Value. - What do we expect for our money?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:15 pm

I know its a while back but within two or three games of Cisse's debut, I was first up with an opinion on Cisse (never one to hang about and all that). I said we had grossly overpaid for him at 14 million. I said he had obvious potential and may become a player, but that in the current transfer market his price tag was ridiculous. To me he was a typical Foolier signing, ill thought-out and bad value.
Now it seems we have got Morientes for 6 million. Admittedly he's older but will he be better value? Now I know all the usual suspects will be on here saying 'give him time, remember Reyes' etc etc etc but what do we expect to see for our cash?
Heres what I hope for and expect. I think he will initially find it tough to adapt to the pace and tempo of the game over here (particularly if he plays on Saturday) but I expect that even in his FIRST GAME, you will see a flash of something. A clever piece of movement, maybe a little look around then a drift backwards into a couple of yards of space. A nice piece of control, killing the ball instantly into his path and so the bloke behind doesn't get a foot in. I expect if we get a cross in you'll see him pick the flight of the ball early and co-ordinate his feet so that when the time comes to get up, he does so with the help of a couple of steps followed by a jump forwards towards the flight of the ball.
Please don't do a knee jerk slag on the post. Read first, I'm not expecting a hat-trick, just a passing indication of talent.
I got absolutely slaughtered for my comments on Cisse. I'm right though, and I trust Rafa much more with our transfer funds than i ever did Foolier. Hopefully this guy will show the difference, remember 14 million versus 6 million. Let's see what we've got.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:22 pm

if he plays on saturady i don't think we can make any judgements based on his performance or value. he's going to have no time to train or to get to know the players. judging on the way they both play i see great potential for his and baros' partnership and also to flourish on the kind of crosses that nunez is beginning to show he can put in, but this is going to take time to evolve.

i think we're making an excellent signing but we have to temper our expectations for a while. there's been so much hype and sepculation over this painfully drawn out transfer and many have built up massive hopes that he'll transform the team immediately.

fingers crossed for an electric debut but lets give the guy time to settle.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:25 pm

Totally agree Andy. He is not going to score a hat-trick on Saturday, the game will like as not pass him by. My point is merely that I expect you will see something, just a flash of ability to wet the appetite. Very much like Luis Garcia, he's taking time to get it but he has already shown he can be a marvelous player for us and I for one will give him all the time he needs.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fingers » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:28 pm

if Nunez can delivery more of the quality ball in, then i wouldn't be suprised if Mori bags, but thats IF he signs, IF he plays, IF we have him registered in time.  too many ifs for my liking :down:
As always I am focused on supporting the Cloob and the Manager
Fingers

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:30 pm

I wouldn't play him on Saturday. He needs time to train and to get to know the players. Give him a week with the guys before he is asked to play.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:33 pm

Cisse didn't do much to impress me but I was prepared for the first half of his season to be disappointing and the second half to be just average. The second season would be when I'd be looking for a return.

I don't expect much from Morientes this season and think it'll be next season before we know how he adapts.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:35 pm

i think he will feature on saturday as a second half sub. and i also expect him to adapt quickly. he's an intelligent and experienced player and, as alonso has proved, some players  don't need a long adaptation period.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:37 pm

I agree, assuming we sign him in time he'll definitely get a run-out on Saturday. Home debut against ManU - what a stage to introduce yourself!
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fingers » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:38 pm

fair point, but Mori is built for the premiership, fair enough i am realistivc to know that he won't set the world on fire in his first game, (or first season) but i'd expect a slight better return from him than Cisse,

does anyone know what his domestic record was like for Monaco.
As always I am focused on supporting the Cloob and the Manager
Fingers

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:26 pm

I jus hope he doesn't play 20mins and get crippled by a scum player - would be just our luck.

I think we'll get a bigger return than we got from cisse in his first 4 games. Cisse never did it for me.

14 million for Cisse & 8 million for Owen - something went seriousley wrong.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:30 pm

Lee J wrote:I jus hope he doesn't play 20mins and get crippled by a scum player - would be just our luck.

don't say that lee j :(

on that note, maybe frank lampard can take out rio ferdinand or paul scholes tonight and put them out for three months. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:37 pm

Mori will be a class act and as for Cisse he may hasve cost 14m but he was high profile because Madrid,Valencia,AC Milan and numerous other top clubs wanted him and it's not for his clothing line i will stick my neck out and say your wrong.

How can people honestly judge players in a season when lesser players have been given praise for nothing.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:40 pm

people forget that cisse was not a benitez signing. i don't think benitez would even consider spending 14m on a striker.

morientes for 6m is practically a steal when you consider that he is 28 (should be at his peak) and that the blue sh#te paid that for james beattie. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:49 pm

I hear what your saying people, and I agree with most of it.

The point I wish to raise however is about the Cisse price tag.

The fact of the matter is, that Cisse was a player we started to monitor three seasons back. Then two seasons back we tried to buy the lad for £10m, but were told no by Guy Roux and Auxerrre. It was agreed later that season we could have him, for £14m, but he would not sign until the end of season 2003-2004.

In the time between the agreement of the deal and actually signing the lad, the market for football players has nose dived. Hence the reason it looks like a fortune. Two seasons ago, it would have been about right. In the current climate, it looks over priced. I would think that they thought it was too good a player to allow to join anyone else.....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:49 pm

Morientes or Beattie....   :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion