Top 5 - Players this season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 20, 2008 11:30 pm

Kuyt - Despite limited ability he kept his head down, adapted ok to right mid, worked his socks off, and scored vital CL goals against Inter, Arsenal and Chelsea.  I still don't think he's LFC quality, but he's a top lad who has played above what he's normally capable of at the business end of the season.

Probably as balanced a description of Kuyt as we are likely to see on here John. Just about sums up my thoughts too.
account deleted by request

Postby JoeTerp » Wed May 21, 2008 12:34 am

I think some of the Kuyt praise is rose tinted due to his CL goals. Yes he played much better in the league once we switched and we started winning which helped, and I understand in that role he is expected to get a bunch of goals but he still offered much less of a goal threat than Babel and theoretically they were playing the same position. And it wasn't like he was putting in great crosses all the time either.

If we are only going by league performance, I don't think Kuyt makes the top 5. I don't think its ridiculous if you want to put them in there, and if you are taking into account the CL, he probably should be 5

Torres
Gerrard
Masch
Carra
Reina

I think we also are skewing the season to the end, you cannot forget how dreadful Kuyts form was for much of the season, for me his play at the end forgave him for the early form, but it certainly wasn't good enough to overcome it
JoeTerp

Postby Kharhaz » Wed May 21, 2008 12:54 am

Dundalk wrote:Wheres Igor Biscan?

Hes at Dinamo Zagreb mate !  :p

Anyway, aside from the obvious (Torres, Gerrard and Mascherano) id go for:

4: Hyypia. Stood in when injuries hit and has been brilliant.

5: Kuyt. Even when he was on poor form and suffering heavy grief, it didnt stop him working his nuts off. Top professional.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion