Who do you want to see in january? - Realistic suggestions

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redman in wales » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:06 am

Igor Zidane wrote:RAFA WILL NOT GET ANY MONEY TO SPEND FROM PLAYER SALES

Funds-free January on the cards for Rafael Benitez

Tony Barrett

Rafael Benítez is unlikely to be given any of the proceeds from player sales during the January transfer window to reinvest in new signings this month once the arrival of Maxi Rodríguez is confirmed.

okay.

I don't understand how player exchange deals work on paper.. would would a swap deal be possible if we have no money to "spend" ? 

- for example if we did manage to do a player exchange ... eg babel for arda turan... and wages were equal or less - would we be able to do that??
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:26 pm

One new player or two at the most. Maybe on loan
Other than that Rafa has all the players he needs if he gets them to play properly. Thats his challenge until the end of the season.
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby redbeergoggles » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 pm

The latest  updates on Babel and Rodriguez from Saturdays Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ has reiterated his desire not to sell Ryan Babel during the transfer window – as Liverpool’s bid to land Maxi Rodriguez hit a slight stumbling block.

The Holland forward was the subject of £9m bid from Birmingham City this week that was hastily rebuffed by Benitez, who first stated his intention to keep Babel after the 1-1 FA Cup draw at Reading seven days ago.

Though he has found chances to shine limited during the current campaign, Benitez – whose side face a blank weekend after arctic conditions claimed tomorrow’s scheduled Anfield date with Tottenham – is not keen to part with Babel.

That’s why the manager will resist any further overtures for a player he brought to the club from Ajax in the summer of 2007.

“Always you have to listen to offers for players as that is part of the way football is going but the player wants to stay,” said Benitez.

“If Ryan plays to the level that we know he can, I will be very pleased. It’s very clear for us, we will train with the players every day and have them ready for the next game. You always have to think about what is best for the club.”

Benitez had hoped to be in a position to unveil Rodriguez yesterday but he is now being forced to be patient, as the Argentine wide man tries to thrash out a deal for money that he is owed by Atletico Madrid.

It should not be a fatal blow to the Reds’ ambitions of landing him but it is not an ideal situation for them to be in by any means.

“We are talking with Atletico,” said Benitez. “We have an agreement and we will see what happens but I cannot talk too much, as he is not our player.

“All I will say is that he is a player with experience of international football with Argentina and can score goals but, still, he is not our player. He has some problems with them and we have to wait.”

One piece of transfer business that has finally been wrapped up is Andrea Dossena’s move to Napoli, the Reds securing a £4.4m fee for a player who failed to get to grips with the hurly burly of the English game.

“It was a good opportunity for us and a good opportunity for him,” said Benitez. “He wanted to move to give himself a chance of playing in the World Cup.

“We tried to sign players with an offensive attitude last year like (Philipp) Degen and Dossena; to sign wingers can cost you £25m or £30m. To sign offensive full-backs is cheaper. The idea was to improve our attacking style with the full-backs pushing on.

“He had some good games but he could not always perform at the level we wanted. It was best for him and best for us for him to move on.

I hope this is just a glitch this episode with Maxi waiting for money due ,and will not prove to be a an impossible hurdle 
:(
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Fauxy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:14 pm

To be honest i think that's good news

A deal has been agreed with Maxi to come to us he just needs to sort things out with Athletico.

That pretty much says that Rafa has done his job in signing him and maxi has a contract lined up. Just a matter of waiting for Athletico to seal the deal with Maxi.  :)
Fauxy

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Tony Barrett

Rafael Benítez is unlikely to be given any of the proceeds from player sales during the January transfer window to reinvest in new signings this month once the arrival of Maxi Rodríguez is confirmed.

The Atlético Madrid and Argentina winger is expected to cost £1.5 million and join on an 18-month deal. Benítez is also looking for a loan recruit in defence after Glen Johnson, the right back, was ruled out for at least a month with a knee injury.

Four fringe members of the Liverpool squad could leave the club in the coming weeks: Andrea Dossena, Philipp Degen and Andriy Voronin have been earmarked for the exit door and Ryan Babel is the subject of serious interest from Birmingham City. The money recouped from their potential sales could total in excess of £15 million.

Napoli have agreed a £4.4 million fee for Dossena, the defender, who is set to complete the move back to his native Italy once personal terms have been agreed; Voronin, the forward, is on the brink of signing for Dynamo Moscow in a deal worth about £2 million; and Degen is the subject of interest from several clubs in Germany, with Stuttgart leading the race for the defender’s services.

Birmingham have offered £9 million for Babel but that bid is likely to be rebuffed because the Holland forward is keen to hold out for a move to the Continent. Galatasaray, who are coached by Frank Rijkaard, Babel’s countryman, are one of a number of clubs ready to enter the race for his services.

Although the Liverpool manager is working without a transfer war chest, club insiders insist that that policy has not been forced on him by Liverpool’s estimated £250 million debts and resultant interest payments, believed to be in the region of £30 million a year.

However, critics of George Gillett Jr and Tom Hicks, the co-owners, may dispute that assessment. And should Liverpool not make any significant investment in their playing squad it will serve only to reinforce Benítez’s recent assertion that the club’s priority has shifted from trophy gathering to debt reduction.

In August, Benítez broke even on incomings and outgoings in August and in the previous transfer window, last January, the sale of Robbie Keane to Tottenham Hotspur for a fee in the region of £15 million was the only significant activity involving Liverpool.

Should Liverpool go a third transfer window without making any significant investment in their squad it will serve only to reinforce Benítez’s recent assertion that the club’s priority has shifted from trophy gathering to debt reduction.

Speaking last month, the Spaniard conceded that Liverpool’s hopes of challenging for the title this season were undermined by the need for the club to reduce their outstanding debts. Well off the pace set by Chelsea, the Premier League leaders, Liverpool’s main aim for the campaign is to qualify for next season’s Champions League, but even that aspiration is far from being a foregone conclusion because they languish in seventh place behind Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester City and Aston Villa, their fellow contenders to finish in the top four.

Any hopes that the purse strings would be loosened in an attempt to fund a drive to guarantee their top-four status have been dashed and Benítez will be faced with the prospect of improving the fortunes of a squad that has struggled desperately at times this season without recourse to even a limited spending spree.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 977050.ece

"Speaking last month, the Spaniard conceded that Liverpool’s hopes of challenging for the title this season were undermined by the need for the club to reduce their outstanding debts"

Just a convenient excuse...?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Redman in wales wrote:

Tony Barrett

okay.

I don't understand how player exchange deals work on paper.. would would a swap deal be possible if we have no money to "spend" ? 

- for example if we did manage to do a player exchange ... eg babel for arda turan... and wages were equal or less - would we be able to do that??

Now that i would like to see mate , an there is talk of it happening but at the end of the season, BABEL SWAP FOR ARDA, , Brilliant player imo who is the best player in Turkey by a mile, cant see it being done now as they need him for Europe, wage wise any wage he gets with us is a step up on what he is getting now, An ive said before if any money at all is laid out on him we will recoup it in six months on shirt sales , Youll have every turk in England and Europe with a Liverpool shirt with Arda on the back, he is that popular,

Put it this way id be fecking made up if he came here ,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:59 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:
redbeergoggles wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:A realist!......the realisation that we are being led by a manager who will never win the prem with us.......a guy who makes more excuses than he is honest......and a guy who fools some of the fans all of the time but not me :no

Do you ever post in any other threads ? Or do you just use your obviously unheralded  intellect in a concerted effort to cry and whine ,with unrivalled constitution about the manager  ?

Seriously I am glad he doesn't fool you ,because without the constant dirge of posts decrying  the manager you would have no reason to be on the forum ,so I suppose that's beneficial to you ,otherwise what would you find to moan about     ???

I mean other posters air their views but they offer up slightly more relevant reasons as to why they have no faith in Rafa ,other than Sack him ,get rid ,or my particular favourite He's :censored:

Talk about blind faith.....or in your case blind stupidity!...Rafa has had his day, he is living on the "Lucky 05 year" since then he has wasted vast amounts of money on overated, overpaid, under proforming players, (and dont give me the :censored: about the owners not giving him enough money) as much as i hate them two D1cks you cant blame everything on them. Rafa proved he aint got what it takes to spot class players apart from signing Torres (whom he should know about coz' after all he is spanish) some of his other buys have been woeful and the fiasco with Alonso led to him being driven into Real Madrid's hands because of Rafa's arrogant stubourness in pursuing another in Barry (who is not good enough to Lace Alonso's boots) to replace him. All this coupled with bizzare team selections, we have after 5 years ended up with a mediocre manager, with a mediocre team, playing boring football that no one wants to watch.......and that's progress is it?.........by may he will be gone and we will have to start over again with another manager...I wouldn't give Rafa 20p to spend never mind £20 mill. :no

There's some amount of bollox contained in this post, I'll give you that.

Yeah......most of it has been spoken by Rafa! :nod
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:04 pm

muzza798 wrote:Chamakh, Maxi and a couple of African players that no1s heard of but are probably decent.

Yeah right....we shop at Netto.....while the big boys in the prem shop at M+S.....maxi and chamakh...Huh!.....some people are easily pleased....and fooled by "Rafa excustez". :nod
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool442 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:32 pm

Outs:
Babel
Dossena
Degan
Voronin

In
Rodreguez
Quality striker to allow us option of 442 (Not Heskey, Cole, Carew or any of the other average players we have been linked with)
If we cannot get the right striker ger someone like RVN for 12 month and buy in the summer.

I don't think we should waste any money on numerous average signings just the bargin of Maxi and one other quality player otherwise your shipping out average players and replacing them with like quality.
Liverpool442

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Looks like this is one Reserve we will not be seeing playing for the first team any time soon....or indeed if he ever does...

From Sly Sports:

Huddersfield Town are set to strengthen their attacking options with the loan addition of Liverpool starlet Nathan Eccleston,
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion