 pm

peewee wrote:i do get your point rafa, some players have under performed at various times this season, but thats not assisted in my opinion by a defensive formation.

ok we have the second best defence in the league but we are still light years behind the leaders, that should tell you something, it tells me that are defensive.

in fact we are cheeky when we criticise teams for playing defensive against us when we are doing the same and spoiling the game

Like I said I think if we would of been in Chelsea's position you would of seen a different Liverpool yesterday. On the subject of the 4 -5 - 1 I am a fan of it. I think it the best formation for the right balance in the side between defence and attack. And to be honest I don't think our away form has been that bad since the start of the season after the bad run of away defeats are away results read -  6 wins, 2 draws(the last 2) and 2 losses. Not the best but it shows the team is settling. I would not take any notice of any performances for the rest of the season. The CL spot is sewn up so no-one will be pushing themselves too far with a possible CL Final on the horizion.

Its not the way it should be, but it is.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:06 pm

sabre, not today, today is not a day to score points of each other.

just read what you have written, its all very well writing lots but what you have written doesnt make any sense.

so what the supporters sing rafa for 10 minutes, of course they do, they support the club, in fact thast a very stupid comment. but this doesnt mean that he is getting everything right.

with regards to cup competitions, so what? semi finals of FA cup this year includes watford and blackburn  ???

feraris and caravans, work it out, anyone with half an ounce of sense will see what it means, but the everyone else is not trying to score points here.

in fact sabre, i will stop my answer right now, like i say today is not the day but obvioulsy you cant recognise that.

i suggest you get on a plane and go to liverpool, then talk to me about my club, until then just carry on being a happy clapper with no real clue about anything. you support them since 1988, but have never watched them at anfield or anywhere else in europe.

stick to spanish football, you might have a clue about that
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:15 pm

Sabre wrote:What do you now about tactics after 1977 anyway?

er yeah after 1977 i know nothing about football, in act early in 1978 i went to live with a tribe of aborigional pygmies with no knowledge of football.

er no in fact after going to my first game in 1973 as a six year old i followed liverpool in virtually every game at home and when old enough away in europe too, in fact how many others on here can say the went to lahti in our first away game in europe after the ban, well i went.

the fact is i moved to asia in 2002 and get so see  more televised football than i ever have, but hey even if i never went to a live game again you would never catch up to me so dont try and patronise me.

you live maybe 2 hour flight away and dont even make an effort to go and watch liverppol, and yet you try and patronise someone with LFC running through their veins.

practice what your sig says, viva scousers, i am a scouser, always have been and always will be, you can only dream of such a thing
112-1077774096

Postby Crouchamania » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:38 pm

Terrific opening post Ciggy and I agree fully. We havent shown the ambition we had last season and players such as Gerrard and Alonso havent performed this season the way they did last.
Its almost like 2004/05 again where we just concentrated on Europe and forgot about the league.
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby Sabre » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:40 pm

practice what your sig says, viva scousers, i am a scouser, always have been and always will be, you can only dream of such a thing

Viva Scousers!! Viva Liverpool!!

Look Peewee that was a little football based bantering, don't take it personally.

If you want to banter about that, OK. I cannot discuss about you being a Scouser, because you're obviously one and I'm not. There's not debate there.

But again, let's talk about football whenever you wish :)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:41 pm

Crouchamania wrote:Terrific opening post Ciggy and I agree fully. We havent shown the ambition we had last season and players such as Gerrard and Alonso havent performed this season the way they did last.
Its almost like 2004/05 again where we just concentrated on Europe and forgot about the league.

i know players shouldnt think this way, but look at crouch, scoring goals for fun then left sat on the bench for 75 minutes yesterday watching us toil away with little imagination or success, how can he be ambitous when he knows his desire may just go unrecognised?

i know rafa doesnt like to give praise, but i dont see any problem giving praise when its due
112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:43 pm

Sabre wrote:

Viva Scousers!! Viva Liverpool!!

Look Peewee that was a little football based bantering, don't take it personally.

If you want to banter about that, OK. I cannot discuss about you being a Scouser, because you're obviously one and I'm not. There's not debate there.

But again, let's talk about football whenever you wish :)

ah now its football based bantering is it?

just let it go sabre, i can see through you and today is not the day.

let it rest there
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:42 pm

Well Peewee mate its good to see you posting about football again, and keeping the rosey tinted brigade in touch with reality.

Honestly like Rafa Dodd has said its probably a number of things that have hindered us back over the season. We're still knowhere near where we've got to be, we are still way to inconsistent especially away from home. Infact only away from home, we're inconsistent.

The 4-1 win against Arsenal and the 3-0 win only papers over the cracks, everyones over joyed (me included) and say how Brilliant we are. Fact is, Arsenal didnt turn up, neither PSV so the hype of those victories should still be realistic. The best result was the third one away at Reading that was a much tougher game than the other two, and it was good to see us grind out a hard fought win.

We're really going to have to sit this one out and wait again until next season, like you Peewee I do have slight concerns that Rafa hasnt got the knack of the Prem yet. I wouldnt say its a lack of respect from his point, maybe naivety perhaps but like you said after three years you would of thought he would of grasped seemingly more.

In saying that though, I believe if he gets that down pat (everything that he hasnt so far i.e, rotations, formations, personel) and its a fu.cking lot, but if he does finally sort it, I reckon he'll bring us back the leaague title.  :)
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:56 pm

hi BM.

sometimes i get a little confused about rafas logic, this belief that its important to have fresh players at the end of the season is all well and good if you still have something to play for at the end of the season, luckily we do have one trophy to go for.

but i dont see the logic if we have nothing to play for, we were out the title race well before xmas, we just gave up the two domestic trophies and we have one to go for.

but as shankley said, "i'm glad with europe, its been good for us, but this is the one we want every year, this is our bread and butter" pointing to the league trophy.

maybe i am a dinosaur but i dont see the point in us entering something if we dont want to win it, every game should be 'must win', there should be no lesser games.

i do think we have disrespected some of the so called lesser teams by fielding weaker teams against them and we got found out too many times the last few seasons.

is the league not important to rafa because its not 'his' league? would the spanish league be more important to him if he managed in spain?  just a thought
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:07 pm

The fact is we lack a player to unlock defenses consisting of 10 hackers.

Simple as that.

BTW:

Peewee and Sabre - here's a thought: Try blocking one another's posts, eh?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:19 pm

Yep mate, we must be dinosaurs :D  I like you believe every game has to be a MUST win game, thats the Liverpool way.

Okay with modern football, things have to be considered and I dont mind the fact, say if Rafa gave the youngens a run out in the league cup. But surely he has got to play his best eleven in a settled selection of formations and tactics in most prem games.

He doesnt, he does like to chop and change things a bit, and I'll hold my hands up and say he gets the praise when it works. But away from home it hasnt worked 11 times this season, and really with all the changes he makes its hard to put a finger on whats wrong. He should start with a settled side next season, he should change that for starters, find a simple formula and stick with it.

It certainly seems that he's much more comfortable in the CL than the prem, but its time for him to put that right and make us the best team over 38 games instead of a good cup team.
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:21 pm

The fact is we lack a player to unlock defenses consisting of 10 hackers.

Simple as that.

Lando, we lack some things and that might be one of them. You're more than probably right.

Every top team has troubles somewhere, Barcelona defensive consistency, Real Madrid lacks millions of things, Chelsea who seemed that were ruling the league failed this year, every team has problems.

We have some recurrent problems like poor starts (playing the preCL round doesn't help season planning) and some strenghts. But I DO believe mate that when I watch LFC this year I see a stronger team that 2 years ago, and we're improving.

Just as Manure didn't challenge for the title last season and can win it this year, we can perfectly challenge for the title if we keep improving.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Sabre wrote:Did we lose yesterday?

It seems we didn't win 4-1 against Arsenal (with a defensive 4-5-1), 0-3 against PSV (Defensive again), 1-0 against Reading and 1-0 again against PSV. A draw away after an european game and people saying Rafa is defensive and everything is wrong?

Call me of the happy clappy brigade,  but I don't see major troubles. Rafa HAS NOT enjoyed this season of the signing funds he'll have now, and we're asking him to compete against team that has enjoyed bigger sums.

Why we do this? BEcause we won a CL cup, a FA cup, and we inmediatly think that these things are easy. Back to the semifinals of the competition of the very best, we draw away, and the negative posts appear.

I know all this post appear because people want our team wins but, hey, we're not doing so badly.

Sorry mate.... but I strongly disagree.........

We didn't show enough respect to them by fielding a weakened side when we didn't have to...... and to top it off, we had the arrogance to think that a 4-5-1, with the weakened side, against the likes of man city was enough to beat them.......

We are out of every competition cept one now..... I hope Rafa brings back the Champions league but in truth I'd take the league title ANY day of the week....

To answer Ciggy's question...... the reason? Our tactics in away games aren't anything to write home about.....
:no
ConnO'var

Postby monkey 20 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:54 pm

peewee wrote:is the league not important to rafa because its not 'his' league? would the spanish league be more important to him if he managed in spain?  just a thought

know it was just a thought...but in all honesty rafa not wanting the league as much cos its not 'his' league...i think thats a bit naive. as he says, thats what he wants to bring home to anfield - number 19! i mean we ALL want that! i think that if we are going to win the title tho, we are going to need to start being more ruthless away from home, and maybe it'll be brought about being able to field a world class attacking player who can open up defenses out of nowhere! we all have hope of that with this 'money'...however much it turns out to be. i do believe we would have seen a different lfc against city if we were still in the race...but that is not an excuse for how we played! and i totally agree that we need to start approaching every single game as a MUST WIN game! that is the only way 19 is coming...and i believe it will come, sooner rather than later

:buttrock
monkey 20

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion