Players you have been impressed with? - In pre-season.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dward » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:24 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:
mikopool wrote:Sissoko is going to be a fantastic player, I can hardly wait to see him take out fancy pants Ronaldo ( I know its out of position but I can dream )

i hope he breaks his leg

:D
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:36 pm

Sissoko has impressed me the most along with Zenden although one lad who has impressed me at the back and looks extremely comfortable at rb or cb is Medjani, i think this lad has a hell of a future and could make a top quality Right back in the future, of the rest Alonso and Gerrard have been top notch, to be honest no ones really had a bad pre season and things are going very well (Hyppia has give us the best years of his career and was once one of the best defenders in europe and are captain so there is no way i will ever slander him).
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Red_Rob » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:23 pm

Out of the new signings I have been pleased with Sissoko and i think he will grow into a fine player. That area of the team is really strong now which is pleasing. Peter Crouch has looked quite good and along with Cisse we saw some evidence of an actual partnership last night - something we have not seen for a while.

It is so hard to tell from these early games as some of the foreigners just don't get going yet. We can't really say anything about Reina yet as we will only really see his true worth once the EPL kicks off.
Red_Rob

Postby DrTNT » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:50 pm

Zenden has shown he's going to give us an extra dimension this year.
Reina has shown some of his great attributes namely his distribution.  :bowdown
DrTNT

Postby JC_81 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:35 pm

Garymac wrote:Sissoko has impressed me the most along with Zenden although one lad who has impressed me at the back and looks extremely comfortable at rb or cb is Medjani, i think this lad has a hell of a future and could make a top quality Right back in the future, of the rest Alonso and Gerrard have been top notch, to be honest no ones really had a bad pre season and things are going very well (Hyppia has give us the best years of his career and was once one of the best defenders in europe and are captain so there is no way i will ever slander him).

To me Medjani looks like a classic example of a CB playing at full back.  He doesn't seem to know when to tuck in and cover the CB or when to come forward.

He does look like a half-decent player in the centre though.  His distribution is good and he is strong in the challenge.  There may be a future for him at LFC but I wouldn't be that surprised if he gets loaned out for another year first.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:48 pm

its weird watching my own fingers typing this... but i'm actaully pretty excited about young crouchy. its not that he's done anything that amazing yet - a gangly run and a good knock down - but he seems to be iin the thick of it all the time around the box. the knock down he did for cisse's goal was just the thing we've been lacking last season - an unglamorous nuisance around the box. good stuff.

and so far i'm liking zenden. again not moving the earth but its good to see someone wanting to get into the corner and get a cross in. not afraid to have a shot either.

i'm obviously missing something but i'm not overwhelmed by sissoko just yet. sure, he runs around a lot getting stuck in, but i'm dreading to think of the number of free kicks he's going to give away in the premiership.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:50 pm

zenden looks like a decent footballer to me but he does like to cut inside a lot and have a go himself when maybe the early ball into the box may be the better option.
one thing that i do find slightly disturbing is his habit of slowing down whenever it looks like a 50 - 50 challenge is on the cards.
all the new buys need at least a couple of months to settle though.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby philchampionsl2005 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:04 am

players i been impressed has been reina looks strong and commanding and gd football brain. Whitbread looks like the nxt best thing from the academy, strong quick could be what we have been looking for. Alonso and Gerrard obvoiusly but in my eyes at the moment these two are the best centre mids in europe at the moment, Sissoko- looks as benitez described him full of energy and get's stuck in. Warnock is developing into the player he can be alays looks busy and is the new carra for me.
Baros looks like a man on a mission to prove himself to rafa and the fans that he should be a lfc player. And crouch- well what do u say 2 games, 2 assists exactly wat rafa bought him for. Would love to see Baros and crouch link up next like koller and baros at euro2004
come on u reds :D :D :D
philchampionsl2005

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:11 am

Alonso by a mile. Has he wasted a pass yet!?! Gerry's obviously class aswell. Of the new boys, Reina looks very promising. He seems to exude confidence and calmness. It will be nice to have a keeper who doesn't look like he's about to get shot everytime he plays! Perhaps he's a bit cocky, but I suppose thats the only position in the team where thats welcome! Most mistakes are born out of nerves.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:37 am

the knock down he did for cisse's goal was just the thing we've been lacking last season - an unglamorous nuisance around the box. good stuff.

That's why Crouch has been bought by Rafa, spot on.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:47 am

Impressed with Baros but he has unfortunatly not impressed Rafa, which would ultimately lead to being sold (not what I want). He has been very sharp and pacey, beating defenders, creating chances for himself or for other people. It could be the coming year when Baros would hit his peak (performing to the standard that he has maintained in the Czech national squad) since he's only 23 so I would certainly keep him for at least another year, or at least sell him in a much higher price (10+ million). In my opinion, he might even be better Morientes, who has probably passed his peak. So there certainly is no harm in keeping him for another year.

Another player that has impressed me was probably Zenden, particularly his pinpoint crosses which someone MUST get to the end of. The only thing I'm concerned with him is his evident lack of pace to establish himself as a proper winger because after all he was a central midfielder while with Boro. Crouch has been pretty good considering the expectations I have given him since his arrival. The likes of Alonso, Gerrard, and Carragher has always maintained their standards so it's nothing to be impressed on. The only worry about Alonso's pinpoint passes is the frequent inability for other players to effectively make it to good use, such as long haul passes to Garcia that normally ends up in losing possession.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:51 am

The only worry about Alonso's pinpoint passes is the frequent inability for other players to effectively make it to good use, such as long haul passes to Garcia that normally ends up in losing possession.

That's not exactly Alonso's fault if another player misjudges the pass or wastes the possession.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:53 am

A.B. wrote:
The only worry about Alonso's pinpoint passes is the frequent inability for other players to effectively make it to good use, such as long haul passes to Garcia that normally ends up in losing possession.

That's not exactly Alonso's fault if another player misjudges the pass or wastes the possession.

Never said it was. I was only concerned that Alonso's talent would be after all wasted in our team.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:00 am

Never said it was. I was only concerned that Alonso's talent would be after all wasted in our team.

Now you're looking too into it, I don't think his talent will be wasted. Sure there will be a time that somebody loses the ball but thats part of the game.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:45 am

A.B. wrote:
Zenden I don't rate at all and sofar haven't changed my mind

Zenden has more skill in his toe of his left foot than Riise has all together. To me thats an improvement on the left wing, I don't know why you don't rate him but he's been lively and has been able to beat his man almost every time he's had the ball. Riise has one trick and thats try to outrun his man in order to get around him, and that's not good enough.

agree....technically more skilled than risse and works harder than kewell....

yeah, we could have gotten some one better(duff, vicente..etc), but FOC signing, he is good.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion