Treatment Room - squad injuries

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:11 am

Aurelio dropped from the Brazil squad as his calf injury flared up again. Could be out for "a prolonged spell"....

:help
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:33 am

Y Benayoun Hamstring Injury  - 2nd Dec 09   
F Aurelio Calf/Shin Injury - 18th Nov 09   
A Riera Hamstring Injury - no return date   
G Johnson Calf Muscle Strain - no return date   
S Gerrard Groin Strain - no return date
F Torres - no return date
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:44 am

I can assure you that I'm able to see the bottle half full more often than not. But this injury nightmare has my morale down in my heels.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:01 am

It's the football gods at work. Ever since people started bragging on here that we had the best medical team around, that Roma's medical team were all sh!t and that's why they got loads of injuries and we didn't get any, it's all gone pear shaped. Aquilani still hasn't played a match months after he signed and all the other feckers are dropping like ninepins :( .
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:05 am

...and to cap it all.....my bleedin' nobbies are at me again ! Feck it, I'll have to get the knitting needle and a box of matches out again at the weekend   :O

:D
bunglemark2

Postby Rockthekop » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:13 am

Despite the injury list it doesn't entirely excuse the worst run I can remember as a Liverpool fan.

You can't argue that the teams we have put out over the last 10 games were good enough to win, injuries or not. 

It's difficult to pinpoint the reasons for the current slump but for me injuries, although a factor, are not the root cause.
Rockthekop

Postby Sabre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:32 am

Rockthekop wrote:Despite the injury list it doesn't entirely excuse the worst run I can remember as a Liverpool fan.

You can't argue that the teams we have put out over the last 10 games were good enough to win, injuries or not. 

What you can't argue neither is that if you lose Xabi Alonso, Aquilani is not fit, and you lose Gerrard and Torres, your quality drops significantly.

The only reason for optimism I have is that when we recover all the key players and they play together we'll be much better.

That said, a team that wants to win everything has to answer those situations with a deep squad. And our squad hasn't shown they're up to it.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rockthekop » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:52 am

Of course the level of quality would drop without Torres and Gerrard, I'm not disputing that, but the teams that were put out there were still good enough to win those games.

Ironically enough it's always our best players that seem to get injured, never the players that have been consistently average to poor.
Rockthekop

Postby Redman in wales » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:34 pm

its not the injuries thats the problem. Our first 4 defeats of the season: Spurs, Villa, Fiorentina and Chelsea all had Torres and Gerrard in their starting line up.

Infact for half of our defeats this season we've only had 2 or 3 injured players, its only now that we've got enough injuries for it to become an excuse!

Every team has injuries at some point, yes we've been  more unlucky than most at the moment, but other teams have had it nearly as bad:

utd were without VDS for all but the last couple of games, ferdinands out for a while, vidic has had patches of injuries this year already, berbatov, hargreaves and park have all been out the last couple of weeks.

Chelsea have A cole, zirkov, boswinga and now lampard out.

I honestly dont think any of the top 5/6 sides has been able to field a "full strength" 11 yet. We shouldn't have to say "if only we had a fully fit 11..." Its not enough nowadays - you have to have a strong squad, and our squad isn't good enough
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:37 pm

why the hell was aurelio in the brazil squad anyway when he was already injured?

this sort of thing really pi$$es me off. the same happened with gerrard. :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:33 pm

stmichael wrote:why the hell was aurelio in the brazil squad anyway when he was already injured?

this sort of thing really pi$$es me off. the same happened with gerrard. :angry:

And for the same reason, I was wondering why Johnson wasn't immediately excluded from the England squad.

I mean, I know a country can invoke a ruling to insist players HAVE to turn up for international duty, but surely common sense applies, particularly if a player is only back from long-term injury, or for example doesn't have a whole lot of game-time after an injury...
bunglemark2

Postby Owzat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Redman in wales wrote:its not the injuries thats the problem. Our first 4 defeats of the season: Spurs, Villa, Fiorentina and Chelsea all had Torres and Gerrard in their starting line up.

Infact for half of our defeats this season we've only had 2 or 3 injured players, its only now that we've got enough injuries for it to become an excuse!

Every team has injuries at some point, yes we've been  more unlucky than most at the moment, but other teams have had it nearly as bad:

utd were without VDS for all but the last couple of games, ferdinands out for a while, vidic has had patches of injuries this year already, berbatov, hargreaves and park have all been out the last couple of weeks.

Chelsea have A cole, zirkov, boswinga and now lampard out.

I honestly dont think any of the top 5/6 sides has been able to field a "full strength" 11 yet. We shouldn't have to say "if only we had a fully fit 11..." Its not enough nowadays - you have to have a strong squad, and our squad isn't good enough

Exactly. A lot of people cite the absence of Torres and Gerrard, but don't point out that it only applies when they were ACTUALLY MISSING not across the board for the season.

The biggest problem is our back-up isn't as good as chelski and the mancs', chelski missed Joe Cole for how long and likewise the mancs have been missing nobhead, Hargreaves and rio lately. They have more than one striker capable of scoring goals, therein lies part of our problem. If we're missing Torres we're fecked, the mancs lose Rooney and they have bubbletop and judas in reserve with kids like Macheda and Wellhard coming through instead of just being talked about like our kids. Chelski may not be as plush with strikers, but Anelka and dogbar are around Torres' level of ability and they've one or two other options.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Nemeth is injured now after scoring in the hungary u-21 game, ligament damage

Jeez what on earth is going on this season EVERYONE is injured it's pretty unfair, I'm sure they're injuring our players on purpose haha
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Sabre » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:14 pm

Exactly. A lot of people cite the absence of Torres and Gerrard, but don't point out that it only applies when they were ACTUALLY MISSING not across the board for the season.

If that make you happy I can ignore that Aquilani wasn't ready to substitute Alonso at the start of the season, and I can ignore the games in which Torres and/or Gerrard, not to mention Riera were not available.

Thus I can blame directly Rafa, and we're all happy.

Look, I don't NEED to find excuses. Mentioning or not mentioning this relevant factors for me doesn't make the defeats any sweeter. I don't try to convince nobody either.

But in a thread of injuries, it seems to me pretty expectable to moan about injuries.

If it makes you sleep better I won't mention them eh? :D
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:25 pm

feckin injuries...  :no
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion