The cost of attending games - An analysis with europe

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:39 am

the J-League is fairly interesting and could become fairly popular in a couple of years, the Japs play great entertaining football and it could become one of the better leagues.

I have family in Europe and all they seem to watch is mostly the Premiership. Foreign managers and players have brought a great variety of football to the Premiership and that's what makes it great to watch.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:50 am

Dalglish wrote:However when it costs on average 4 times as much to watch comparitive games in premiership than  the bundeleigh then that can't be right surely ??? the prem FOUR times better than the Bundersleigh ? ???

As a football fan would you rather watch fast paced game of the Premiership or a game of the Bundesliga where if you were to take a ****** you wouldn't miss anything while if you were to do that during a Premiership game you might miss a goal or two.

Would you watch Chelsea vs. Liverpool or Leverkusen vs. Dortmund?

Maybe the Premiership is not four times as better than the Bundesliga but it is more watched than the Bundesliga at this point of time.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:55 am

Well obviously I'd rather watch Liverpool painting a fence than pretty much anyone else !!!!!

But we are talking the cost and value for money here and the premiership is overpriced considerably.  ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby policy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:36 am

As most of us are well aware of, it is an issue of:

Supply vs. Demand. (Economics 101).

Whenever demand goes up for whatever reason, the supplier can charge more for the good though fewer people are going to be able to afford the product, service, whatever.

Liverpool is a huge assed team. I live in LOS ANGELES and am getting plans together to fly to Liverpool this May to watch a few football games.

That is going to cost me at least 500 quid.

When freaks and fanatics put enough value to something, prices are likely to become outrageous.

A game in Turin for Juventus (I am told) rarely ever sells out because the locals don't think that it is a good enough buy to watch Juventus play.

Read this little tidbit.
http://bianconeri.tripod.com/fans2.html

So our board is made up of good economists who know they can charge an arm and a leg and still sell out.

Plus when something costs a lot, it naturally becomes more attractive. Hahaha.

Sorry to pontificate. I am actually in the health sciences and not economics. Ironically, economics doesn't pay well.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby vlady16.1 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:50 am

policy tell me about it i went to see pool v porto in toronto and dropped ~ $500 and it was ~ 200 miles away --

guys don't b***ch too much -- i'm going to use all my air miles  spend 2k- maybe lose my job to get to pool this year

ynwa
vlady16.1

Postby LFC #1 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:40 am

as policy said it's a simple economic concept, that of Supply and Demand.

If the stadium sells out or comes within 1000 seats or so of selling out then the price will remain the same. Here is the dilemma; do you as a fan stop attending games and try to perduade others to follow suit in order to lower prices or continue to pay the price that they charge beacuse you love the club that much?

the latter largely applies and unfortunately in this day and age the fans are manipulated by greedy businessman who are only interested in lining their pockets.

If prices got ridicuousy high, which you could argue they are now and the fans revolted then make no misatke the club would change it's ticketing pricing policies, but are fans willing to stop seeing the team they love in order to save a few pounds every week?
Last edited by LFC #1 on Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:24 pm

.. true Scott and Policy ... how many fans.. including you Ian will stop investing in hiked-up season tickets and buying over-priced tickets in general... wherever Liverpool play the price banding is in the top threshold.. no-one will boycott football matches.. waiting lists for season tickets run into miles etc.. and football is a private industry.. can't really regulate pricing unless u nationalise it :D imagine..
Last edited by zarababe on Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:54 pm

Supply and demand is cyclical. If people stop going to the game the price will have to come down. If the price comes down then more people will go to the game again which means prices will creep up again.

In a free market there's nothing that can be done about it, but in the football market it's even more acute because of the drug-like effect the team has on it's supporters
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:07 am

Woollyback wrote:Supply and demand is cyclical. If people stop going to the game the price will have to come down. If the price comes down then more people will go to the game again which means prices will creep up again.

In a free market there's nothing that can be done about it, but in the football market it's even more acute because of the drug-like effect the team has on it's supporters

exactly my point woolly, people aren't willing to give up their season ticket cos they feel it's too expensive, cos their are thousands on the waiting lists who will gladly pay for it.

Unfortuantely the businesmman have seen this and realise that supporters have a guilty conscience if you will, felling they have to go to and see thier club week in week out to truly support them.

all it is, is shrewd business. Football tickets have a resoanbly low "price elasticity", meaning as the price changes demand doesn't fluctuate that greatly.

Never thought High School Economics would come in handy during a football debate, but there you go.  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:32 pm

for a start getting tickets is a pain in the a-hole and secondly i cant afford to attend all the game, i could probably make it to about 12 a year paying so i chose to become a steward.  £590 for a season ticket is a bit steep and you cant even get one if you wanted.

my dream would be for liverpool to have 2 nightmare seasons and all the ooters and armchair supporters go and cheer on arsenal or chelsea, that way i would be able to get a season ticket. hooray
109-1105722616

Postby zarababe » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:34 pm

marklfc wrote:for a start getting tickets is a pain in the a-hole and secondly i cant afford to attend all the game, i could probably make it to about 12 a year paying so i chose to become a steward.  £590 for a season ticket is a bit steep and you cant even get one if you wanted.

my dream would be for liverpool to have 2 nightmare seasons and all the ooters and armchair supporters go and cheer on arsenal or chelsea, that way i would be able to get a season ticket. hooray

.. so what have the last 15 years been .. if not a mare without a league title to our name..  :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:38 pm

marklfc wrote:my dream would be for liverpool to have 2 nightmare seasons and all the ooters and armchair supporters go and cheer on arsenal or chelsea, that way i would be able to get a season ticket. hooray

shut up diaperoneer
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:38 pm

the last 15 have been bad but we have won a few trophies along the way so its not that bad.
109-1105722616

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:42 am

marklfc wrote:my dream would be for liverpool to have 2 nightmare seasons and all the ooters and armchair supporters go and cheer on arsenal or chelsea, that way i would be able to get a season ticket. hooray

your argument is terrible.

Firstly 99% of ooters don't have season tickets cos they don't live close neough to go to the game week in week out, for example why would an American fan want a season ticket?

and on armchair supporters. They are called armchair supporters beacuse they choose to watch the game at home you plank, so therefore again they wouldn't have a season ticket.

you say you are 19, well you must have dropped out of school many years ago to have such terrible logical thinking.

oh yeh and you are obviously dapionner and every1 knows it so why not ****** off to naother forum and start your childish games somewhere else?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 109-1105722616 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:24 am

my problem is that liverpool have less season ticket holers than everton because liverpool like to get families in who spend money in the shop and in the teabars, so real fans find it hard to attend all the home games
109-1105722616

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion