Striking legend - We dont have one

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Oxford United F.C » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:36 pm

The One And Only John Aldridge  :bowdown
Oxford United F.C

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:51 pm

Alonso14 wrote:Thinking about JBG comments, could that man be Luis Garcia for us. I mean he has the crativity that Bergkamp has. And likes to sit deep when he gets the chance to play up front, and ofcourse his a little lad like Zola, that always helps.  :D 

Although I do still think Morientes has what it takes, maybe he wont be a 30 or even 20 goal a season man, but I can see many assists and flicks that lead to goals in him. I just hope he gets a run in the team.

Sorry, but I have to disagree Alonso14.
IMO, Garcia is a poor mans Aimar or Kaka etc; There are many players better than him, it is no surprise he was constantly loaned out by Barca and eventually sold. Reason? Because they had better players in that position, add to the fact he was never an international regular (regular sub i may add) to recently.
Like SABRE always says, he seems to think he HAS TO do something great because he wears No.10.
In the latin world and the majority of the continent the 'No.10' shirt is ALWAYS reserved for the best player (unless said player wants another number eg; Ronaldo (9) Zidane (5) etc; etc;). So he has grown up with this mentality, and feels he must produce, what players that wear No.10 are supposed to show (Flair etc;).

Think of it like this, can you realistically see Garcia being chosen in ANY of the TOP clubs in Europe?  Juve, MIlan, Roma(not a top team, but Totti is reason I use them!) Inter, Barca, Real Madrid and of course I could go on!
All these teams have a 'Garcia' type player and would not swap theirs for ours! (IMVHO of course).

Dont get me wrong btw, Alonso14, I understand why you think he could do the job, but I think if we want to push on and really become a force, I would like to see a top player in that role with Garcia as back up.

Another possibility, with plenty of experience is Pavel Nedved. However, I dont know how much he would cost, or if he would even consider it anyway, as I recently saw an interview with him saying he loves Italy and the way of life and playing for Juve too!
But for me, would definetly fill the 'Bergkamp' role as JBG put it.
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:55 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
LIVERPOOLANYTIME wrote:A great, great player and will probably go on until he is at least 35 or later (considering the Italian diet) as did/have/do Zola, Baggio and Maldini to name but a few.

The reason they go on way into there mid 30's has nothing to do with duracell, But its the fact that the Italians have spent most of there careers walking through the game.

:laugh:
Believe what you will, but trust me it is partly to do with diet. Did you know there is a region of Italy (the name fails me right now, sorry!) that has been under the scope of doctors/scientists for a while now, because SO MANY people in the area live well into their hundreds. And they have come to the conclusion, it is all to do with their daily diet and one of the major factors being Olive Oil (which I am sure you aware of its good qualities for the body, hair and skin).
76-1115222408

Postby red37 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:58 pm

youve been watching too many ads for butter m8!  :D

olivio?...now theres a player.  :p

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:05 pm

:laugh:
You joker!!

But thats not adverts, its science :;):

:D
76-1115222408

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:27 pm

There are many players better than him, it is no surprise he was constantly loaned out by Barca and eventually sold

He was one of Barca's better players two seasons ago. Riijakard didn't want to sell him but Garcia decided to go because Giuly arrived, and because he worked under Benitez before.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:38 pm

Yes, I know he played well, does not mean he was 'needed' by them. If was the case, then why buy Riquelme? Who obvioulsy is better than Garcia (IMO!) but ALSO didnt cut the mustard for a 'top' team.
Also Giuly plays as more of a winger or right hand side of a front three for Barca (so unless being played out of position, they WOULDNT be competing directly for a position).

BUT, if they were competing directly, what does that say about Garcia (if what you say for reasonhim leabing are to be believed!)?
Did he KNOW Giuly was better than him?
Did he NOT want to fight for a place in the team (seen as he 'was one of Barcas better players' and making regular-ish appearences?).

Yes, its true about him coming due to Rafa, but when with Rafa (and playing well) was it not DIV.2 in La Liga (correct if wrong pls!) anyway?

Garcia, probably thought he would be a big fish in a small pond here (how mistaken he was, he is a mid sized fish at best, in a f.ucking ocean :D) and that he would be No.10!  Dont think that would have been happening anytime soon had he stayed in Spain!
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby Garymac » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:46 pm

Fowlers contract at Man City ends at the end of this season........Chances of him coming to Liverpool in January, i dont know but if he makes a triuphant return to the City side,

Who Knows???
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:34 pm

Yes, I know he played well, does not mean he was 'needed' by them. If was the case, then why buy Riquelme?

Riquelme hardly ever played for Barcelona. He was loanned out just like Garcia was.

Who obvioulsy is better than Garcia (IMO!) but ALSO didnt cut the mustard for a 'top' team

If a player like Riquelme couldn't cut the mustard for Barca then it's hardly a surprise that Garcia didn't totaly cemment his place.

Also Giuly plays as more of a winger or right hand side of a front three for Barca (so unless being played out of position, they WOULDNT be competing directly for a position).

Garcia played as a right winger for Barca.

BUT, if they were competing directly, what does that say about Garcia (if what you say for reasonhim leabing are to be believed!)?
Did he KNOW Giuly was better than him?
Did he NOT want to fight for a place in the team (seen as he 'was one of Barcas better players' and making regular-ish appearences?).

I think Garcia got sick of being loaned out by Barca, and finaly when he did start for them they brought in Giuly at the end of the season.

Yes, its true about him coming due to Rafa, but when with Rafa (and playing well) was it not DIV.2 in La Liga (correct if wrong pls!) anyway?

Not sure, all I know is that he scored in double figures for Barca and under Rafa in Spain.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:41 pm

Ok, taking me point for point is all well and good, and I could do the same (but MOTD is on :D) also, my point is made really by yourself
If a player like Riquelme couldn't cut the mustard for Barca then it's hardly a surprise that Garcia didn't totaly cemment his place.

This is my point, and this sounds as if you know Riquelme IS better, but as you say EVEN he was farmed out to Villareal after the first season.

I am just saying there are MANY better players than Garcia in the 'hole' position, but at the same time he is probably the best we could hope for at the present time, taking money into account, and also the fact we seem to less than attractive than other clubs.
76-1115222408

Postby OneHotRed » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:59 am

We have 2 ledgedary strikers, Cisse and mori, just a shame they havent showed it yet, once them two get familiar with each other, if they click, beware premiership :blues:
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:12 am

i think maybe some peopl are missing the point, I want our legn and ot someone elses.

as bigmick points out all our previous striking legends have not been massive names when we bought them, they have either been youngsters or come hrough the ranks. thats what we need, someone who is ours. all the players i mention I dont see as ever having been at another club as their previous clubs dont matter, (celtic, chester, scarborough) to me.

im looking for the player that comes through the ranks at the reds and turns into a superstar.
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:29 am

Get to some reserve/u18, etc matches then. There the only places you'll see the next acadamy hotshot.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:34 am

i think maybe some peopl are missing the point, I want our legn and ot someone elses.

as bigmick points out all our previous striking legends have not been massive names when we bought them, they have either been youngsters or come hrough the ranks. thats what we need, someone who is ours. all the players i mention I dont see as ever having been at another club as their previous clubs dont matter, (celtic, chester, scarborough) to me.

im looking for the player that comes through the ranks at the reds and turns into a superstar.

I see where you are coming from, the problem is though, seen as we have not seen already(in the first team) or really heard about any of the youngsters that are coming through (ie; a Fowler) to be optimistic about, thens its hard to see where its going to come from!
Though someone did mention Calliste earlier, who I have heard is making good headway in the reserves, though haven't seen him play myself.

I suppose we could get someone in, and as you say, sort of make a legend, but where do we look? Lower leagues, fair enough, but how far down the leagues are we willing to go and put the faith into someone (Trundle anyone?) ?

I think, getting a player from another team and them becoming a 'legend' is a bit his and miss, and luck definetly plays a big part, but also the manager/scouts knowing a good player when they see one, is of course key, as in the case of King Kenny!

TBH, you wont find me often saying 'In Rafa we trust' (actually I HATE the phrase! :D) but at the moment, in terms of players coming in and us getting our hands on someone who will/could become a 'legend' then thats just about all we can do at the moment I think!!

YNWA
Last edited by 76-1115222408 on Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
76-1115222408

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:50 am

You could buy the best 17 year old prospect on the suggestion of all the worlds top scouts, and he could have a career-ending injury in his first training session with you. Or he could have an epiphany and become a Monk.
Likewise, an overweight beer-gusler off a Liverpool estate could be the most naturally talented player ever.
Signing any player is a risk, regardless of past glories/current achievements.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion