THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL - AC MILAN VS LIVERPOOL

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby soccerfreek421 » Thu May 03, 2007 3:33 am

should be one of the kost exciting matches in champions league history!  i love going to school and telling all my friends who doubted the mighty red that they were again wrong, and then to go back and see the pain on their faces when the mancs lose, priceless.  now, let's make it six!

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very
disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more
important than that." Bill Shankly
soccerfreek421
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Olympiakos_liverpool » Thu May 03, 2007 8:04 am

the fans of the most glorious greek team intend to unite their voices with these of the greatest british team ever.liverpool fc olympiakos fans salute you and express their respect.the kop is magnificent and has a lot in common with gate 7.please check that link.hope u like it:) :) :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N7n1O7SR7o
Olympiakos_liverpool

Postby stmichael » Thu May 03, 2007 11:24 am

i'm really cxonfident about the game. as far as i'm concerned, we're a far better team than two years ago and milan are considerably weaker. ok they played well last night but manure were tactically naive.

bring it on. it doesn't get much bigger than this!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby chiarired » Thu May 03, 2007 11:43 am

forza liverpool

in 2005 i 'm registred here and i I have carried you fortune I still pray to you fight however you must stop Kakà and then they are one normal square this year   we  struck in championship 2 times we:p
chiarired

Postby stmichael » Thu May 03, 2007 12:13 pm

AC Milan's strength is their central midfield, and the ability of Kaka to drift into the gap between midfield and defence, so he can run at the defence play killer passes through to the forwards or score himself. He ripped Man U a new :censored: last night and he ripped us one in the first half in Istanbul.

The thing that makes it interesting is that Milan don't play with any conventional width in midfield at all. In fact last night they had 5 central midfielders on the pitch Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Ambrosini, and Kaka.
We could detail the Chief to take care of Kaka, but if we play 4 in midfield that would leave our other central midfield out gunned and easily by-passed.

Because of Milan's shape the full backs are largely irrelevant - we changed teh game in Istanbul by going to 3 at the back and bringing on Didi as an extra midfielder. So what would be our best formation against Milan? I think we have to play at least 3 central midfielders, and reckon we'll probably go 4-5-1 with Gerrard as the foremost central midfielder behind Kuyt.

If we'd played it more often though I think the best formation would be 3 at the back - Agger, Carra and Finnan with Pennant and Riise flanking Xabi, Gerrard and the Chief, Kuyt up front with Crouch.

What would you do? What will Rafa do?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby duk » Thu May 03, 2007 12:20 pm

us in red them in white?
duk

Postby Redbilly1960 » Thu May 03, 2007 12:24 pm

One half of the office is like a doctors waiting room this morning, I work in Haydock which is halfway between Gods country and mancland so the office is 50/50 scousers and mancs oh and the one welsh guy who has a season ticket at old nafford but we dont call him manc just wanc.
They are oh so very quiet this morning after giving it large yesterday how they would give up a good spanking in Athens.

After 45 mins I started to feel sorry for poor dwayne and the rest of the scum. Then I get a text from the wanc "how lucky are milan we is bein robbed"
Then all sorrow for the sad B@STARD's disappeared and I had great joy of coming into the office and just pointing at them and laughing.
WE ARE LIVERPOOL
THEY ARE MANCHESTER THEY SO ENVY US
and that is why I love days like today when you can just point and laugh at them, Its not all about the football its about the city,the people,the history
Whatever happends in Athens they will always envy us.
"I was only in the game for the love of football-and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool"
                                                                Bill Shankly
Justice for the 96
Redbilly1960

Postby redtrader74 » Thu May 03, 2007 12:33 pm

stmichael wrote:AC Milan's strength is their central midfield, and the ability of Kaka to drift into the gap between midfield and defence, so he can run at the defence play killer passes through to the forwards or score himself. He ripped Man U a new :censored: last night and he ripped us one in the first half in Istanbul.

The thing that makes it interesting is that Milan don't play with any conventional width in midfield at all. In fact last night they had 5 central midfielders on the pitch Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf, Ambrosini, and Kaka.
We could detail the Chief to take care of Kaka, but if we play 4 in midfield that would leave our other central midfield out gunned and easily by-passed.

Because of Milan's shape the full backs are largely irrelevant - we changed teh game in Istanbul by going to 3 at the back and bringing on Didi as an extra midfielder. So what would be our best formation against Milan? I think we have to play at least 3 central midfielders, and reckon we'll probably go 4-5-1 with Gerrard as the foremost central midfielder behind Kuyt.

If we'd played it more often though I think the best formation would be 3 at the back - Agger, Carra and Finnan with Pennant and Riise flanking Xabi, Gerrard and the Chief, Kuyt up front with Crouch.

What would you do? What will Rafa do?

Milans fullbacks irrelavent? what did you watch last night? when they bothered to play, ie the first half when the game was won, they pushed on into midfield easily and joined in every attack, largely due to Giggs and makeup face not tracking back, that then allowed their midfield to push forward and score the goals.

Granted we are far more competitive and defensive in midfield, and should control the middle. Man u played only one up front, shrek , a mistake imho, it allowed him to be easily marked out of game, and the defence to push up into middle. I

you are right there wasn't width from the middle, because it came from the fullbacks.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Thu May 03, 2007 12:46 pm

Well, if Football365 is anything to go by we are firm underdogs for the final again--which will suit us just fine.  Milan's pasting of United has people implying that they are irresistable and that we will have little in our locker to deal with them.  Plus, there seems to be a decided anti-Liverpool whinge making the rounds given how "ugly" and "cautious" we were on Tuesday.  Feck em all, I say.  Let em think we're out of our depth again.  I back Rafa to get the tactics right from the start this time round and on our lads to rattle their cages again! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Judge » Thu May 03, 2007 12:48 pm

i reckon the game will be much tighter, and perhaps a single goal will decide it in normal time
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonimoni » Thu May 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Two Tickets for Athens

i am from Skopje Macedonia having two tickets to Athens. i can't travel to Greece (don't have entrance visa - :censored:en Greeks); so i must sell them.

Interested ?
t.gajdoski@gmail.com
Toni
tonimoni

Postby Lucky » Thu May 03, 2007 2:05 pm

From Yahoo! Sports

AC Milan gets another shot at Liverpool in Champions League final

By CHRIS LEHOURITES, AP Sports Writer
May 3, 2007
LONDON (AP) -- AC Milan will get another chance to beat Liverpool in the Champions League final.

Two years after their epic at Istanbul, in which Liverpool rallied from three goals down to win on penalty kicks, they'll face each other again in the May 23 finale at Olympic Stadium in Athens.

Milan, a six-time European Cup champion, set up the repeat final on Wednesday by beating Manchester United 3-0 and 5-3 on aggregate. The Italian team will be playing in the Champions League final for the third time in five years.

Five-time champion Liverpool advanced on Tuesday, ousting Chelsea 4-1 on penalties after a 1-0 win put the teams level at 1-1 on aggregate.

"When Liverpool won, a few players were already thinking about revenge for the 2005 final," Milan vice president Adriano Galliani said. "The Istanbul wound is still fresh in our hearts."
In the 2005 final, Milan led Liverpool 3-0 at halftime. But the English team scored three times in the second half and eventually won 3-2 on penalties.

"People claim we are not a great side, but we are doing something special," Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher said. "It is an unbelievable achievement to get to two European Cup finals in three years."

Added Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti: "It's certainly special. The Reds have less quality than Manchester United, but they're more physical."

Milan's win kept the final from being an all-English game, and kept Man United from repeating its 1999 triple crown when it won the Premier League, the FA Cup and the Champions League.

Until Tuesday, Chelsea had been hoping to win four trophies. The Blues have already won the League Cup; will face Man United in the FA Cup final on May 19; and trail United by five points in the English league with three games to go.

Neither Liverpool nor Milan is playing for much more than another European Cup title.

Milan, which started the season with an eight-point penalty for its role in the Italian match-fixing scandal, is in third place in Serie A and has already been eliminated from the country's cup competition. Liverpool is in third place in the English league and already assured of playing in the Champions League next year.

Dirk Kuyt, who scored the deciding penalty kick against Chelsea and had a goal called off for being offside, said he came to Liverpool to win trophies.

"This is one of the biggest and I'm very pleased to have this happen in my first year here. Now we just have to win it. " Kuyt said.
Liverpool got its lone goal from Daniel Agger on Tuesday, while Pepe Reina saved penalties from Arjen Robben and Geremi in the shootout.

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett Jr., an American businessman, has already said he will be making the trip to Greece.

"You bet I will be in Athens. I have seen some marvelous games already in Europe and that will be another," Gillett said. "I have worked in the States for many years, but football in Europe is like any other sport I have seen, but on steroids."

Liverpool, the most successful team in English soccer with a record 18 league titles, will be playing in the final for the seventh time. Milan will be making its 11th appearance.

"We got through and we do not want to go all the way to the final and lose," Liverpool midfielder Boudewijn Zenden said.

On Wednesday, Kaka, Clarence Seedorf and Alberto Gilardino each scored for Milan
"We've got a great team spirit - It doesn't matter how many goals we go down, we'll keep fighting till the end." - Steven Gerrard
Lucky

Postby stmichael » Thu May 03, 2007 2:19 pm

As much as I've been singing his praises recently, I'd be really worried that Pennant could go missing in a game this big. I'd play:

--------------Reina---------------

Finnan----Carra----Agger----Arbeloa

Gerrard----Alonso----Masch----Riise

----------Crouch-----Kuyt---------

Subs: Dudek, Hyypia, Momo, Kewell (if fit, otherwise Gonzalez), Pennant, Bellamy, Fowler.

More than worrying about how to counter their formation and deal with individual players, the most crucial thing will be to harry them for the entire game and not give them a second on the ball. If all our players run their nuts off all game and work as hard at closing them down as they did against Barca at Anfield, then we will win. Their ageing players will tire and simply won't be able to live with us, and Kaka and Gattuso won't be able to carry them on their own.

We'll have plenty of chance to rest the players and get them tuned up for one last almighty physical effort - two games where we can put out a mostly second-string side, and a break of 10 days between the last league game and the final.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby EddieC » Thu May 03, 2007 2:25 pm

Something that occured to me, and could be an advantage, is the fact that we've already secured CL status for next season & Milan haven't.

I know the scouting will have been going on for weeks, but the real stuff will start now that we know who we're playing. Our scouts will be able to go & watch a full strength Milan team, pretty similar to the one we'll play in the final. Their scouts will probably just be watching our reserves.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bring back The Tinkerman » Thu May 03, 2007 2:33 pm

What a load of cheating, diving scumbags you really are.  I hate liverpool fc and all that it stands for.  You'll never walk alone - yeah right.  WASTERS.  How do you keep churning out those European results when you can't string a couple of wins together in the premiership.  Strange
Bring back The Tinkerman

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion