The fullback situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:18 pm

bavlondon wrote:proved to be so good we couldnt let him go.

:hearts
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tubby » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:25 pm

Fecking right that. The lads world class and he loves playing for us. :D Hes been a bit off recently but thats ok.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:59 am

what do you reckon is our best fullback combination when Aurelio is out?

Arbeloa/Dossena
Arbeloa/Insua
Carra/Arebloa
Darby/Arbeloa
JoeTerp

Postby skatesy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:54 am

Arbeloa and Insua

I do not know if anyone noticed or not but Garth Crooks from BBC Football put Insua in his team of the week. And not only was he in the team of the week but he was in the starting 11 of the week. I am glad to see Insua getting some recognition like that.
skatesy

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:40 am

skatesy wrote:Arbeloa and Insua

I do not know if anyone noticed or not but Garth Crooks from BBC Football put Insua in his team of the week. And not only was he in the team of the week but he was in the starting 11 of the week. I am glad to see Insua getting some recognition like that.

I think that Evra deserved it, but I wont complain.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Alex G. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:03 am

aCe' wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
metalhead wrote:I watched Alves playing for Barca last night, I can't believe that we didn't pay an extra 1m quid to get that player! He was absolutely quality, defencively and going forward as well. He scored a really good goal and was always a threat.

Its such a shame that we were once really close to getting him and we didn't.

He really wanted to come to us as well. What a wasted chance that was.

yea it was just a bad call i guess... and the Keane signing makes it look even worse...

if we had cash to spend on Mascherano... all that money... surely getting Alves ahead of him would have made more sense to me...

I never would pay 25 millions for a rightback as Barça did, NEVER.
Last edited by Alex G. on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby SupitsJonF » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:13 am

Alex G. wrote:
aCe' wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
metalhead wrote:I watched Alves playing for Barca last night, I can't believe that we didn't pay an extra 1m quid to get that player! He was absolutely quality, defencively and going forward as well. He scored a really good goal and was always a threat.

yea it was just a bad call i guess... and the Keane signing makes it look even worse...

if we had cash to spend on Mascherano... all that money... surely getting Alves ahead of him would have made more sense to me...

Would you spend 15-25 mil on Bosingwa?
SupitsJonF

Postby Alex G. » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:59 am

No more than 10 million. He´s an athlete, good skills and can beat easily his man. But no good crosses and uses to make few terrible defensive mistakes.
Last edited by Alex G. on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:47 am

Thought Insua had a really good game the other day.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bam » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:39 pm

stmichael wrote:Thought Insua had a really good game the other day.

I thought Dossena had a decent game before that.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:51 pm

Bam wrote:
stmichael wrote:Thought Insua had a really good game the other day.

I thought Dossena had a decent game before that.

That's probably fair, although he's had a couple of absolute nightmares which makes it difficult for you to afford him a run in the team.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JamCar05 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:07 pm

Alex G. wrote:
aCe' wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

At that time Alves didn't cost 25 million though mate. I can't completely recall it, but I think it was only about half of that or so. We wanted to pay 12 million, but they wanted 13 million or something like that. Now that I would pay for a great back. So it really was a shame about Alves yes, but imo Arbeloa has done well at RB this season. It's another LB I would love at the club, though there aren't really too many great ones around that I can think of (who's available for affordable money at least).
JamCar05

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:25 pm

JamCar05 wrote:
Alex G. wrote:
aCe' wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

At that time Alves didn't cost 25 million though mate. I can't completely recall it, but I think it was only about half of that or so. We wanted to pay 12 million, but they wanted 13 million or something like that. Now that I would pay for a great back. So it really was a shame about Alves yes, but imo Arbeloa has done well at RB this season. It's another LB I would love at the club, though there aren't really too many great ones around that I can think of (who's available for affordable money at least).

If we had Arbeloa and Alves, then we probably never would have bought Dossena or Degen
JoeTerp

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:52 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
JamCar05 wrote:
Alex G. wrote:
aCe' wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

If we had Arbeloa and Alves, then we probably never would have bought Dossena or Degen

notice how their names actually grade them?  :D
A+ and D-
maypaxvobiscum

Postby DanAn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:46 am

Got to say I am happy with Insua. We seem to have quite a few kids capable of doing a job but are starved of opportunity. The problem is they will never step up unless given the opportunity as Insua was given last weekend.

I'd prefer Dossena and Aurelio to be sold. With a good reliable (injury wise) left back to be purchased and Insua as first choice backup. Many will say Aurelio should be 1st choice but he's only capable of playing 50% of games. That's unacceptable as far as I am concerned, we need continuity in our starting 11 and he will never provide that.
DanAn

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion