The man city fallout..... - Any players we might be interested in?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:17 pm

Martin Petrov , one we can afford and a classy player , he's apparently way down the pecking order now even behind the youngster vladimer weiss which is a shame as he was brilliant in his first season when Sven was there , 5 million bid or so and city might sell
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:42 am

Not sure it would take £5m, but then why would Citeh sell to us...........................? Currently we are a threat (on paper) to their bid for a top four finish, they don't need money and so can sell to whosoever they want. Therein lies a flaw in the "man city fallout", 'let's grab all their unwanted players idea', they don't need to sell to us and I doubt they'd want to. If I was their manager I'd sell abroad, I wouldn't strengthen any domestic rivals.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:02 am

Owzat wrote:Not sure it would take £5m, but then why would Citeh sell to us...........................? Currently we are a threat (on paper) to their bid for a top four finish, they don't need money and so can sell to whosoever they want. Therein lies a flaw in the "man city fallout", 'let's grab all their unwanted players idea', they don't need to sell to us and I doubt they'd want to. If I was their manager I'd sell abroad, I wouldn't strengthen any domestic rivals.

City would sell us because they can afford better quality players than the ones they would sell.
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby JohnBull » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:00 am

I wouldn't worry about us buying off City I'm more worried about City buying from US !!.
They've an awful lot of money and players to offer and I'm sure the Yanks have a price for the whole Liverpool squad.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:27 am

I don't even believe if the transfer funds were available Rafa would be the right man to spend them. Yes he's made some fantastic signings but some shockers too. With money being scarce as it is I wouldn't feel confident about him getting the right player at the right price at the right time.

As for buying players from City, well theres more chance of us finnishing in the top four this season.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:32 am

We should get shut of Aquilani now while he's still well thought of at home, and buy Steven Ireland with the fee if we can get enough for him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Kinnell Mick, you haven't given him much of a chance to show what he can do mate :D I have my doubts but I am not brave enough to think about selling him so soon. I would love Ireland but I think we have to give Aquilani a game or two before we put him in the same category as Dossena.
account deleted by request

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:58 pm

s@int wrote:Kinnell Mick, you haven't given him much of a chance to show what he can do mate :D I have my doubts but I am not brave enough to think about selling him so soon. I would love Ireland but I think we have to give Aquilani a game or two before we put him in the same category as Dossena.

When though s@int?

He's fit but not getting a runout for some reason..... maybe he hasn't impressed in training or whatever it is but pure speculation suggests that Rafa can't seem to fit him in the team.

All I know is, right now, we have 20 million quid sitting on the bench.
ConnO'var

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:14 am

Festy wrote:
Owzat wrote:Not sure it would take £5m, but then why would Citeh sell to us...........................? Currently we are a threat (on paper) to their bid for a top four finish, they don't need money and so can sell to whosoever they want. Therein lies a flaw in the "man city fallout", 'let's grab all their unwanted players idea', they don't need to sell to us and I doubt they'd want to. If I was their manager I'd sell abroad, I wouldn't strengthen any domestic rivals.

City would sell us because they can afford better quality players than the ones they would sell.

Why would they sell to their rivals? Because they don't need the players?!? The mancs didn't want Heinze, wouldn't sell him to us though. I doubt Chelsea would sell to us, even players they don't want and same goes for Arsenal. Why? Because they don't want to STRENGTHEN RIVALS - get it?

Did you even read my post, or just reply to the first line......................?  :no

Keep kidding yourself, but then maybe Citeh are naive. I'd rather give our players to someone else than sell to the mancs, same goes for selling to the bitters. There's more to it than simply whether a team wants or needs to sell when a club has a choice.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:43 am

s@int wrote:Kinnell Mick, you haven't given him much of a chance to show what he can do mate :D I have my doubts but I am not brave enough to think about selling him so soon. I would love Ireland but I think we have to give Aquilani a game or two before we put him in the same category as Dossena.

Got to agree. While Keane wasn't a roaring success here, and according to one member he was subbed after 60 mins every game, but selling back so fast not only looked bad, but didn't give him a chance to settle and left us woefully short of cover.

In this scenario we might sell back at say £15m and then we'd be back to square one in needing someone to play Alonso's role or at least be our creative midfielder. And as Rafa brought us Dossena, Aquilani and Keane I have to agree with madeinuk's remark about trusting Rafa with funds. Him keep selling players after buying them only six months previous is not exactly making him look like he knows what he is doing. Maybe he needs to stop spending and start getting the best out of his squad. Maybe we need to bite the bullet, put the past in the past, and give EVERYONE in the squad tabula rasa. Maybe if we didn't write off so many players in the squad we might actually get to use it better.

One of the things I've been thinking about is how much our team has changed since 04/05 compared to the mancs and Chelsea.

20/09/04 MNU v LIV

Carroll, BROWN, FERDINAND, Silvestre, Heinze, Ronaldo, O'SHEA, Keane, GIGGS, SCHOLES, Smith, Van Nistelrooy, NEVILLE, Kleberson, FLETCHER, Ricardo

Dudek, Josemi, CARRAGHER, Hyypia, Riise, Finnan, GERRARD, Hamann, Alonso, Kewell, Luis Garcia, Cisse, Baros, Diao, Traore, Kirkland

So the mancs still have seven players to our two. Fair enough a lot of the squad was rubbish when Rafa took over, but some of the players would make more than useful squad players compared to some of what we now have.

01/01/05 LIV vs CHE

Dudek, Finnan, Hyypia, CARRAGHER, Traore, Luis Garcia, GERRARD, Hamann, Alonso, Nunez, Riise, Mellor, Sinama Pongolle, Diao, Warnock, Harrison

CECH, FERREIRA, TERRY, Gallas, Johnson, Tiago, LAMPARD, Makelele, Duff, JOE COLE, Robben, Kezman, Gudjohnsen, DROGBA, Cudicini, Geremi

So two Liverpool players to six Chelsea players, not helped by Chelsea changing managers a few times since. To make it a bit of a fairer comparison, here's the first manc vs Chelsea game of 04/05

15/08/04 CHE vs MNU

CECH, FERREIRA, Gallas, TERRY, Bridge, Geremi, CARVALHO, Makelele, LAMPARD, Smertin, DROGBA, Kezman, Gudjohnsen, Parker, Cudicini, Mutu

Howard, Silvestre, NEVILLE, Keane, Fortune, Bellion, Miller, Richardson, O'SHEA, Djemba Djemba, Forlan, GIGGS, SCHOLES, Smith, Ricardo, P.Neville

A few less mancs played in that first game that are still at old twatford, same number of Chelsea players except Joe Cole didn't play and Carvalho did. To me the two main reasons the mancs stopped Chelsea winning three in a row was Jose's arrogance and his changing of the winning team. He even left himself short of CBs, didn't we play them when ESSIEN was playing CB alongside Ferreira? He swapped Gallas, sold Huth and left himself short. That season saw them sell Carlton Cole, Duff, Crespo, Geremi, Del Horno and Crespo as well. What came in was not all 'top quality' in Boulahrouz, Cashley, Sidwell, Pizarro and Ben Haim. The main change the mancs made was to bring in Carrick. Anderson, Nani, Kuzczsak and Hargreaves didn't really feature - Kuzczsak is the only one I can find as having played that season for them and that was six league games and in the domestic cups

Something to be said for consistency, I'd have been more confident of us winning the league had we kept Arbeloa, Alonso and the same side as last season.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 am

I would take ireland even though he speaks/looks like an alien
Fauxy

Postby lakes10 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:14 am

oops just see this thread.

there are a lot of reports about players sales at man city, i wonder if Rafa will be looking to by any if he is still the boss after tonight.

might be a few big names going.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:25 pm

bellamy as support for Torres? ???

seriously tho, th 1 player we cudda done with as a damn fine addition in my book was Dunne, an we had t mek do wi th greek fella cuz no money afta Aquilani an Johnson, despite Rafa gettin that money back (or at least almost all of it). Humpty an Dumpty wont put money forward is my fear, an by th time we negotiate a way out for Babel/Doss/Degen etc then it'll be too late to attract any1 half decent unless they're already tapped up an waitin th call.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:41 pm

KennyisGod....still wrote:bellamy as support for Torres? ???

seriously tho, th 1 player we cudda done with as a damn fine addition in my book was Dunne, an we had t mek do wi th greek fella cuz no money afta Aquilani an Johnson , despite Rafa gettin that money back (or at least almost all of it). Humpty an Dumpty wont put money forward is my fear, an by th time we negotiate a way out for Babel/Doss/Degen etc then it'll be too late to attract any1 half decent unless they're already tapped up an waitin th call.

TYPE THE WHOLE FCKIG WORD FFS !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:47 pm

aCe' wrote:
KennyisGod....still wrote:bellamy as support for Torres? ???

seriously tho, th 1 player we cudda done with as a damn fine addition in my book was Dunne, an we had t mek do wi th greek fella cuz no money afta Aquilani an Johnson , despite Rafa gettin that money back (or at least almost all of it). Humpty an Dumpty wont put money forward is my fear, an by th time we negotiate a way out for Babel/Doss/Degen etc then it'll be too late to attract any1 half decent unless they're already tapped up an waitin th call.

TYPE THE WHOLE FCKIG WORD FFS !

y?   :p   avin trubl reedin?
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion