Striking options - Realistic suggestions?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Fri May 08, 2009 11:15 pm

He has always liked playing with 2 holding midfielders even at Valencia. He plays 4-4-2 somtimes, it's just not his perferred formation.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat May 09, 2009 2:03 am

Stories going around that we might be interested in Raul from Madrid... And Man City apparently ready to offer 35mill for him ?! ?! ?!

well i think hes past it and i think ManCity can do better with such money...

Also, Diego Milito's agent is in London apparently talking to 'several' clubs... we should be one of them if you ask me.. the guy is quality and would be a very good signing if the price is right...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:09 am

aCe' wrote:Stories going around that we might be interested in Raul from Madrid... And Man City apparently ready to offer 35mill for him ?! ?! ?!

Also, Diego Milito's agent is in London apparently talking to 'several' clubs... we should be one of them if you ask me.. the guy is quality and would be a very good signing if the price is right...

:laugh:
Fuc'king Raul..what does he want a stair lift and a free W*nk with a DLA car??

I think what you think is shi'te...not for the first time lad!
You talk total balls,always have,always will!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Sat May 09, 2009 2:17 am

raul to man city more likely a political move to fry bigger fish. 35 mil for a 30 plus yr old striker is crazy money.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat May 09, 2009 2:20 am

Number 9 wrote:
aCe' wrote:Stories going around that we might be interested in Raul from Madrid... And Man City apparently ready to offer 35mill for him ?! ?! ?!

feelings are mutual kiddo... another one who belongs in the general chat thread
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Sat May 09, 2009 4:55 am

JoeTerp wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:For example we've been linked with Negredo, but even he's said he wont move here to sit on the bench... link

- the other option is to go young... ie I like Sturridge of Man city. He seems like he's got something to him

It seems like Negredo would not want to come if we brought in another striker in addition to him. It seems like he is willing to be just under Torres, and like his quote about Real, he wouldn't want to be 5th choice, he didn't say he wouldn't go if he was going to be 3rd choice. And you can hardly blame Negredo for that type of attitude.

As for young strikers, we already have N'Gog, Nemeth, Pacheco, and Dalla Valle, don't think we need Sturridge too (although I think he is pretty decent, but doesn't have the best of injury records)

Agree with what you say but I do think that Sturridge is a little bit different to the other strikers we have and could provide something different. Much more of a target man type than the guys we have.
DanAn

Postby RobinHood6969 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:05 am

If we get negredo and play 4-1-3-2 we can rock.. but we need two fast bombing full backs for that...inusa is defo one of them but right back... hmmm... but rafa anyways would stick with his favourite 4-2-3-1
RobinHood6969

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat May 09, 2009 5:11 am

aCe' wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

feelings are mutual kiddo... another one who belongs in the general chat thread

That's right - everyone who points out the truth that you are a plonker should only post in "general chat".

ATTENTION LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...

May we direct you to ;

Ace's Newkit site

Spoon.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:28 am

i must have missed the part where ace says he thinks raul would be a good signing leading to the abuse he is given in the belief that he says raul would be a good signing, the words 'I think he is past it' pretty much show that ace does not think he is a viable option.

I find it helps to read the post properly, ace says raul is past it, barry says ace is talking sh!te so we can assume from this that barry thinks raul would be a good signing
112-1077774096

Postby aCe' » Sat May 09, 2009 6:48 am

peewee wrote:i must have missed the part where ace says he thinks raul would be a good signing leading to the abuse he is given in the belief that he says raul would be a good signing, the words 'I think he is past it' pretty much show that ace does not think he is a viable option.

I find it helps to read the post properly, ace says raul is past it, barry says ace is talking sh!te so we can assume from this that barry thinks raul would be a good signing

naa its got nothing to do with Raul... some just choose to reply to posters rather than posts... pretty sad but you'd think you'd know that by now...

Bonnie and Clyde here need no excuses to make themselves look stupid..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Sat May 09, 2009 8:13 am

Why do you feel the need to post rumors from tribalfootball.com ?
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby Festy » Sat May 09, 2009 8:17 am

bunglemark2 wrote:FFS, why do we HAVE to play with only ONE up front ? Is it only me who thinks that since Rafa had an epiphany and let the lads loose to go and score bleedin' goals, that our fortunes have turned around ? (bar the CL exit and the 4-4 at home to Arsenal)
What IF....and it's a BIG 'IF'....Rafa played two hungry strikers up front, and reverted to one when Torres, or the other, was injured ?

If you look at every top club in the world, you will find that hardly anyone plays 2 up front. There's always someone playing in the hole behind a world class striker. Rafa (and I too) don't like 4-4-2 because you always need a strong 5 men midfield if you want to compete with the best. I have no problems in not playing 4-4-2.
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby Owzat » Sat May 09, 2009 9:31 am

Festy wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:FFS, why do we HAVE to play with only ONE up front ? Is it only me who thinks that since Rafa had an epiphany and let the lads loose to go and score bleedin' goals, that our fortunes have turned around ? (bar the CL exit and the 4-4 at home to Arsenal)
What IF....and it's a BIG 'IF'....Rafa played two hungry strikers up front, and reverted to one when Torres, or the other, was injured ?

If you look at every top club in the world, you will find that hardly anyone plays 2 up front. There's always someone playing in the hole behind a world class striker. Rafa (and I too) don't like 4-4-2 because you always need a strong 5 men midfield if you want to compete with the best. I have no problems in not playing 4-4-2.

Why "only ONE up front?" - simples -

- Rafa has "let the lads loose to go and score bleedin' goals" and they have, so who says two up front will result in more goals with mostly the same players?!?

- If we play 4-4-2 then how will you fit Gerrard, Alonso AND Mascherano in the middle of the park?

- Torres, Gerrard and Kuyt look at their best playing the current system, we may find that their effectiveness is reduced if we try 4-4-2. After the Barnsley FA Cup exit, Torrres scored 15 goals in 17 games at a time when we were starting to employ the new system.

- "two hungry strikers" may well get in each other's way, I for one am not keen to play a system that might reduce Torres' goalscoring tally

but the main reason would be that one up front has served us well for a season and a half in which we have lost nine games (out of 81 = 1 in 9)

Here's an interesting pattern I noticed while looking at Kuyt's scoring in his three seasons so far

06/07 : 48 apps, 14 goals
07/08 : 48 apps, 11 goals
08/09 : 48 apps, 14 goals

He's scored as many goals in the same number of games playing predominantly RM as he did when playing as a striker. Torres hasn't scored as many as last season, but he's been injured. Gerrard has also had a blinding season and come to the fore playing behind Torres (excuse the pun)

GERRARD UNDER RAFA

04/05 : 43 apps, 10 goals
04/05 : 53 apps, 23 goals
06/07 : 51 apps, 11 goals
07/08 : 52 apps, 21 goals
08/09 : 41 apps, 21 goals

Might not be Gerrard's most goals in a season, but 0.512 goals per appearance is more than any other season for him (53 apps, 23 goals = 0.434 goals/app)

Why jeopardise that for the THEORY that two strikers equals more goals? I'd rather find a forward/attacker who can play LWF than play 4-4-2, they might not be as prolific as Torres, but if they're "quality" then I'm sure most on here would expect that LWF to score as many as Kuyt in the equivalent role on the opposite flank.

And if "only ONE up front" isn't attacking, how come we're just TWO goals short of equalling our best ever Premiership tally of goals? Perhaps it is more about attitude, mentality with a bit of luck than one up front vs two up front.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT. Our formation is not a problem, defending set-pieces, defending in general and substitutions are things that could be worked on to improve the team. That is all assuming Rafa has worked out that you need to attack more and win more, it may simply be he thinks it is time to push on because of the situation and his tactics have been "spot on" to get us in a position to do so (a bit like a cricket team reaching the last 10 overs of a one day match)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat May 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Festy wrote:

Why do you feel the need to post rumors from tribalfootball.com ?

theyr at the bbc website... dont even know what tribal football is !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby allred » Sat May 09, 2009 4:22 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
allred wrote:
Festy wrote:We need a Yossi type of player (with increased qualities of course) who can fit in any of the 3 positions behind striker in our 4-2-3-1 system. That's where we should spend heavily IMO.

David silva could do that

so can Yossi, who we already have.

yes but we could use more players who can play in those positions and provide creativity.
allred

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion