Striking legend - We dont have one

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:51 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Get to some reserve/u18, etc matches then. There the only places you'll see the next acadamy hotshot.

bit difficult mate as im 7000 miles away    :D
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:06 am

Thats a sterlingly good point Peewee. You could squeeze yourself into a "Parcel Force Direct" box and mail yourself to the match!!! :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:13 am

im looking for the player that comes through the ranks at the reds and turns into a superstar.

Ramon Calliste? Watch this space.... :D
Last edited by A.B. on Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:23 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Thats a sterlingly good point Peewee. You could squeeze yourself into a "Parcel Force Direct" box and mail yourself to the match!!! :D

ive squeezed myself into quite a few box's out here mate    :p
112-1077774096

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:54 am

A.B. wrote:
im looking for the player that comes through the ranks at the reds and turns into a superstar.

Ramon Calliste? Watch this space.... :D

eeeerrrrrrmmmm...didnt I just say that? No ?
:D
76-1115222408

Postby SammyS » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:23 am

I agree that Totti would be a great buy, but it's very unlikely that we could get him for under even 15 million.
SammyS

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:19 pm

i didnt really want to turn this into another who should we buy thread were we just name great players.

i want to know who should we buy as a youngster or who is coming through the system. I want our legend, not someone elses. I want another Rush or Fowler or Dalglish
112-1077774096

Postby Garymac » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:42 pm

PeeWee you have got admit, when it comes to strikers, we have been as lucky as anyone with the quality that has come through are youth system, its just it cant go on forever and you are always gonna hit a patch were the youngsters are not going to be stars. And that is happening now, Calliste looks a decent player but far from a Star.

Although if Rooney had half a brain cell, he would have supported Liverpool as a kid and he would be playing for us right now the soft fat t!t!!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:46 pm

Garymac wrote:PeeWee you have got admit, when it comes to strikers, we have been as lucky as anyone with the quality that has come through are youth system, its just it cant go on forever and you are always gonna hit a patch were the youngsters are not going to be stars. And that is happening now, Calliste looks a decent player but far from a Star.

Although if Rooney had half a brain cell, he would have supported Liverpool as a kid and he would be playing for us right now the soft fat t!t!!

i think thats the point im making about us always having that star, but would you say it was down to luck or just good management and talent spotting
112-1077774096

Postby wee_boi888 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:50 pm

It must be a mix of everything you've suggested Peewee. There are natural players of course and with the right management, they should be able to pick them out and mould them into the player they see fit.

However luck always plays its part as the star usually becomes the legend due to wanting to play for the club. It's something like Robbie's love the club that I think creates a superstar or 'legend' as you put it.

Of course they could grow to love the club and not necesarily be a follower since they were a kid, but its hard to find the commitment from the player to become the legend if they just want $$$.
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:24 pm

In response to Peewee's original thread-starting post:

Crouch has been at the club for only four months, and Morientes 8 months, whilst Cisse is the longest serving at 16 months. However Nando has been injured for a lot of the time and Cisse suffered his leg break that kept him out for six months.

What I am getting at here is that none of these players have been at the club long enough to make themselves a legend.

Let me explain:

Roger Hunt was signed in 1958 by Liverpool and made his frist start as a stand in for the injured Billy Liddell (another legend sadly forgotten in Peewee's original post). Officialy signed on 29th July that year, Hunt never really followed the "Boot Room" way that was to become the benchmark for success at Anfield, and played only 5 reserve games before his first team debut. His first goal however never came until September 1959, some ten months after signing for the club. For Hunt, it wasnt until a wee scotsman, Ian St John, arrived from Motherwell in the promotion season of 61-62 that he started to fire on all cylinders. Many accolades in the game, including 245 league goals for LFC and a World Cup have proppelled Sir Roger Hunt (as the Kop called him for 25 years before the Queen finally caught on in 2000) to legend status. However, in his first few seasons Sir Roger was not considered a legend when comparred to his predeccesor Billy Liddell. 487 starts and 286 goals

Kevin Keegan signed for us in May 1971 from lower league Scunthorpe and was an instant hit. Scoring on his debut at Anfield against Nottingham Forest after just 12 minutes. He amazingly started every game he participated in for the reds, and was only sustituted 6 times before he left for Hamburg and the Bundesliga. He was voted Footballer of the Year in the 75-76 season, and shocked many reds by giving a years notice soon after. He gave the Kop the perfect farewell gift by helping the Reds to their first ( we've won it five tiiiimmess ) European Cup win in '77. Legend status was acheived in securing the first "big ears" and cemented when he was voted European Footballer of the Year twice on the bounce whilst at Hamburg. The point being, had Keegan left and not secured the big one, would he be considered a legend still?323 starts and 100 goals

King Kenny is a totally different kettle of fish. He was an undoubted legend before we signed him. When Keegan left for Hamburg, the job of the heirachy at Liverpool was to replace the irreplaceable, and boy did they deliver. They paid a recored fee to secure the services of the Celtic legend who notched 167 goals for Celtic in 321 games. The winning goal as we retained the Europen Cup at Wembley was the start of a long list of accolades of not only my favourite player of all time, but the man that both Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley thought of as the best player to have ever pulled on the famous red jersey. Kenny was, is and always will be a legend, and as such is totally incomparable.497 starts and 172 goals

Ian Rush, (as any other Scouse LFC fan who grew up at the same time as me will confess) was the man you "where" when you played football in the park/street/backgarden/bedroom/anywhere. I knew who he was cus he scored goals, and bucket loads of them. However few of us would know that he came close to leaving Liverpool early in his carear when it didn't seem to work out early on. Luckily for me you and LFC, after a goalless start, he clicked with King Kenny and as they say the rest is history. He was voted the most promising player of the year in 1982/83 and followed that by being voted FWA's and PFA's player of the year and won Europe's Golden Shoe for scoring 47 goals, ( we can dream) more than anybody else on the continent. Rush said his goodbyes before the start of the 1986/87 season, in what some felt was a deal built on apologies about Hysel, and gave his all in a farewell season that produced 40 goals. Rushie only spent one season with Juventus, but returned a better all-round player. Rush reproduced his best form again in 1989/90, adding 26 goals to his already impressive tally and his 5th championship title. 26 goals followed in Dalglish's final season. Souness made him captain in the 1993/94 season and he became mentor to Robbie Fowler (more to follow later)  Rush played his farewell match in the 1996 FA cup final, but had earlier that season on 6th of January scored his 42nd goal in the FA cup, breaking one more record. Point being that Rush was not the instant success, in fact he misfired so badly he almost never became the legend.630 starts and 346 goals

Robbie Fowler (or GOD as I still refer to him) made his debut in September 1993 after earning rave reviews and exciting many Reds in the reserves the season before. The terribly nicknamed "Toxteth Terror" (by the press who later where hell bent on destroying him) scored five goals in only his fourth first team start, and legend status for Robbie was highlighted by Dockers T-Shirts, "line sniffing" in front of the travelling blue noses at Anfield and 3 minute hat tricks. A local lad, made good, a beacon of hope to all aspiring young reds on council estates kicking a ball round. He was local icon and champion of the working class scouser whose goalscoring talent ensured legendary status.289 starts and 171 goals

Michael Owen, who sadly turned down the chance to cement his legendary status at the club only four months ago by shunning the team he lied to for two years about loving and staying with, (sorry rant over), is a goalscoring legend at the club cus of the goals he scored. Not more than, not better than, but different. In time, when he sees the error of his ways and comes back, or when time heals those wounds, (whichever is the sooner), 8 hat tricks, 100 goals in only 185 games and the time we robbed the FA Cup from Arsenal will add to his legend. 267 starts and 158 goals

"Thanks for the fu.cking history lesson" I hear you say, but bear with me and I shall conclude.

Had Rush not been given the chance to prove his worth, had Sir Roger not formed the parnership with St John, had Keegan not managed to sign off with the big one and had they all not had the time, and a fair crack of the whip to score the goals that made them legends, we may not be having this conversation.

Cisse has proven he can do it at a lower level, (ligue 1) as Keegan did at Scunthorpe.

Morientes has shown the credentials of a legend (at Real) in the same way Kenny did before him.

Crouch has not had the greatest start to his carear in the same way that Rushie didnt.

Dont get me wrong, (and before you gobsh.ites who exist only to slate people), for every Michael Owen read Neil Mellor (to date at least) for every Ian Rush read Titi Camara, and for every Kevin KEegan read Sean Dundee. What I mean there is that not every player will make it. Also not I am not comparing any of our current players to past greats in terms of legend status, just in terms of carear paths.

25 starts (Cisse), 10 starts (Crouch) and 24 starts (Nando) is no time to be judging legend status.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:28 pm

well put together and very much appreciated the f.ucking history lesson pal   :D

great contribution!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JBG » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:31 pm

Going back to peewee's point, the closest "hope" we have of making our own legend in the last couple of seasons were Baros and Pongolle.

Baros had not played a whole lot of football before he came to Anfield and he made his name while at our club (although ironically not in a Liverpool shirt but a Czech shirt). Baros was a disapointment.

Pongolle is the other. Rick Parry reckoned signing him "saved us £20million). Pongolle was an incredible talent at under age. While it is still early in his career yet, he doesn't look like he'll be another Fowler or Owen.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:41 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:In response to Peewee's original thread-starting post:

Crouch has been at the club for only four months, and Morientes 8 months, whilst Cisse is the longest serving at 16 months. However Nando has been injured for a lot of the time and Cisse suffered his leg break that kept him out for six months.

What I am getting at here is that none of these players have been at the club long enough to make themselves a legend.

Let me explain:

Roger Hunt was signed in 1958 by Liverpool and made his frist start as a stand in for the injured Billy Liddell (another legend sadly forgotten in Peewee's original post). Officialy signed on 29th July that year, Hunt never really followed the "Boot Room" way that was to become the benchmark for success at Anfield, and played only 5 reserve games before his first team debut. His first goal however never came until September 1959, some ten months after signing for the club. For Hunt, it wasnt until a wee scotsman, Ian St John, arrived from Motherwell in the promotion season of 61-62 that he started to fire on all cylinders. Many accolades in the game, including 245 league goals for LFC and a World Cup have proppelled Sir Roger Hunt (as the Kop called him for 25 years before the Queen finally caught on in 2000) to legend status. However, in his first few seasons Sir Roger was not considered a legend when comparred to his predeccesor Billy Liddell. 487 starts and 286 goals

Kevin Keegan signed for us in May 1971 from lower league Scunthorpe and was an instant hit. Scoring on his debut at Anfield against Nottingham Forest after just 12 minutes. He amazingly started every game he participated in for the reds, and was only sustituted 6 times before he left for Hamburg and the Bundesliga. He was voted Footballer of the Year in the 75-76 season, and shocked many reds by giving a years notice soon after. He gave the Kop the perfect farewell gift by helping the Reds to their first ( we've won it five tiiiimmess ) European Cup win in '77. Legend status was acheived in securing the first "big ears" and cemented when he was voted European Footballer of the Year twice on the bounce whilst at Hamburg. The point being, had Keegan left and not secured the big one, would he be considered a legend still?323 starts and 100 goals

King Kenny is a totally different kettle of fish. He was an undoubted legend before we signed him. When Keegan left for Hamburg, the job of the heirachy at Liverpool was to replace the irreplaceable, and boy did they deliver. They paid a recored fee to secure the services of the Celtic legend who notched 167 goals for Celtic in 321 games. The winning goal as we retained the Europen Cup at Wembley was the start of a long list of accolades of not only my favourite player of all time, but the man that both Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley thought of as the best player to have ever pulled on the famous red jersey. Kenny was, is and always will be a legend, and as such is totally incomparable.497 starts and 172 goals

Ian Rush, (as any other Scouse LFC fan who grew up at the same time as me will confess) was the man you "where" when you played football in the park/street/backgarden/bedroom/anywhere. I knew who he was cus he scored goals, and bucket loads of them. However few of us would know that he came close to leaving Liverpool early in his carear when it didn't seem to work out early on. Luckily for me you and LFC, after a goalless start, he clicked with King Kenny and as they say the rest is history. He was voted the most promising player of the year in 1982/83 and followed that by being voted FWA's and PFA's player of the year and won Europe's Golden Shoe for scoring 47 goals, ( we can dream) more than anybody else on the continent. Rush said his goodbyes before the start of the 1986/87 season, in what some felt was a deal built on apologies about Hysel, and gave his all in a farewell season that produced 40 goals. Rushie only spent one season with Juventus, but returned a better all-round player. Rush reproduced his best form again in 1989/90, adding 26 goals to his already impressive tally and his 5th championship title. 26 goals followed in Dalglish's final season. Souness made him captain in the 1993/94 season and he became mentor to Robbie Fowler (more to follow later)  Rush played his farewell match in the 1996 FA cup final, but had earlier that season on 6th of January scored his 42nd goal in the FA cup, breaking one more record. Point being that Rush was not the instant success, in fact he misfired so badly he almost never became the legend.630 starts and 346 goals

Robbie Fowler (or GOD as I still refer to him) made his debut in September 1993 after earning rave reviews and exciting many Reds in the reserves the season before. The terribly nicknamed "Toxteth Terror" (by the press who later where hell bent on destroying him) scored five goals in only his fourth first team start, and legend status for Robbie was highlighted by Dockers T-Shirts, "line sniffing" in front of the travelling blue noses at Anfield and 3 minute hat tricks. A local lad, made good, a beacon of hope to all aspiring young reds on council estates kicking a ball round. He was local icon and champion of the working class scouser whose goalscoring talent ensured legendary status.289 starts and 171 goals

Michael Owen, who sadly turned down the chance to cement his legendary status at the club only four months ago by shunning the team he lied to for two years about loving and staying with, (sorry rant over), is a goalscoring legend at the club cus of the goals he scored. Not more than, not better than, but different. In time, when he sees the error of his ways and comes back, or when time heals those wounds, (whichever is the sooner), 8 hat tricks, 100 goals in only 185 games and the time we robbed the FA Cup from Arsenal will add to his legend. 267 starts and 158 goals

"Thanks for the fu.cking history lesson" I hear you say, but bear with me and I shall conclude.

Had Rush not been given the chance to prove his worth, had Sir Roger not formed the parnership with St John, had Keegan not managed to sign off with the big one and had they all not had the time, and a fair crack of the whip to score the goals that made them legends, we may not be having this conversation.

Cisse has proven he can do it at a lower level, (ligue 1) as Keegan did at Scunthorpe.

Morientes has shown the credentials of a legend (at Real) in the same way Kenny did before him.

Crouch has not had the greatest start to his carear in the same way that Rushie didnt.

Dont get me wrong, (and before you gobsh.ites who exist only to slate people), for every Michael Owen read Neil Mellor (to date at least) for every Ian Rush read Titi Camara, and for every Kevin KEegan read Sean Dundee. What I mean there is that not every player will make it. Also not I am not comparing any of our current players to past greats in terms of legend status, just in terms of carear paths.

25 starts (Cisse), 10 starts (Crouch) and 24 starts (Nando) is no time to be judging legend status.

Excellent post , well said/written.

By the way I thought you were one of those gobSh!tes that slates people.   :D
66-1112520797

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:18 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:In response to Peewee's original thread-starting post:

Let me explain:

Excellent post , well said/written.

By the way I thought you were one of those gobSh!tes that slates people.   :D

Yeah sometimes.

Just wanna disagree with JBG here a minute as well.

Morientes for me has the best chance of the players in the last few years to cement legend status.

He is proven, undoubtable, unparraleded (in our squad) quality and he can (ala Garry MAcca) prove to be the experinced hand that comes at the end of their carear and writes his name into our already well woven history.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion