The goalkeeping situation - Concerned?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:41 am

whats your views on our current keepers at the club?  everyone thought we had it cracked when GH brought in Dudek and Kirkland in that double coup, but i really think that it's yet again starting to be a problem area for us.

i think Dudek has the quality, but as is the norm with our keepers, he has these erratic displays that cost us points on too many occasions and loses us 3-4 games a season and doesnt seem to breed confidence through our defence. if kirkland was fit i don't think he'd be playing now to be honest.

kirkland - potential long term england no1 but needs more time, his positional sense is not there yet, quite often gets stranded. do you think its our coaches because former keepers james, westerveld and friedal have gone on to be top quality respected keepers. the guy also appears to be injury prone which is a worry.

I belive the keepers have world class potential but this has been thwarted by the clubs goal keeping coach Joe Corrigan. Example is Westerveld this lad was class in his first season then the blunders started. this stems from the coaching and if they cant restore confidence then they arent doing there job. This has happend with dudek in the past and i just pray it dosent happen with kirkland as he is class.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:55 am

It's good to think out of each areas including the goalpost. But in frame of prioritising things, I would not think that this issue should be put on top, despite their frequent injuries.

Forward, defense and mid requires urgent attention currently.

Dudek should not be another Westerveld only after his most clumsy performance against Mancs
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leoliv » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:55 am

NOPE.

DUDEK KIRK LUZI HARRISON

dudek is been doing ok of late.
leoliv

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:16 pm

I personally think we jhave a big problem with our goalkeeping coach. I dont think Joe Corrigan is any good at all.

All our keepers come and are great then after Joe has worked with them for a few months thay lose confidence and become prone to mistakes.

James - current England No1 and great shot stopper, Big Joe drained his confidence.

Freidel - arguably last years best Premeirship goalkeeper. Corrigan made him mediocre.

Dudek - Great at first, now elects to parry instead of catching and seems totally inept. No confidence.

Kirkland - furutre England No.1 no doubts, but suffers from injuries, most of which are in training.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:19 pm

good points, tho  :)
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:25 pm

very good point about freidel. he was unbelievably good last season. i wouldn't be surprised if arsenal swooped for him to replace that mad, whinging german tw#t lehmann.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby swiss_kopite » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:33 pm

re-activate grobelaar!!! would at least mean lot of fun  :;):
swiss_kopite

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:36 pm

nah he'd start throwing games. :D

it's funny though that when we had david james, one of my mates said he'd rather have grobelaar in goal trying to lose a game than james trying to win one. i thought that was quite funny. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:54 pm

stmichael wrote:nah he'd start throwing games. :D

it's funny though that when we had david james, one of my mates said he'd rather have grobelaar in goal trying to lose a game than james trying to win one. i thought that was quite funny. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

do you think that's applicable to comparison of Alan Hansen to Igor Biscan?  :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:57 pm

if biscan was trying to lose he'd probably have a better game than he normally does anyway. hopefully he'll be playing for croatia against england in euro 2004. imagine what kind of a mug stevie g would make him look like then! :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:59 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I personally think we jhave a big problem with our goalkeeping coach. I dont think Joe Corrigan is any good at all.

All our keepers come and are great then after Joe has worked with them for a few months thay lose confidence and become prone to mistakes.

James - current England No1 and great shot stopper, Big Joe drained his confidence.

Freidel - arguably last years best Premeirship goalkeeper. Corrigan made him mediocre.

Dudek - Great at first, now elects to parry instead of catching and seems totally inept. No confidence.

Kirkland - furutre England No.1 no doubts, but suffers from injuries, most of which are in training.

yeah it is worrying, our keepers are always great at first but then start making errors after they been at the club for more than a season. James,dudek and westerveld all had good seasons for us, and friedel was very highly rated and then they all started becoming error prone it cant be a coincidence
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion