Striking options - Realistic suggestions?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Sun May 10, 2009 10:08 am

Looks like this option isn't quite as unlikely as it first seemed. Tevez would be a nice fit for the way we play under Rafa.

I want to stay in England and play for one of United's rivals, says Tevez

By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 9:21 AM on 10th May 2009

* Comments (0)
    * Add to My Stories

Manchester United's frustrated Argentine forward Carlos Tevez has admitted that he expects to leave Old Trafford in the summer.

The on-loan 25-year-old feels he has not been treated as 'one of the family' at Old Trafford and claims the club have made no attempt to sign him long term - but insisted he wants to stay in England.

'I am very sad about this but I guess what I'm saying is goodbye,' Tevez said.

'I don't think I will be a Manchester United player next season. I have done everything I possibly can but they have never made me an offer or given me a contract so I have to leave. I think I will be at another club next season.
Walking away: Tevez looks set to leave Old Trafford

Walking away: Tevez looks set to leave Old Trafford

'I have not been treated as a member of the family. I do not feel wanted. I feel bad over my situation, I do, but it's very, very difficult to stay any longer.

'The fans treat me like family but United have not signed me so they do not respect me as a footballer.'
Fans' favourite: United supporters air their views

Fans' favourite: United supporters air their views

Tevez feels his form has been good this season but has been frustrated at not being considered a first-team regular by Sir Alex Ferguson.

'Things have changed dramatically this season,' he said. 'I was dropped - yet I didn't perform badly. Sir Alex never gave me an explanation but I never asked him for one because it is not in my character.

'I accepted it but maybe Sir Alex didn't feel the same way about me. Maybe he didn't have confidence in me any more.'

Tevez stressed he was settled in England and would have no qualms about joining one of United's big rivals.

He said: 'It's not true my family are unhappy in England. It's not true I want to leave England for Spain. My four-year-old daughter Florencia is learning English and my wife is very happy living in England.

'We want to stay. I want to play in England because it is the best League in the world and it suits my style.

'Any club I join, whether it be Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Liverpool or Everton, will be a rival of Manchester United. I would like to thank the United fans for their support. They will always have a special place in my heart.

'If I was a United fan I wouldn't want to see their player in any other shirt but I think they will accept I've done everything I can.'
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun May 10, 2009 10:29 am

Bearing in mind some on here want to play 4-4-2, we've already broken our record for most goals in a Premiership season and playing mainly one up front. If Kuyt continues improving, especially crossing, and Benayoun can keep scoring goals as well as Gerrard and Torres, maybe all we need is fit Torres and Gerrards.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Sun May 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Owzat wrote:Bearing in mind some on here want to play 4-4-2, we've already broken our record for most goals in a Premiership season and playing mainly one up front. If Kuyt continues improving, especially crossing, and Benayoun can keep scoring goals as well as Gerrard and Torres, maybe all we need is fit Torres and Gerrards.

Good point but you've forgotten that we still need a replacement for Torres in case of injury. That's the main reason we're not top of the table this season.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby tubby » Sun May 10, 2009 6:26 pm

SundanceKid wrote:
Owzat wrote:Bearing in mind some on here want to play 4-4-2, we've already broken our record for most goals in a Premiership season and playing mainly one up front. If Kuyt continues improving, especially crossing, and Benayoun can keep scoring goals as well as Gerrard and Torres, maybe all we need is fit Torres and Gerrards.

Good point but you've forgotten that we still need a replacement for Torres in case of injury. That's the main reason we're not top of the table this season.

Exactly. We know we have a strong first 11. It's the strengh in depth we are lacking in. I am certain if we bring in just a few more quality players this summer, we will nail the league next season.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sun May 10, 2009 7:01 pm

bavlondon wrote:
SundanceKid wrote:

Exactly. We know we have a strong first 11. It's the strengh in depth we are lacking in. I am certain if we bring in just a few more quality players this summer, we will nail the league next season.

I agree, we are close, very close. Bennayoun looks like a great understudy to Stevie, now we need one more top class striker, like Tevez, and a versatile midfielder/winger like Barry, plus we need to be bringing though some young starts like Insua, Derby etc.
We shold be able to get these targets over the summer, if money's tight then lets get Tevez on a loan, I'm sure he'd like to come to us.
heimdall

Postby tubby » Sun May 10, 2009 7:22 pm

Whats the need for a 1 year loan? You mean in case he didn't work out? Thing is if he came here and done well anyone else could step in and buy him next summer. I think we need to take a gamble and fork out whatever is needed. It's not like we don't know how he will play in England. Aside from that we need another RB too so Rafa may have to offload a bigtime player. :( I hope he isn't forced to do that but if money is tight and we wan't a top class striker then sacrifices may have to be made.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SundanceKid » Sun May 10, 2009 7:33 pm

But our biggest problem is finding a quality striker that's willing to sit on the bench until needed. And not only that, but one that isn't too expensive as 30 million pounds for a back up striker is WAY too much, especially when Rafa has been fighting for control over transfers for quite a while. We can't buy a striker that requires us to change our formation and style of football. A class younger striker would be great. Young enough not to have already developed a big ego haha
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby mkingdom » Sun May 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Sell Babel £8m, Lucas £5m, Dossena £4m, Voronin £3m and that is £20m.

We've shown we are close to winning the title, now for feck's sake, invest in another world class striker. 

Teves would still have more chance of playing than he does at Utd as he only has Torres in front of him, rather than Rooney, Ronaldo and Berbatov.

He is 25, approaching his peak, and proven in the EPL.

Him, a decent RB and maybe Barry would do me fine this summer.   :buttrock

Reina

Johnson/Arby   Carra  Agger  Aurelio/Insua

Kuyt   Alonso/Barry  Masch   Reira

Gerrard/Benny

Torres/Tevez
mkingdom

Postby tubby » Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 pm

From Shytana

Steven Gerrard has admitted he will return to pre-season training next season hoping to see one or two new faces.

Gerrard was inspirational as Liverpool ran out 3-0 victors at West Ham to keep the title race alive going into the penultimate games of the season.

To view highlights of Saturday's game, click here for details of how to subscribe to Setanta-i.

The Liverpool skipper was quoted this week as saying that The Reds are now too strong not to lift the title in the next few years, but that does not stop him wanting improvements.

Gerrard admits this is the strongest Liverpool side he has ever played in, but he encourages Rafa Benitez to freshen things up in the summer.

"We've shown this year we've made massive strides and there has been big progression," Gerrard said. "I think every squad, no matter how successful you are, still needs strengthening and changes.

"I don't think this team needs many changes because the players in the squad are very good. If we can get a couple in and get stronger, of course we want them.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon May 11, 2009 10:33 am

SundanceKid wrote:But our biggest problem is finding a quality striker that's willing to sit on the bench until needed. And not only that, but one that isn't too expensive as 30 million pounds for a back up striker is WAY too much, especially when Rafa has been fighting for control over transfers for quite a while. We can't buy a striker that requires us to change our formation and style of football. A class younger striker would be great. Young enough not to have already developed a big ego haha

Someone posted a Bosman thread on another forum, suggests Sturridge is available.

I've been saying about the quality striker on the bench for a long time, that's why a compromise of playing them LWF is a good angle to go for one at. Our bench is pants, the mancs can entice players because they can pay them big wages and they know they'll end up with medals most seasons and play a fair few games. Helps that they sign big egos who think they're good enough to walk into the team, if we sign "quality" we're bound to get an equally large ego like we did with Keane. Torres is unlikely to be left out when fit (enough), and our current formation is too effective to go risking it on the notion 4-4-2 will in some way lead somewhere.

Do you fit your players to a formation or the formation to your players? Since most of our players seem comfortable in our formation, I think switching it would be too risky. England try to fit in all the big names, they'd be better off finding the best formation and using only players that work in it - even if that means leaving out one or more of Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Cole etc. For me that is what Rafa needs to do, find a LWF and a RB who work in the current formation and not sign some 'superstar' and adjust to accommodate that one signing. If the signings really are quality then they should be able to play more than one formation or position.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon May 11, 2009 12:29 pm

The way I look at it, there's no point in dreaming about a fully fit Gerrard and Torres. The chances are with the Confederations Cup, the World Cup and the Euro's last season, Torres is going to be on the go for 3 years running which will lead to more inevitable injuries. We have to assume he will be injured for some of next season aswell and therefore we definitely need another striker.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Mon May 11, 2009 1:15 pm

I've posted the full article in the midfielders thread but Guilleme Ballague says that the general view on Negredo is that despite him making records this year in La Liga he does not posess the quality needed to play here. Hopefully that can be taken as a sign that Rafa is indeed only going to go for proven quality this summer. I hope that Pranijc rumors is BS too.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon May 11, 2009 1:40 pm

stmichael wrote:The way I look at it, there's no point in dreaming about a fully fit Gerrard and Torres. The chances are with the Confederations Cup, the World Cup and the Euro's last season, Torres is going to be on the go for 3 years running which will lead to more inevitable injuries. We have to assume he will be injured for some of next season aswell and therefore we definitely need another striker.

Any "quality" player will inevitably come with international commitments also.

I read some talk on another forum about that Bosnian striker Dzeko, I think he's the leading scorer in the Euros. I think he's pretty young, can't be bad if he's top scorer in the Euros in a far from easy group (Bosnia, Spain, Turkey, Belgium, Estonia & Armenia)

Edin Dzeko (Wolfsburg & Bosnia)

DOB : 17/03/86 (Age 23)

Zeljeznicar : 5 goals in 40 apps
Usti Nad Labem : 6 goals in 15 apps
Teplice : 17 goals in 43 apps
Wolfsburg : 29 goals in 58 apps

Bosnia : 12 goals in 17 apps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edin_Dzeko

Not the likeliest of countries to qualify regularly which is a slight plus, shouldn't cost the earth from somewhere like Wolfsburg and if Voronin doesn't move to Hertha (and we don't keep him), we could do part exchange.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:53 pm

Mate, last I looked, Wolfsburg were top of the Bundesliga. PLUS, they have money to burn - they're funded by the owner of one of the biggest software companies in the world, SAP.
So I doubt it'd be as straightforward as offering him a few bags of chips....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Owzat » Mon May 11, 2009 2:29 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Mate, last I looked, Wolfsburg were top of the Bundesliga. PLUS, they have money to burn - they're funded by the owner of one of the biggest software companies in the world, SAP.
So I doubt it'd be as straightforward as offering him a few bags of chips....

I didn't say he would be cheap, I said he shouldn't cost the earth. Plus he might want to play for a bigger club, or perhaps you're suggesting having "money to burn" makes Wolfsburg bigger than Liverpool..............? It's never quite as simple as "don't want to sell, don't need to sell. Bye"

Being top of the Bungleleague doesn't make them world beaters, christ Hoffenheim were top for quite some time and I think Hertha have been too. They are top on goal difference, one point ahead of third and two ahead of fourth. Wolfsburg have no major honours, I doubt we'd be the only team interested in Dzeko and I doubt he'll stay there much longer if he is any good - funded or not
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion