VAR Discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:54 pm

My main question with VAR is that, who triggers the review? Is it the 4th official?

The technology is so accurate that some of the decisions for off side are getting ridiculous. We are talking about milimeters. I'm not talking about our match. There was ome match, i cant remember where a goal was ruled offside by milimeters which in a traditional refereeing would never have been caught.

When decisions are made on such accuracy, it becomes open to abuse.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:04 am

At the end of the day, if you're offside you're offside even if it's a toe. The problem I have is in the PL we seem to have different rules for VAR. In the PL VAR is only used to view a decision by the ref, ie goal, penalty. If the ref waves away a penalty claim it doesnt get reviewed, look at the handball in the Arsenal/Villa game. In the PL the ref doesnt review a penalty claim/decision on a pitch side monitor as they do everywhere else. Also cant say have seen VAR overturn a refs penalty decision and some on the VAR aren't qualified referees.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:42 am

If we had VAR last year and it was implemented well we would have been Champions, City had more luck on dodgy decisions than we did. If we had it for the last 20 years then ManUre would probably have 5 titles less.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:31 pm

Its still swings and roundabouts if you ask me. We benefitted against Chelsea with the offside but lost out against Napoli with that pen decision and also against Newcastle when Matip should have been awarded one.

I really don't agree with VAR interfering in every decision as it should be down to the referee but each manager should be given an option to request the referee to consult it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Think it's horrible personally, not only does it ruin the atmosphere but it doesn't even get the decisions right, it's seems like a lottery sometimes. The Napoli penalty decisions and no penalty for Matip against Newcastle (as mentioned by the poster above me) are prime examples.

The offside call against Spurs the other day was a joke, the player was no more than mere millimeters offside. Thought that forward players get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to offsides? Also thought that the offside call against Chelsea was stupid as well, despite the fact that we benefited from it. They didn't call an offside when we scored against Southampton in a very similar situation.

We've mostly benefited from VAR thus far, but we've just been lucky in the lottery, it's going to bite us as well, someday.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:52 am

Not sure giving managers VAR calls would be useful, a manager is on the half way line on one side of the pitch - he's no idea if it was offside or a penalty from his position.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion