The fullback situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby metalhead » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:32 pm

Benitez backing for Dossena
Boss admits it will take time for summer signing to adapt

By James Dall   Last updated: 29th November 2008

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez has called for patience over Andrea Dossena as the defender adapts to the physicality of the Premier League.

Dossena has made 13 appearances for the Reds this season since signing from Serie A side Udinese in the summer.

The left-back has competed with Fabio Aurelio for a place in Benitez's starting XI and has sometimes struggled for form.

Benitez, though, is content with the 27-year-old's development at Anfield and feels he will eventually prove a success for the club.
Battling

"The main thing for me is that he is working very, very hard," Benitez told the club's official website.

"The other day against Marseille he was trying to impress. He was going forward well and, okay, he made some mistakes in defence, but he also blocked some shots.

"He is working very hard but maybe he needs to be a little bit calmer and relaxed when he plays because he's a little bit anxious now."

Better

Benitez added: "It's difficult because Italian football is very tactical. Everyone is together and they don't play too many long balls - it's less physical than English football.

"So, he will need time - but the main thing for me is that he wants to improve, that's clear.

"He needs to know the system here and he will improve. You never know how long it will take but hopefully he'll be better in the next game."

-------------

Eh? he made some mistakes? ofcourse he did, he made alot of mistakes. Blocked shots? which ones? the ones that hit him and goes back to the opposition player? :D

Clearly our gaffa still rates him, he may improve, but he will never be good enough I think.

SOURCE
Last edited by metalhead on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:42 pm

shut up Metalhead. he is still a Liverpool player and deserves every bit of support. by being mean to him its not doing his confidence good. :angry:  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Change your font ffs mate.  :p

Im with Metalhead on this one. Yeah yeah so he is lucky enough to wear the red shirt. He has put in enough poor performances to warrant this slagging off. He isnt being slated for no reason. He was being skinned all over the place the other day. No way in hell is he good enough to play for Liverpool. Whether he can step up and improve who knows time will tell but he will get a chance whilst Aurelio is injured.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:09 pm

bavlondon wrote:Change your font ffs mate.  :p

Im with Metalhead on this one. Yeah yeah so he is lucky enough to wear the red shirt. He has put in enough poor performances to warrant this slagging off. He isnt being slated for no reason. He was being skinned all over the place the other day. No way in hell is he good enough to play for Liverpool. Whether he can step up and improve who knows time will tell but he will get a chance whilst Aurelio is injured.

:D

yeah i agree with you Bav that he isnt good enough at the moment but he might make a dramatic improvement?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby tubby » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Im sure he will be sold come the summer.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:19 pm

It´s official, Insua is FAR better than Dossena. Thank God we have a decent substitute for Aurelio! :)
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby JamCar05 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:30 pm

INSUA FOR PRESIDENT! Wait, am I overreacting a bit here? Anyway, the kid had a good game today, and hopefully he'll get more chances until Aurelio returns (and when he gets injured again :sniffle). Would be nice to see a few of our youngsters make the step up to the first team.
JamCar05

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:37 pm

Owzat wrote:
GYBS wrote:Bridge is pretty good - very solid defensively and pretty decent going forward - always rated him and think would be very good for us but can never see chelsea selling him to us .

I have to say Bridge isn't "shit", I rate him higher than cashley who gallops forward with no great effect and looks dodgy at times defensively for such an expensive full-back. For one season and maybe a bit, Arsenal had the better of that 'cash plus player' deal. It looks like Gallas is a bad loser though, not that Chelsea's lack of trophies hasn't coincided with the arrival of cashley...................

But I couldn't see Chelsea selling us Bridge. If Aurelio could tighten up his game defensively then would we be having a discussion on LB?

Suggestions on Lahm I do like as well, one of the players I always look to sign on a footy management game. Also try to get Johnson and Clichy, young enough to improve and have a few years left in them.

Spot on , bridge is a very underrated player and would not cost us alot provided chelsea decide to sell him to us at a fair price .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:38 pm

Alex G. wrote:It´s official, Insua is FAR better than Dossena. Thank God we have a decent substitute for Aurelio! :)

:no , dossena is still better than him , but he has not done justice   to that with his performances . if he does not perform by January it will be a good time to sell him back and get a replacement , ala bridge as aurelio is too injury prone .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:41 pm

I dont want to get excited over one decent performance but he has looked better in that one performance than all of Dossena's appearances altogether.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:42 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
Alex G. wrote:It´s official, Insua is FAR better than Dossena. Thank God we have a decent substitute for Aurelio! :)

:no , dossena is still better than him , but he has not done justice   to that with his performances . if he does not perform by January it will be a good time to sell him back and get a replacement , ala bridge as aurelio is too injury prone .

Bridge is pretty injury prone too isnt he?

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:47 pm

Not this season so far mate , he has stepped in a couple of times for cashley this season already .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Are Chavski looking to offload him? Even if they were I cant see them selling to us. Look what happened with Duff.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:54 pm

Chelsea will be willing to sell , just not to us unless bridge requests a transfer to join LFC or something . Heinze is also another good shout , good player and would be relatively cheap
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:05 pm

Toffeehater wrote:Chelsea will be willing to sell

How can you be so sure of that ???. It would leave them with only one recognised left back in Cole, and I'm not sure Scolari would go with that at all.
JamCar05

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion