The fullback situation

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:03 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:yes, i was a huge fan of Chivu and Contra. :)

Same here, Chivu was awesome in his pomp although injuries have slowed him down a bit the last few years. I remember Contra causing us all sorts of problems in the UEFA Cup final for Alaves.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:08 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:another italian? other than Zola or di Matteo, italians dont seem to fare well here. i might be wrong though as i cant recall any other successes besides those 2 and Ravanelli.

I think we got the wrong Italian Left-Back. I actually like Grosso, good player plus far more suited to the English game. Bigger, stronger and more physical than Dodgy Doss. It would have a costed a few more million but would have been the better option by far. I'm also a big fan of Lahm, not sure what he would cost these days? He didn't have the best Euros from the games i saw but he's still quality.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:41 am

Scottbot wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:another italian? other than Zola or di Matteo, italians dont seem to fare well here. i might be wrong though as i cant recall any other successes besides those 2 and Ravanelli.

I think we got the wrong Italian Left-Back. I actually like Grosso, good player plus far more suited to the English game. Bigger, stronger and more physical than Dodgy Doss. It would have a costed a few more million but would have been the better option by far. I'm also a big fan of Lahm, not sure what he would cost these days? He didn't have the best Euros from the games i saw but he's still quality.

Lahm looks like Ashley cole to me, good going forward but dodgy at the back.
IMO fullbacks should be judged on their defending first and attacking second.
Bring back Warnock I say.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:18 am

Warnock is a good shout really impressed with his progress ever since he has left , maybe ince will be stupid enough to take a straight swap for pennant ?
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:00 am

Lahm - outstanding player - would take him a flash . happy at both left back and right back - but would cost 15 mil plus
Grosso - decent enough player pushing 30 now thou .

Warnock is a good shout and expect he would come back him in an instant - think rafa liked and rated him just kept getting injured and couldnt get past riise .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:34 pm

GYBS wrote:Lahm - outstanding player - would take him a flash . happy at both left back and right back - but would cost 15 mil plus
Grosso - decent enough player pushing 30 now thou .

Warnock is a good shout and expect he would come back him in an instant - think rafa liked and rated him just kept getting injured and couldnt get past riise .

Hes getting on a bit now. I thought that Pander looked ok the other night for Germany. Think he plays for Stuttgart or Shalke??? Even he would cost 15mil plus.

Igor/Nanny I wasnt trying to mean it in a bad way about Darby but the fact is if he was good enough he would be breaking into the first team. Even Plessis looked good on the few games he played last season but then against Spurs this season he looked way out of his depth. God knows how many kids we have heard this about over the years, Nemeth, Anderson, Hobbs....and now Darby.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Koptite » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:38 pm

i said this in the transfer rumor page but ill say it again....i think Wayne Bridge would be a great shout
Koptite

Postby Octsky » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:43 pm

Toffeehater wrote:Warnock is a good shout really impressed with his progress ever since he has left , maybe ince will be stupid enough to take a straight swap for pennant ?

isnt warnock responsible for the 3 goals out of 4 goals trashing by arsenal a few games back?
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Koptite » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Rush Job wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Lahm looks like Ashley cole to me, good going forward but dodgy at the back.
IMO fullbacks should be judged on their defending first and attacking second.
Bring back Warnock I say.

i agree, very dodgy at the back. I remember in the euro championships lahm got torn apart buy Arda Turan who plays for Turkey and Galatasary. Don't fancy him at all
Koptite

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Koptite wrote:i said this in the transfer rumor page but ill say it again....i think Wayne Bridge would be a great shout

no way
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:08 pm

Hes a bit injury prone.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:39 pm

bavlondon wrote:Hes a bit injury prone.

injury prone! he's Fu*king sh'it
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:50 pm

edit
maypaxvobiscum

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Bridge is pretty good - very solid defensively and pretty decent going forward - always rated him and think would be very good for us but can never see chelsea selling him to us .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 pm

If Rafa has decided that Dossena isn't good enough and is going to be shipped out, then he shouldn't play again. Give Insua the chance to be back up to Aurelio, and let's face it, he'll get a few chances in the first team. If he isn't good enough then we can look to bring someone else in, in summer, with Insua either going out on loan or leaving altogether. If he is good enough then the problem is solved.

It would do my head in if Rafa persists with Dossena even though he knows he's sh#t. I know he'll want to recoup some of the transfer fee and him not playing might harm the chance of that but he's detrimental to the team and could cost us points so it's not worth the risk.

And as for the previous suggestion that we should sign Lahm, I'd prefer to sign a left back who can actually defend. The Euro's showed him up for what he is in that he got turned inside out by Colin Kazim Richards ffs.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion