What is the matter with us away from home?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:25 pm

neil wrote:
alxy wrote:Let's get things in perspective: where we were and where we want to be.

Coming from where we were a few years back, yes, we're not doing so badly. ..................... He worked out the home problem.... now he has to work out the away one.

Good post. I cant ever recall a team going from 4th or 5th position in the league every year to annual champions without give or say £250 million. Rafa is going the right way about things, it takes along time to build a league winning team, when a manager takes control he has to turn around ship not a pushbike..er ...i think...anyway it takes ages to set a new course with his own players.

Look what Man Utd done under Ferguson.

Look at Blackburn under Dalglish.

Look at Arsenal with Wenger... thats only for the recent examples.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
neil wrote:
alxy wrote:Let's get things in perspective: where we were and where we want to be.

Coming from where we were a few years back, yes, we're not doing so badly. ..................... He worked out the home problem.... now he has to work out the away one.

Good post. I cant ever recall a team going from 4th or 5th position in the league every year to annual champions without give or say £250 million. Rafa is going the right way about things, it takes along time to build a league winning team, when a manager takes control he has to turn around ship not a pushbike..er ...i think...anyway it takes ages to set a new course with his own players.

didn't it take ferguson 7 years to win a trophy?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:03 pm

metalhead wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:
neil wrote:

didn't it take ferguson 7 years to win a trophy?

They went from 18th to 1st... or second or something.

The fact is it can be done with the right signings and players.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:15 pm

I think the main problem we have this season is it seems we have taken a big step back from last season. Last season after Christmas we were THE team. Great unbeaten runs, beat both our main rivals (admittedly in the cup) and we looked good to go. Our balance was good, we could defend AND score goals both home and away, and we seemed well set to at least challenge for the epl title this season.

We came third to the mancs who looked on the slide, while we looked on the up. We spent more than them and yet now look. 20 points behind, and they are challenging for a treble. Someone said that Chelsea for all their spending are having a hard time of it. Who are they kidding? Challenging for 3 trophys having already won one..... and thats a hard time!!!!

This season started with total disaster, out of the title race before it had even started properly, our balance has been terrible, every time we went at teams we conceded, and if we tried to defend we couldnt score. Out of two cups without even a fight, the league challenge never even got going. Someone said the reason we expected to challenge this season was because of our recent cup wins... boll0cks.... the reason we expect to be challenging for the epl is because WE ARE LIVERPOOL.
account deleted by request

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:28 pm

s@int wrote:I think the main problem we have this season is it seems we have taken a big step back from last season. Last season after Christmas we were THE team. Great unbeaten runs, beat both our main rivals (admittedly in the cup) and we looked good to go. Our balance was good, we could defend AND score goals both home and away, and we seemed well set to at least challenge for the epl title this season.

We came third to the mancs who looked on the slide, while we looked on the up. We spent more than them and yet now look. 20 points behind, and they are challenging for a treble. Someone said that Chelsea for all their spending are having a hard time of it. Who are they kidding? Challenging for 3 trophys having already won one..... and thats a hard time!!!!

This season started with total disaster, out of the title race before it had even started properly, our balance has been terrible, every time we went at teams we conceded, and if we tried to defend we couldnt score. Out of two cups without even a fight, the league challenge never even got going. Someone said the reason we expected to challenge this season was because of our recent cup wins... boll0cks.... the reason we expect to be challenging for the epl is because WE ARE LIVERPOOL.

Good post, agree with most apart from you saying United where on the slide last season. I said last year you gave them a better central midfield and they'd be the best side in the country and thats exactly where Ferguson went out and strengthened, what happens? They're top of the league with 4 games left.

Us on the other hand, spent more and have clearly gone backwards. A long way backwards aswell. We don't look balanced, we lack idea's, we refuse to play our best striker, we've lost our left winger to injury (which was a massive blow but not the be all and end all) and the players that have come in haven't improved our first 11.

Kuyt was a very average signing boardering on poor due to the amount of money wasted, Bellamy was ok but not first team material, Gonzalez a complete joke, Aurelio clearly talented but more injury prone than Harry Kewell and Pennant's shown in fits and starts occassionally what he's capable of.

Next season I expect a massive improvement and a serious challenge otherwise serious questions must be asked.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby neil » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:48 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
neil wrote:

Dalglish spent the then equivalent of Chelseas millions and you know it.
Alex fergursen was 1 game away from the sack.
You are a bluenose wum
Wenger is as good a modern manager anywhere in the world.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:53 pm

neil wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:
neil wrote:

You are a bluenose wum

Ferguson took a team frmo 18th to the top of the league.

Dalglish spent alot of money but most importantly spent it in the right places.

Does that mean Wenger is better than Benitez?

And you're the one who used to come on here with blue writing. Not me.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:57 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:Next season I expect a massive improvement and a serious challenge otherwise serious questions must be asked.

What sort of serious questions ?

Like who killed Tom King  ???  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:59 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:Next season I expect a massive improvement and a serious challenge otherwise serious questions must be asked.

What sort of serious questions ?

Like who killed Tom King  ???  :D

:D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:07 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
neil wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:
neil wrote:

You are a bluenose wum

Ferguson took a team frmo 18th to the top of the league.

Dalglish spent alot of money but most importantly spent it in the right places.

Does that mean Wenger is better than Benitez?

And you're the one who used to come on here with blue writing. Not me.

That must have been in Scotland because it certainly wasn't in England, Stu.  :D

Ferguson turned things around but even from his nadir of early spring 1990 when UTD were close to the relegation places, it was still 1993 before they won the league, i.e. more than three calendar years.

There was a massive improvement from 1990 to 1991, but not 18th to 1st.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:11 pm

Not literally 18th to 1st :laugh:

Was exagerating the point to get mine across... you get the jist. :D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby alxy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:31 am

Let's not compare Rafa with others, especially Man.ure scum. Most important is if he's headed in the right direction, which I feel he is. He is clearly still on his team building mode, which I believe is near completion. Once he has a team that he is truly happy with, then I believe we will really make a push for the title.

To top it all off, he rejected a huge offer from his hometown club (Real Madrid no less) to be with us. That really shows how eager and hungry he is to win the title for us. So until he starts going downhill like GH did near the end, I say give him a chance.

Besides, 1 CL and 1 FA Cup so far is not that bad.....
alxy

Postby alxy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:35 am

Oh, and it must also be said that Man.ure and Chelski are playing out of their skin this season. Both could end up with well over 90 points and meet each other in the FA Cup final and possibly CL final as well, which is remarkable.

Such tempo cannot be sustained. Look at Arsenal, untouchable and unbeatable when they won their last title, and look at them now. Even Chelsea stumbled initially earlier this season. So I hope Rafa brings in just 2-3 players next season to minimize disruption to the team. And we can for once hit the ground running.
alxy

Postby neil » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:11 am

Stu.Murph wrote:Not literally 18th to 1st :laugh:

Was exagerating the point to get mine across... you get the jist. :D

to wit - chatter :censored:
Last edited by neil on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion