The state of the union - So far, and what's left...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:58 am

I'm spending some time in the States at the moment and yesterday, George "Dubbya" Bush delivered the annual "State of The Union Address" which deals with all the stuff going on in the US. I thought, that I would take it upon myself to deliver a "State of the Club Address" for your consideration and rebutal. So try and think of this being delivered as a speech, but I won't dribble and confuse myself like Dubbya.

Ladies and Gentlemen, supporters of this most historic club, I bring forth to you the proposition that we are on the brink and cusp of change. Long gone are the days of domestic and european glory, year in, year out. We no longer revel and delight in the glow cast from silver and etched gold. We have not seen the Premier League Trophy ever reside in an annual fashion withen the walls of Anfield, our most hallowed home. This will not change withen 2005 and still 2006 will be a monumentous, gargantuan challenge. But one thing that our fair club has never looked for, is a quick fix. We have made steps...

One new face in particular has brought a Mediterranian glow to our team. Rafa Benitez left his native land to start a career on the Red side of the Mersey where he will be challenged in competing for every piece of silverware that comes his way. He will, I am sure lend all of his talents to hep secure the future of this team and this club.

His eye has already brought us one player in particular who immediatly adapted to the premiership and scored one of the goals of the season against Arsenal. Xabi Alonso has shown ability and provided some of the most exquisite passes that our respective competitions have ever seen. But the other players that have come to us, still have a lot to prove if they are to keep a place in our team. Josemi, Nunez and Pellegrino have joined us and at times look like possitive, adaptable and talanted players, but do have the consistancy to be called quality players. Hopefully this will come with time and coaching, but the jury is still out. The two other players that have joined us are Djibril Cisse and Fernando Morientes who have not had the time to prove their worth, but I'm sure they will in due course. Luis Garcia has shown promise and we have a lot to look forward to as we watch our new, young keeper Scott Carson develop and learn the ropes.

The main point that has been raised about this season, on this forum and in pubs and homes around the country, is the almost unbelievable and quite rediculous injury crisis that has struck our club this season. Alonso and Cisse are both out for the forseable future and Gerrard, Baros, Nunez, Hyypia, Kirkland, FSP, Smicer, Hamman and others have all spent time out with injuries. This has of course affected our progress over the last few months. Pressure has built and difficulty has increased, but we struggle on and fight for the Champions League qualification that we need.

Before I look ahead to the clubs immediate future, I'd like to mention a legend that left us this year. Emlyn Hughes was one of the finest players to ever pull on a red jersey, a great personality and the name "Crazy Horse" will always be remembered by us all.

The future of Liverpool looks like a winding road, with twists and turns which must be streightened out. Money must be found, players must be scouted and trophys must be won.

On the subject of money, the debate still rages about whether Moores should stay in soul control of the club, or whether a new investor should be found. The two names that are on all of our lips are, of course, Morgan and L4. The rich fan and the overseas empire. As this story unfolds, we will all wait, with baited fingers to find out the decision and events that will change the future of LFC.

The Players we have now have a lot left to do, if we want to secure fourth place. Everton have, unfortunatley userped us from an honour that we belive is ours. Top flight competition is imperitve to secure the services of world class players in the summer and next season. I know what you are thinking. What can I do? I ask you all now, to get behind your team, and your manager and lend the mental and emotional support that they need to help them perform to their best abilities.

This is the age of a transition, a development, a change. This is a time for growth, and with the light we will rise and spread the seeds for a glorious future, to match our glorious past.

This is, as always, only the opinion of one humble fan, who asks to hear from you, not on what I've said, but what you believe. What do you see in the road ahead? What will happen to the club? Who will come in, who will go out? On the pitch and in the boardroom what will change in the immediate days ahead. This is your opertunity to say what you really think about what has been and what will come. Be concise if you want, but above all, be honest.

Viva Los Reds!
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:17 am

That's a top post Ace.  You should post more often. 

We need regular posters like you around here. :)
jonnymac1979

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:04 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:That's a top post Ace.  You should post more often. 

get a room   :D
112-1077774096

Postby L-type » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:14 am

good post, whatcha doin in the States?
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:29 am

I'm studying American Studies at Plymouth University and I've come out here to look at various aspects of life in the States. One aspect is the "soccer" culture that exists here and there is quite an underground for it. I even managed to catch the Charlton game at an "English Pub". Unfortunatley though, the only things that EVERYBODY knows about are David Beckham and Man Ure. Hopefully though, when soccer makes it big, Liverpool will be at the forefront and can get some extra funds out of it.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:09 pm

peewee wrote:

get a room   :D

Get a life.
jonnymac1979

Postby 84-1106852058 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:20 pm

Nice post mate.Are you available to give a speech at this years A.G.M. apparently Steve Morgans Mrs got in on the act  last year.
84-1106852058

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:05 pm

The Red Baron wrote:Nice post mate.Are you available to give a speech at this years A.G.M. apparently Steve Morgans Mrs got in on the act  last year.

Ha! :D

I wish. That would pay off a few debts. :grinning:
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:48 pm

hmm it wasn`t that good........he didn`t mention the word freedom once  :D

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:12 pm

it was a good post but as it was ment to be in an american "Bush" style he should have added " we retain the right to bomb Old Trafford at any time we like in the name of the miss guided souls that have been brain washed into supporting Man u , once they are free they must then give all monies to liverpool fc and sleep in the streets Manchester and wait for us to drope food ( 1 bag of crips per 1000 people) to them"
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:58 pm

lakes10 wrote:it was a good post but as it was ment to be in an american "Bush" style he should have added " we retain the right to bomb Old Trafford at any time we like in the name of the miss guided souls that have been brain washed into supporting Man u , once they are free they must then give all monies to liverpool fc and sleep in the streets Manchester and wait for us to drope food ( 1 bag of crips per 1000 people) to them"

I'll put that in on the abbridged version.

:laugh:
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 82-1074641017 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:46 pm

82-1074641017

Postby lakes10 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:56 pm

lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:37 pm

Great contribution Roberts and Lakes.
YNWA - DrummerPhil