Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Milan2Liverpool1 » Thu May 24, 2007 3:48 pm

:buttrock
Milan2Liverpool1

Postby Milan2Liverpool1 » Thu May 24, 2007 3:49 pm

:buttrock
Milan2Liverpool1

Postby Naomi » Thu May 24, 2007 4:32 pm

Totally gutted, we were the better team on the night everyone played their part well (except Zenden IMO), we just need a prolific goalscorer.

Post mortem over, got to start looking ahead for next season, the only way is up now and no doubt we will be back in the final again this time next year.
You can buy all the quality you like, but without desire, passion and the insatiable will to win, it’s nothing.
Naomi

Postby mathewharding_faithful » Thu May 24, 2007 5:08 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
mathewharding_faithful wrote:im a chelsea fan and i must say you fully deserved to win that game, perhaps you could say that milan had a game plan to play like that against you, alothugh i'm sure they didn't expect how many chances you had created, nor how little chances they had created. the difference was kaka, he did NEARLLY nothing all night as mascherano did a great marking job on him.. but he got the foul for the first goal and assited the second, did look dangerous when he was ever on the ball. but once again liverpool fully deserved to win, and im not trying to stir anything up with my next comments as i believe you may concede this, but with istanbul you got lucky, in the fa cup you got lucky.. isn't it ironic that the time you deserved to win a final in the last few years.. you didn't? maybe its balanced itself out?

overall i did want liverpool to win as they are an english side, i would have liked to have lost to the team that won the trophy also. unlucky the ref was a bit of a :censored: aswel, maybe next year when you have bought more players and will be competing on more fronts for possibly more trophies..
good luck.

Lucky in Istanbul?

Lucky is not the right word, players have to take it upon themselves to make things happen. Things dropped for us but above all else, we wanted it more than Milan, we never gave in.

Lucky in the FA cup?

It's not solely luck, it's character, belief, quality and one of the best Midfield players in the world.

Doesn't everyone need a bit of luck to win things anyway?

i don't understand why you had to make a comment like that though..

i was just praising you're squad on how well you have played, how the ref was againbst you.. yet that isn't good enough.

in istanbul you got lucky throughout most of the tournament not just the final lets be honest here.
i mean the second goal 10 seconds earlier was offside, the ref never saw the lineman raise his flag, the third was a dive and i guess you could call it luck that the pen even got saved and then he stuck it away.. also those were 6 crazy minutes.. but saying that iverpool never gave in.. but you had alot go your way that season.

the fa cup west ham should have won then aswel it was like watching milan vs pool last night in my opinion for most of it. but you being milan and west ham being liverpool.
you win another trophy like alot of past trpohies on penalty shoot outs.

i didn't want to stir anything i was just saying like chelsea when they get lucky last minutes of games and win or a lampard deflected goal we then lost to a goal that never was to you.. it balances itself up. last night you had NO luck, it had all run out finally.

how can you not concede this.
anywya once again good luck with next season.
mathewharding_faithful

Postby Chrissy » Thu May 24, 2007 5:13 pm

peewee wrote:number two is rafa, yes folks rafa is not the tactical genius you all think he is, yes he is good but he is far from great. lets take last night for example, its obvious we need to change in order to get something, he brings kewell on for zenden (who shouldnt have even been on the pitch to start with), then he waits until 12 minutes from the end to add another striker, wtf is he thinking? rafa that tops this substituting masterstroke by bringing on arbeloa  ???   we needed to score an he brings on arbeloa rather that bellamy to run at their forwards hopefully causing panic.

I think the reason he brough Arbeloa on was because Finnan looked tired and someone needed to overlap pennant in order to get the crosses in for Crouch - Pennant didnt seem capable of doing so. I thought this was a good substitution, it was a fresh pair of legs, i saw him burst forward a couple of times, and no it didnt pay off, but give Rafa credit where credits due, out team was on top most of the night and we have been and the finals of 3 trophies in as many years, we have won two of them.
I do hope, though, that average players such as Zenden do leave the club and make way for some good, quality players who are passionate about Liverpool and want to get us where we should be - top of the league and champions of europe.[B
Last edited by Chrissy on Thu May 24, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrissy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GunGod » Thu May 24, 2007 5:56 pm

Chrissy wrote:
peewee wrote:number two is rafa, yes folks rafa is not the tactical genius you all think he is, yes he is good but he is far from great. lets take last night for example, its obvious we need to change in order to get something, he brings kewell on for zenden (who shouldnt have even been on the pitch to start with), then he waits until 12 minutes from the end to add another striker, wtf is he thinking? rafa that tops this substituting masterstroke by bringing on arbeloa  ???   we needed to score an he brings on arbeloa rather that bellamy to run at their forwards hopefully causing panic.

I think the reason he brough Arbeloa on was because Finnan looked tired and someone needed to overlap pennant in order to get the crosses in for Crouch - Pennant didnt seem capable of doing so. I thought this was a good substitution, it was a fresh pair of legs, i saw him burst forward a couple of times, and no it didnt pay off, but give Rafa credit where credits due, out team was on top most of the night and we have been and the finals of 3 trophies in as many years, we have won two of them.
I do hope, though, that average players such as Zenden do leave the club and make way for some good, quality players who are passionate about Liverpool and want to get us where we should be - top of the league and champions of europe.[B

I understand where you are coming from but with the wee bit of time left should we still expect clear goal chances to be created by an overlapping right back?

A defender for a defender is definitely not encouraged in those cirumstances. Perhaps Rafa didn't bring on another attacker because he wanted to protect the team's shape and had an eye on extra time.

But alas, that was a time too far away from us.
GunGod

Postby LFC2007 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:16 pm

mathewharding_faithful wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:
mathewharding_faithful wrote:im a chelsea fan and i must say you fully deserved to win that game, perhaps you could say that milan had a game plan to play like that against you, alothugh i'm sure they didn't expect how many chances you had created, nor how little chances they had created. the difference was kaka, he did NEARLLY nothing all night as mascherano did a great marking job on him.. but he got the foul for the first goal and assited the second, did look dangerous when he was ever on the ball. but once again liverpool fully deserved to win, and im not trying to stir anything up with my next comments as i believe you may concede this, but with istanbul you got lucky, in the fa cup you got lucky.. isn't it ironic that the time you deserved to win a final in the last few years.. you didn't? maybe its balanced itself out?

overall i did want liverpool to win as they are an english side, i would have liked to have lost to the team that won the trophy also. unlucky the ref was a bit of a :censored: aswel, maybe next year when you have bought more players and will be competing on more fronts for possibly more trophies..
good luck.

Lucky in Istanbul?

Lucky is not the right word, players have to take it upon themselves to make things happen. Things dropped for us but above all else, we wanted it more than Milan, we never gave in.

Lucky in the FA cup?

It's not solely luck, it's character, belief, quality and one of the best Midfield players in the world.

Doesn't everyone need a bit of luck to win things anyway?

i don't understand why you had to make a comment like that though..

i was just praising you're squad on how well you have played, how the ref was againbst you.. yet that isn't good enough.

in istanbul you got lucky throughout most of the tournament not just the final lets be honest here.
i mean the second goal 10 seconds earlier was offside, the ref never saw the lineman raise his flag, the third was a dive and i guess you could call it luck that the pen even got saved and then he stuck it away.. also those were 6 crazy minutes.. but saying that iverpool never gave in.. but you had alot go your way that season.

the fa cup west ham should have won then aswel it was like watching milan vs pool last night in my opinion for most of it. but you being milan and west ham being liverpool.
you win another trophy like alot of past trpohies on penalty shoot outs.

i didn't want to stir anything i was just saying like chelsea when they get lucky last minutes of games and win or a lampard deflected goal we then lost to a goal that never was to you.. it balances itself up. last night you had NO luck, it had all run out finally.

how can you not concede this.
anywya once again good luck with next season.

We appreciate praise from fellow football fans.

I am just pointing out that rather than say we were lucky in 2005, we pulled off some stunning performances and comebacks through hardwork, grit and courage.

We had a lot go our way, just like Chelsea have in two successive seasons.

The third goal was not a dive, and as for the goal against Chelsea in 2005, had it not been given it was a stone wall penalty and a red card. So please stop there with the 'luck' premise.

Luck plays its part in every success, but we showed something that other teams don't have, spirit, courage and a never say-die attitude. This, spurred on by our fans, makes us a team that is unique.

As for the FA Cup, again we took it upon ourselves to make things happen, we showed the same never say die attitude. Gerrard's late equaliser was a strike from one of the best midfielders in Europe, on some days it wouldn't have gone in, on that day it did. Had he not had the balls to try it, it may never have happened, but 'luck'? I don't think so, a top top player is what he is and that's why he tried it.

Sometimes you need things to go your way, on that occasion they did, but only because we showed character and courage. I've seen many teams crumble into submission, but us, No chance.

As for last night, things didn't go our way, but in saying that we lacked cutting edge up front and coherent opportunities. Maybe Milan were a little 'lucky' for example in scoring the free kick, but they have quality players also, hence why the likes of Kaka and Inzaghi were always a threat.
LFC2007

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu May 24, 2007 6:18 pm

MASTER wrote:Why is no pointing out the facts here alonso made a STUPID challenge on KAKA and they scored a DEFLECTED goal by INZAGHI so stop blaming Kewell, Rafa or the ref, also Carra and Stevie G looked nervous.

However on a side note we need to get rid of Kuyt (Hard worker but useless CF) and Bellamy (Injury prone and bad attitude), so how about Inzaghi and Bent/Defoe.

You mean when Kaka dived?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu May 24, 2007 6:21 pm

GunGod wrote:
Chrissy wrote:

I understand where you are coming from but with the wee bit of time left should we still expect clear goal chances to be created by an overlapping right back?

A defender for a defender is definitely not encouraged in those cirumstances. Perhaps Rafa didn't bring on another attacker because he wanted to protect the team's shape and had an eye on extra time.

But alas, that was a time too far away from us.

Personally, I think Rafa put Arbeloa on so the team could go 3-4-3.

Riise pushed up, joining Pennant, Gerrard and Alonso in midfield, with Kewell, Crouch and Kuyt upfront.

It paid off, too, as we scored in the few minutes that system was employed.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu May 24, 2007 6:32 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
MASTER wrote:Why is no pointing out the facts here alonso made a STUPID challenge on KAKA and they scored a DEFLECTED goal by INZAGHI so stop blaming Kewell, Rafa or the ref, also Carra and Stevie G looked nervous.

However on a side note we need to get rid of Kuyt (Hard worker but useless CF) and Bellamy (Injury prone and bad attitude), so how about Inzaghi and Bent/Defoe.

You mean when Kaka dived?

I agree he dived Lando mate, but Xabi should know better than anyone what the attacking mids do in Spain and Italy when they approach the box, they seek that. And as much it wasn't a foul and he said no with the hand, he should have known better.

All in all, not a bad game of Xabi, not his best neither. At some moments he was very well, after the first minutes of the first half, when he was tackled by Gatusso quite harshly and Gatusso received the yellow, he was doing well.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:40 pm

MASTER wrote:However on a side note we need to get rid of Kuyt (Hard worker but useless CF) and Bellamy (Injury prone and bad attitude), so how about Inzaghi and Bent/Defoe.

How about Kuyt stays, Bellamy goes and Bent/Defoe/Inzaghi stay put.
LFC2007

Postby Kash_Mountain » Thu May 24, 2007 7:13 pm

Absolutely gutted. We played well in the 1st half then seem to lose in the 2nd.

Rafa and his management team and the players have plenty of time to think about why we didn't come back with the trophy. 

Lets not dwell on this to much now and concentrate on bringing those players that will make difference.  Just hope the new owners can deliver on their promise of funds.  We want the likes of Teves etc at this great club, NOW.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Kakakaka » Thu May 24, 2007 7:14 pm

All i have to say is...

[img]http://grandoldteam.com/images/priceless.jpg]http://grandoldteam.com/images/priceless.jpg[/img]
Kakakaka

Postby Soul » Thu May 24, 2007 7:35 pm

@mathewharding_faithful Liverpool have a soul, Chelsea do not

2005 was not luck, it was Liverpool soul. The reason we're all in love with this club.
Jan Mølby: 'Liverpool have a soul'
Soul

Postby morbo_2 » Thu May 24, 2007 10:31 pm

Another Milan fan here (not here to wind anyone up, don't worry).
I just wanted to say that your players played their hearts out, and really gave Milan a good fight. I sort of know what some of you guys are going through right now, having experienced similar emotions 2 years ago, and it's easy to be bitter, and openly criticize Rafa, the Milan players, the ref, UEFA, etc., but that's just downright unclassy. Football is a man's game, and real men act with class and dignity. Basically, my message is this, you guys should be proud of your players for their fine performance.
Having said all that, good job in making it to your 2nd finals in 3 years, and the best of luck in pursuing that 6th trophy (or the 19th, whichever comes first :)!)

Yours truly,
morbo_2

p.s : I hope my words did not offend anyone, as that was truly not my intention.
morbo_2

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion