Top 5 - Players this season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Seano Kop » Sat May 17, 2008 8:01 am

I'm bored. Transfer speculation is fun. But I want to know who you guys rated in what was a fairly average season.

I'd go for:

1. Fernando Torres: Need I explain? 33 goals in his first season in England. Single handedly brought us to the Semi Finals of the Champions League and nearly brought us home at the Bridge for the first time in a long time.

2. Steven Gerrard: Good season by the skipper. Played so many captains games and ended up with a tally of 21 goals which is outstanding from a CM.

3. Dirk Kuyt: Copped a lot of abuse early in the season for his poor strike rate in front of goal and lack of skill. He hit back well, scoring crucial goals in Champions League ties against Inter, Arsenal away and also Chelsea, as well as assisting in numerous goals from his newly found spot on the right wing.

4. Pepe Reina: Goalkeepers always sem to go unnoticed but I've noticed the great Pepe all season. With a defence like ours, his skills aren't shown as much as they would at a lesser club, but he proved at Spurs in the last Gameday why he won his 3rd successive Golden Boot. Absolute star - and some nice penalty saves as well.

5. Javier Mascherano: An absolute monsterin midfield. Stopped some of the best names again this season, including Ronaldo and Fabregas. Was part of the reason for many clean sheets and even scored a beauty himself against Reading.
Seano Kop

Postby heimdall » Sat May 17, 2008 11:11 am

Seano Kop wrote:I'm bored. Transfer speculation is fun. But I want to know who you guys rated in what was a fairly average season.

I'd go for:

1. Fernando Torres: Need I explain? 33 goals in his first season in England. Single handedly brought us to the Semi Finals of the Champions League and nearly brought us home at the Bridge for the first time in a long time.

2. Steven Gerrard: Good season by the skipper. Played so many captains games and ended up with a tally of 21 goals which is outstanding from a CM.

3. Dirk Kuyt: Copped a lot of abuse early in the season for his poor strike rate in front of goal and lack of skill. He hit back well, scoring crucial goals in Champions League ties against Inter, Arsenal away and also Chelsea, as well as assisting in numerous goals from his newly found spot on the right wing.

4. Pepe Reina: Goalkeepers always sem to go unnoticed but I've noticed the great Pepe all season. With a defence like ours, his skills aren't shown as much as they would at a lesser club, but he proved at Spurs in the last Gameday why he won his 3rd successive Golden Boot. Absolute star - and some nice penalty saves as well.

5. Javier Mascherano: An absolute monsterin midfield. Stopped some of the best names again this season, including Ronaldo and Fabregas. Was part of the reason for many clean sheets and even scored a beauty himself against Reading.

:wwww  :wwww  :wwww  Surely number 3 is a joke, please tell me it is!!!
heimdall

Postby Seano Kop » Sat May 17, 2008 12:04 pm

Nup, no joke. The guy, along with El Nino, is the reason we got as far as we did in the Champions League.... meaning he caused Riise's own goal.. meaning he caused Riise's exit.... hmm.

.... As well as this, he's played about 32904839 different positions, which just is not humanly possible, but he did it. And he's been playing very well out wide,a ssisting in many goals and scoring plenty for a wingman, more than most wingers - excluding a certain Portugese dude from Man Utd.
Seano Kop

Postby puroresu » Sat May 17, 2008 12:53 pm

No way has Kuyt been one of our best player this season.
puroresu

Postby Seano Kop » Sat May 17, 2008 12:56 pm

The only other players that deserve to be in there are Carra, and Skrtl. Skrtl came in in January, Kuyt's been more diminant than Carra.
Seano Kop

Postby Number 9 » Sat May 17, 2008 1:08 pm

Since we changed to the 4-2-3-1 system Kuyt has been one of our best players by a mile with only Torres,Gerrard and Mascherano being consistantly better!

I'd put him 4th with Reina 5th!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat May 17, 2008 1:10 pm

Wheres Igor Biscan?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat May 17, 2008 2:52 pm

I think he makes a good point...... Kuyt has been a much better full back than Finnan or Riise this season :D

1/ Torres - what a player and what a great start to his Liverpool career

2/ Gerrard - Scored lots of goals, made lots of goals.... what more can you ask for?

3/Mascherano - Fantastic player - I don't think Reina would be collecting the golden gloves again this season but for Masch.

4/Reina - But for a few dodgy moments in big games has had a great season

5/ Carra - Not his best season by any means, but he has coped with lots of different partners at the back and held the defence together.

Really only 3 outstanding players this season for me Torres, Gerrard and Masch, which might help to explain why we only finished 4th.
account deleted by request

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat May 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Seano Kop wrote:3. Dirk Kuyt: Copped a lot of abuse early in the season for his poor strike rate in front of goal and lack of skill. He hit back well, scoring crucial goals in Champions League ties against Inter, Arsenal away and also Chelsea, as well as assisting in numerous goals from his newly found spot on the right wing.

:laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spion » Sat May 17, 2008 6:59 pm

1, Ronaldo. Hate him but what a player.

2, Torres. Great first season but needs to follow it up with a good second term.

3, David James. Regained his England shirt & has been the most consistant keeper in the premier league.

4, Ballack. After a shakey start looked like the best of Chavski's million centre Midfielders.

5, Barry. Could be a red soon.
spion

Postby europian-kings » Sat May 17, 2008 7:35 pm

1. Torres for obvious reasons. When he arrived i thought he would be a good one, but what i thought would be good turned out to be amazing and unstoppable.

2. Gerrard. Captain amazing. Not involved getting forwards and backwards as he use to be as he plays in a different role these days, but when he gets the ball im always confident. Still the best overall player in the world in my opinion, he has got everything.

3. Mascherano. What a signing he has been. I hadn't seen him much at west ham, mainly because he was always sat on the bench but from day 1 at liverpool i knew he would be a fans favourite. My mates laughed at the 17million price tag but only liverpool fans who watch every liverpool game can see how much he does for the team. Ive ordered his name on my new liverpool shirt as i love the bloke.

4. Reina. Got his third golden glove this season and although much is down to the defence infront of him he has still got to be one of the best in the premiership and europe. His long volleyed kicks to get us set for a counter attack are better then anyone else's.

5. Babel. Bit of a surprise and im sure alot of people will question me on this but its my opinion and im keeping him here :). His first season in the premisership and just the glimses of what he can do has i think earnt him his spot in 5h place. 10 goals from playing out of position with 7 of them coming off the subs bench. Killed the game off against arsenal by winning the penelty and outpacing fabregas before slotting home. This is not the last youve seen of this boy.
europian-kings
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat May 17, 2008 10:37 pm

Fernando Torres – 24 leagues goals from open play in his first season is awesome.

Steven Gerrard – One of his best seasons. Played at a consistency high level throughout most of the season, something that has been lacking for most of his career. Maybe he has found a role that suits him?

Javier Mascherano – Awesome all season, great feisty attitude.

Pepe Reina – Was the best keeper in the Premiership and one of our top 3 players until the last 2 months of the season when his confidence seemed to go.

Sami Hyypia – Good season for a man everyone thought was finished. In so many games he was the best defender on the pitch.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Sat May 17, 2008 10:57 pm

Kuyt has saved our asses so many times, responses 1 and 3 are stupid.  (responses, not poster)

Although I don't think he deserves their stupid critisim, I also don't think he deserves the number 3 spot, but he's been one of our best.

1.) Torres:  Best striker in the world, most goals from open play this year.  And in FIFA online he just scored a hat trick agaisnt some Everton Fan

2.) Reina:  Was tied with Reina and Gerrard, but Reina got his golden glove award so I'll let him be number 2.  With so many changes and injuries to our defense, he can't be at rest back there, but still did an amazing job.

3.) Gerrard:  Awesome in every way.

4.) Masch:  What a player, very devoted to the club, just needs to be smarter in terms of when to talk to the ref.

5.)  Can't decide between Kuyt, Babel, Alonso, or Carra.  I think Carra would get it though. :D
SupitsJonF

Postby Dalglish » Tue May 20, 2008 10:59 pm

Kuyt's one of those players who become the easy target when things aren't going well. He's had a schizophrenic season really. The first half of thew season he was poor, lacked invention and certainly goals but after Christmas his form has been very consistent and his work rate has been superb.

Nobody can accuse Kuyr of lacking the effort just maybe the end product but to be fair to him his goals in the CL particularly have been crucial.

Despite this he doesn't make my TOP 5 :

1. Torres

2. Mascerano

3. Gerrard

4. Reina

5. Carra
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:17 pm

I don't think there is much doubt as to who are best 5 players are: Gerrard, Torres, Carra, Mascherano and Reina are the 5 players we have that will be guaranteed to start any big game when fit.  However, I believe that Carra has had a poor season by his own high standards, although it hasn't helped that he's had several CB partners and also played games a right back.  That said I still think that despite having a solid season, his performance levels have dipped slightly.

My top 5 for the season:

1.  Torres - great first season, enough said.

2.  Gerrard - Brilliant as usual, just pipped by Torres.

3.  Mascherano - Up for every game, only seen him have one really poor game (Utd away)

4. Reina - Golden gloves (again).  Good season

5.  Kuyt - Despite limited ability he kept his head down, adapted ok to right mid, worked his socks off, and scored vital CL goals against Inter, Arsenal and Chelsea.  I still don't think he's LFC quality, but he's a top lad who has played above what he's normally capable of at the business end of the season.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion