The goalkeeping situation - Looking rosy

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:01 pm

If I'm not mistaken, that's 12 clean sheets in 16 games this season for Pepe Reina. Ok off the top of my head I can't think of many outstanding saves he's had to make as he's been well protected by our outstanding defence. The true test will come in the next CL round and games against better opposition in the Premiership when the defence will no doubt come under a lot more pressure.

However, after some initial doubts over his general communication with the defence which was understandable, he seems to be instilling fans with a lot more confidence now. Yesterday he made one brilliant punch in the dying seconds and was also like lightning coming off his line to make a save when one of their player was through (even though he was wrongly flagged offside).

To be honest, we've been somewhat cursed with goalkeepers over the last ten years so I'm not going to count my chickens just yet. The likes of James, Westerveld, Dudek all started their LFC careers well but then suffered a crisis of confidence and deteriorated. I just can't see Reina doing this as he's already showing more command of his penalty area than any of the aforementioned ever did.

It now looks like Dudek might be away in the January transfer window and Kirkland is currently on loan at West Brom no doubt looking for a permanent move. However when you consider that Reina's only 23 and we have Carson (who I also rate) waiting in the wings, the goalkeeping situation looks rosy for years to come.

:buttrock
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby zarababe » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:09 pm

Definately inspires confidence. I think our bak 5 have been awesome so-far this season.. things are looking great all round.. :)

where are those doubters now ay.. some of them who ranted and raved on these pages too.. :no

Perspective is truly a rare quality now a days  :nod
Last edited by zarababe on Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sparky » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:10 pm

Like you said, he has not been tested much in games from what i have seen, but his reading of the game, decision making, quickness off the line, positioning and kicking (which is very important in the modern game i.e mark bosnich, great shot stopper could not kick for toffee) all seem to be top notch.  Seen have a lot of good games last year in La liga, where he would make save after save, mostly penalties!!!
We certainly have a great keeper in Reina, plus he is also young, and goalkeepers get better with age! (except for shilton!!)
"My Idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility"

"To build Liverpool up and up, untill eventually everyone would have to submit!!!"
Sparky

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:14 pm

Sparky wrote:Like you said, he has not been tested much in games from what i have seen,

Remember, half the work of a goalkeeper is coordinating the defense. Some of the best keepers in the world hardly ever have to deal with shots on goal because the defenders in front of him are so in tune.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dannyboy » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:17 pm

have to agree with everything said bout Pepe. he is diffrent gravy. it does look like dudek will leave and although he did have a few howlers he did contribute to the euro cup final. i also liked kirkland and was dissapointed to see him go but Pepe has definatly impressed. also i see kirkland is injured again we just cant afford to have a player as injury prone as him.
Dannyboy

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:19 pm

The main difference is at least Reina's not afraid to defend the box. Dudek was so passive at times it was shocking. He didn't even defend the six yard box.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:20 pm

Today you played a liga match, and you got a point with rotations, not the best eleven (neither had they) and good defensive performance. The merits of the clean sheets, are of all the team, if you have poor centre backs, it doesn't matter who you have under the goal. So this good work should be given to Reina, Carragher and Hyppia, if not all the team.

Anyway I find Reina's work cool. Better than expected, and I'm happy for that.

I'm very confident in this team, I have always been, now even more

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:24 pm

Hows Carson doing? Haven't heard from him in a while.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:29 pm

Sabre wrote:if you have poor centre backs, it doesn't matter who you have under the goal. So this good work should be given to Reina, Carragher and Hyppia, if not all the team.

In all fairness Sabre, defenders can only play with confidence if they're confident in the 'keeper behind them. The defence are obviously more confident than they were with Dudek behind them and rightly so. I've always stated that our defence is top class and that they just needed a truly top class keeper behind them as the final piece of the jigsaw. Now we have one you can see the results.

Reina made several great saves away to Betis, made a brilliant save last night that was given offside, made an amazing save in the last minute away to CSKA or Kaunas cant remember which match, made a great save from Robben against Chelsea, some good saves early in the game away to Anderlecht aswell.

He's also mopped up countless times after through balls over the top. He might not of had to make save after save but he's part of the reason we've got so many clean sheets, the defence are confident playing infront of him, its obvious.

Having seen Villarreal the other night, the guy who they've got as his replacement isn't in the same league.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:34 pm

I think the main reason we have kept so many sheets has been down to the defence. Carragher is surely the form defender in England at the moment, and Sammi's form at present is the best for a number of years. Both Risse and Finnan are by far and away the best options at full back. Risse came up against one of the best in the world last night and to the best of my recollection was only beaten twice: the first time Zenden tracked back and cleared the ball once Jaoquin went past Risse and the second time Jaoquin ran himself over the sideline after other Liverpool defenders closed him down.

However, Reina definitely seems to be getting better. His kicking is far better than it was 2 months ago, and he's becoming more confident. He did very well to get off his line for the (offside) attempt in the second half, and his punch under pressure at the death was top class.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:54 pm

AussieKopite wrote:Hows Carson doing? Haven't heard from him in a while.

nah he doesn't ring me nowadays either. :(

:D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby MilitiaRusher » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:20 pm

Yea, like JBG said, its mostly down to our rock solid defence since none of us really recall Reina making excessive number of saves. I won't want to judge so early though, I'll give it another couple of months before I can make a concrete judgement on Reina.

Having said that, Reina did look quite shaky a couple of months ago and he's definately improving a lot now.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby desperado0831 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:25 pm

We look like jaunty since we kept so many clean sheer. Reina is still up for test and he's too tough for everyone but Crouch.:)

So, which 1 do you guys want to pick regardless their team. Reina or Ceccccch? ???
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby desperado0831 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:25 pm

For me, sebastian frey is the best goalkeeper in the present football world.
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby A.B. » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:19 pm

St Mick, some good points in that post.

Btw, where did you copy it from? :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion