The Run In:  What do we expect

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:20 am

I have hopes of a top 4 finish but my expectations are more hazy. It's so hard to predict how we will fair over a long period of time, such is the unstable nature of our form this season. Historically we have finished strongly and our remaining tough fixtures on paper give hope of a strong finish. Out of the teams above us (excluding Man Utd and City) Arsenal have a great opportunity to finish strongly but are as volatile as us in terms of performances. Tottenham and Chelsea can only throw away a CL finish, assuming they can win their home games they would be certs to remain in the top 4. Everton would have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to mount a challenge, almost all their tough games are away.

The best we can hope for is consistent wins against teams below us and lots of draws between the teams above us.

Fingers crossed!

Chelsea(Currently 3rd - 49pts)
Man City (A)
Tottenham (H)
Liverpool (A)
Man Utd (A)
Everton (H)

Tottenham(Currently 4th - 48pts)
Arsenal (H)
Liverpool (A)
Everton (H)
Chelsea (A)
Man City (H)

Arsenal(Currently 5th - 44pts)
Tottenham (A)
Everton (H)
Man Utd (H)

Everton(Currently 6th - 42pts)
Arsenal (A)
Man City (H)
Tottenham (A)
Liverpool (A)
Chelsea (A)

Liverpool(Currently 7th - 39pts
Tottenham (H)
Chelsea (H)
Everton (H)
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Entourage » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 pm

I don't want to see Wisdom replace Glen Johnson. Sorry that was to the person who posted above.

I think we'll win 8, lose 1 and draw 2. I feel sick writing this but I can see the loss being at home to Chelsea, it's just Football that Rafa will return and Torres will finally score against us.

I think we will finish 6th as well. Just having a look on Twitter and someone said if Arsenal finish 4th and qualify for the Champions League then we will take the Europa League spot through Fair Play?

6th will be acceptable, it's all about next season already and keeping Luis Suarez, that's going to be tough. Will take a lot of money to take him away from Anfield after his recent contract extension.
Entourage
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:04 pm

LFC1990 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:40 am wrote:With Suarez and Sturridge i would go into every game believing we can win it simple as. If the players play like they did last night we will climb the table.

So to answer your question TGY

I can see 9 wins 2 draws.

I think we will finish 6th however im not ruling out top 4 especially with Spurs' Run in

Acceptable - A place in Europe

To echo Thommo I think Suarez will stay

this is how i see it too, except for your last line because unfortunately i think luis will leave.
i hope to f##k i`m wrong because the effect of him leaving on the club would be devastating but i`ve just got a funny feeling that he`ll end up at bayern munich.
with guardiola going there, the fact they have appeared in 2 of the last 3 CL finals (and with the way they playing at the moment and the way this years tournament is panning out i wouldnt put it past them to make that 3 of the last 4 finals) and the fact that guardiola`s brother is luis`s agent i think they`d be a big draw for luis.
by all accounts bayern have promised guardiola a big war chest as well.
last summer we know for a fact that PSG and juventus tried to sign him, i think this summer there will be even more clubs in for him.
lets face it he is neck and neck with van persie at the top of the scoring charts and luis doesnt even take pens. the prem is the toughest league in europe to score goals in, it isnt a turkey shoot like holland or spain and if luis can score goals here he can score them anywhere. that`s how the big clubs across europe will look at it.
unfortunately this great season luis is having is a double edged sword for us, he looked good in a weak-ish dutch league but this season by running riot in a blue chip competition like the prem he has proven himself as one of the best players in the world.
whenever you get a situation where one of the best players in the world isnt playing in the CL then you are going to get the vultures circling.
i had hoped we may hold him to his contract but apparently i was reading over on rawk that he went on strike to force his move to ajax through, i think he`s gone unfortunately  :(
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby KingKennyDalglish :) » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm

I would not expect much from the end of the season . One loss and the there will be nothing to play for . Rodgers(*****) does not have the managerial experience to keep the players going considering there playing for relatively nothing . The sooner we move on from this season the better!! :)
KingKennyDalglish :)
LFC Basic Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Think we will finish 6th. 5th if one of Arsenal, Spur's, maybe even Chelsea really go into free fall. 6th inhis first season for me is acceptable. Gives us a nice platform to build upon for next season
Doeboy

Postby kazza » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:36 pm

Frankly we have to win every match which will give us 72 points. Even then it might not happen but that puts pressure on the other teams.  Spurs then needs about six wins and a couple of draws in their last ten matches to beat 72 points, assuming they lose to Arsenal today. Unlikely we make 4th but possible. Winning the last tem matches will help the fans though, I just hope it is enough.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion