Games that cost us.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:23 pm

Owzat wrote:Boro, Newcastle, blueshite and Bolton are no easy games away but we need to win games like that to compete for the title. I have been looking at the home and away points for Champions compared to Liverpool in the Premiership and I think we are on average FOUR wins behind the Champions and that's before 90 points became the standard minimum for winning the title (might be less this season)

That's exactly my point.  No, it's not easy to go to the Reebok or to Goodison and get three points but it still needs to be done each and every season if we want to seriously challenge for the title.  Look at the likes of Chelsea and the Mancs--sure, they'll have the odd slip up on their travels (both got battered away to Boro last season, for instance) but more often than not they'll do the business at these places in addition to being nigh on unstoppable at home.  We are really close to matching that kind of home form but are no where near good enough on the road.

And, you're right, goals are the problem away from Anfield.  Notice how teams like Man City are starting to park the bus against us, even at their own ground?  More and more, our away games have the feel of home games in that the onus is on us to break the opposition down and turn a draw into 3 points.  We don't have the kind of goal-scoring quality at the moment to do that consistently on our travels and that's why we're still a level below the Mancs and Chelsea.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:30 pm

I think most teams have decided that because we arnt exactly prolific up front they can shut up shop against us and snatch a goal on the break. Most of the time (especially at home) we do manage to grab the first goal, they have to come out and we then go on to win comfortably. Away we struggle to find the goal, start to leave gaps as we push forward in desperation and then we conceed or just fail to score at all.

Whereas everyone has the idea that if you just sit back against the Mancs they will hammer you, they know against us they have a better chance by trying to close the game down and shut up shop.

If you look at the attacking flair (creative) players the Mancs have Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney and compare them to our flair players Gerrard, Pennant, Garcia it becomes easier to see why we have more problems breaking teams down.
account deleted by request

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:07 pm

Pablo Aimar. I'm f*cking telling yer.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion