The cost of attending games - An analysis with europe

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Woollyback » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:42 am

Football is a one-off, it's the only (legitimate) business I know of where the supplier has the consumer by the short 'n' curlies. The kind of brand loyalty Tesco could only ever dream of

I don't think there is an answer to it I'm afraid Ian, unless it becomes a regulated sport with capped wages, fixed prices etc but that's obviously never going to happen

We'll just have to continue emptying our pockets for the benefit of spoilt-brat footballers and corporate slimeballs   :(
Last edited by Woollyback on Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:48 am

marklfc wrote:i notice at the game that there are loads of families there(plus it ruins the atmosphere and you cant enjoy the match cos the cnuts keep making trips to the teabar.) its costs too much nowadays anyway for a lot of people.  im only 19 so i cant remember the days of cheap entry to games.  been to a few but ive resided to having to get a job as a steward( and no im not dapioneer nor do i know of him)

:glare: and how do u know that diaponeer claimed to be a steward.. Diaponeer  :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:03 am

Football is a business and so is every other sport. One ticket for American Football game is at the maximum of $200, thats just an example.

Footballers used to play for 100 pounds a week, even less but that has changed and so have the price of tickets.
Last edited by supersub on Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:05 am

I'm quite keen for you to tell the forum how much it costs to watch American Football or Basketball, both sports where the players earn extraordinary amounts of money. If players wages were the only reason for the high cost of watching football in the UK then why isn't the cost the same all over Europe ? ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:10 am

Dalglish wrote:I'm quite keen for you to tell the forum how much it costs to watch American Football or Basketball, both sports where the players earn extraordinary amounts of money. If players wages were the only reason for the high cost of watching football in the UK then why isn't the cost the same all over Europe ? ???

Good question. When you have games like Liverpool vs. Manchester United you would want to raise the price of the tickets because it's a huge game and would be a sell out, you wouldn't want the fans to pay the same amount of money for the game against Birmingham as they do against the likes of Man Utd at Anfield.

As a businessman you would want to make profit. In Spain you would expect the ticket price for Barca vs. Real Madrid to be extradionary higher than the ticket price for Barca vs. Athletico Madrid, its a matter of business and money.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:14 am

A.B. wrote:?As a businessman you would want to make profit. In Spain you would expect the ticket price for Barca vs. Real Madrid to be extradionary higher than the ticket price for Barca vs. Athletico Madrid, its a matter of business and money.

But thats my whole point AB, it DOESN'T cost anywhere like the amount of money to watch football in Europe even in the Spanish league where you could argue the worlds best players are plying their trade.

Barceloan Vs Real Madrid costs around 30 Euros's (£18).

It's the premier League and namely SKY who have pushed up the price of football in this country IMO
:Oo:
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:18 am

I don't live in England so I'm not aware of what Sky has done in these past 10 years or so.

Sky have let Fox Sports World, a channel here in the US broadcast Sky's Premiership and Bundesliga games for probably a huge amount of money and its been going on for a couple years. Sky are a bunch of greedy b@stards trying to earn as much as money as possible, but thats how business is, unfourtanetly.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:23 am

Your probabbly right mate but when you spend a significant amount of disposable income on going to games its not the best feeling in the world to realise your being bled dry by "business" people interested in your pocket more than your participation as a fan ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:23 am

The Premier League is now the most watched league, a couple of years ago it was bad as the SPL is now. Millions of people watch the Premiership and it has spread the popularity.

Quality league with quality players so having said that whoever is  the head of the Premiership would want the prices to be fairly high because the Premiership is such a popular league.

If millions of people are watching it across the world and wish to watch a Premiership game then of course the prices will be high, they want to earn money because they have turned an unpopular league into the number league on the planet.

La Liga or any other league can't compete with the Premiership. If you want quality then you have to pay for it, and the Premiership is quality.

You can go to a store and find some cheap wine, but you would want some good quality wine for the dinner you're having so you would bay the quality wine that costs lets say 50 pounds rather than the cheap sh1t tasting bottle of wine thats worth 10 pounds.

Same thing with the Premiership. The more it grows the more money will be made.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:24 am

Dalglish wrote:
A.B. wrote:?As a businessman you would want to make profit. In Spain you would expect the ticket price for Barca vs. Real Madrid to be extradionary higher than the ticket price for Barca vs. Athletico Madrid, its a matter of business and money.

But thats my whole point AB, it DOESN'T cost anywhere like the amount of money to watch football in Europe even in the Spanish league where you could argue the worlds best players are plying their trade.

Barceloan Vs Real Madrid costs around 30 Euros's (£18).

It's the premier League and namely SKY who have pushed up the price of football in this country IMO
:Oo:

Spot on Ian. That is the only thing which can explain the difference between us & Spain, Italy & Germany. Apart from the TV issue, the figures for the big clubs in Engalnd and those other 3 huge leagues in Europe must be pretty similar in terms of attendances & player wages. Unless all the big English clubs are lying about how much profit they do or don't make then the money must be going to the TV moneymen
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:26 am

Premier League >any other league at the moment.

Quality costs money and the Premiership has grown tremendously in popularity and in quality therefore whether we like it or not the tickets will cost more.

The way they're thinking is "If we're so watched then we need to set the standard and raise the prices, they want good football but they have to pay for it. "
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:30 am

Comparitivly speaking the footballs only of a higher quality to the people watching who follow a particular club . From aneutral point of view (Which i'm obviously not) then the Spanish league has got to be of a higher quality than the Premier ?

Obviously for LFC fans we are bound to have a deeper interest in the English league but that doesn't mean its of a higher quality than other leagues ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:35 am

I've watched everything from the Bundesliga to the J-League and I got to say that the La Liga isn't as interesting as it once was when I watched it years ago, this is from a football fans point of view not just LFC fan's pov.

Players and fans from other leagues know that the Premiership is on top.

Years ago it was La Liga,Seria A and the Bundesliga that were mostly watched but 2/3 of those have dropped and are not really interesting.

The Bundesliga was something you wouldn't want to miss on the weekends a couple years ago, now I could fall asleep watching some of the games.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:37 am

Good comparison there AB and As I don't watch the other Leagues i'll take your word for it.  :)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 05, 2005 2:39 am

However when it costs on average 4 times as much to watch comparitive games in premiership than  the bundeleigh then that can't be right surely ??? the prem FOUR times better than the Bundersleigh ? ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion