Gerrard/alonso/sissoko - Can you leave any of them out?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:10 pm

I think we'd all admit that we've been highly impressed with Sissoko since he arrived at this club. All this talk of him being the next Vieira is a bit premature but I like what I'm seeing so far. He had a big impact at Spurs at the weekend but should he have been playing from the start? I suppose it's easy to ask the question retrospectively but if we consider games against the perceived top three I could perhaps see us starting with Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko. Infact I think that the three of them are so important to our team right now that you can't leave any of them out.

This would hopefully allow us to take control of the midfield but will make everything incredibly narrow in terms of creating chances as most of the play would inevitably focus around the central midfield. However when you consider that Manure and Chelsea both play 4-3-3, this would make sure that we are not outnumbered in the midfield area. Last season at Anfield, Keane, Scholes and Fletcher gave our midfield a lesson, mainly because we were outnumbered 3 to 2 a lot of the time in the midfield area.

I think that we could have a lot of draws or narrow margin wins with this set up (Wins if chances are converted). Rafa has said he wants to rotate the squad but if we start winning games whilst being dominant in midfield, would he? Would this then be the shape of things to come?

Thoughts?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:21 pm

If all 3 are fit and available at the time, then they all have to play in the games against the big 3, simple as.

I think Sissoko was primarily bought for backup this season, but he's been so impressive when he's played that it's made it very hard for Benitez to leave him out.

If Garcia doesn't get his act together soon then even in games when we play a 4-4-2 I can see Gerrard being tried out on the right with Sissoko and Alonso in the middle.  Sissoko has given Benitez an unexpected selection problem now as his form since the premiership started has been better than that of Gerrard or Alonso (who are both guaranteed starters).
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:53 pm

I fully agree.

I don't think we could possibly rotate our midfield, it's just too hard to leave out Alonso, Gerrard and Sissoko, they are too influential. In all big games the trio should definitely play together. I actually think we could be lethal if we played a 4-3-3 formation, love to see it get a chance.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:56 pm

KOP-1892 wrote:I fully agree.

I don't think we could possibly rotate our midfield, it's just too hard to leave out Alonso, Gerrard and Sissoko, they are too influential. In all big games the trio should definitely play together. I actually think we could be lethal if we played a 4-3-3 formation, love to see it get a chance.

4-3-3 is the new way to go in football. chelsea have done it, manure have done it, barcelona have done it. it just seems like it's the new way to play.

however with that system it's essential that you have wide men who stay wide. we just don't have that at the moment. the kewell of a few years back is tailor made for a 4-3-3 system but currently whoever we have in wide areas just come infield and congest the centre of the park.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1120597113 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:03 pm

I agree also!
I dont think that any of the 3 should ever be left out.
Also i dont think carra or hyypia should ever be left out of the 1st 11!
If raffa is going to rotate the squad he should let these 5 be and rotate the rest of the players around them as they  are the most consistent players and the 'backbone' of the team!
66-1120597113

Postby teamleader1 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:35 pm

What about risse?
teamleader1

Postby Paul C » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:56 pm

Their is so many formations Rafa can play with now he has a more versitile squad, I think that all 3 can play in the side side with Sissoko playing the 'Didi' role, SG linkin with the strikers and Xabi controlling everything, oh that makes me smile :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Chelsea forever. » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:49 pm

Iv said this earlier today in another thread

I would say your key players are Gerrard-Alonso-Sisoko. So you must play them each game, just as we play Lampard-Maka-Essien and Manu play Fletcher-Kean-Schools.

I dont need to say anymore.
Chelsea forever.

Postby desperado0831 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:50 pm

So,any slots for Hamann? :;):
Reds is the sacred colour before this world was born.

desperado0831

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:08 pm

Our kid just told me Gerrard is on the bench tonight.  Is this true, I'm not near a telly.
jonnymac1979

Postby NiftyNeil » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:19 pm

It's true, Gerrard on the bench.   Crouch & Flo up front.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:19 pm

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard starts tonight's match against Real Betis on the bench as Rafa goes with Florent Sinama-Pongolle and Peter Crouch in attack.
Liverpool line-up as follows:

Reina
Josemi
Carragher
Hyypia
Traore

Zenden
Sissoko
Alonso
Garcia

Pongolle
Crouch

Subs:

Carson
Gerrard
Finnan
Riise
Cisse
Hamann
Warnock
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:42 am

as last night proved again, you can't leave any of them out. come january, i think we're gonna have to look at using a 4-3-3 formation if we can get a couple of quality wide men in.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Garymac » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:44 am

Ive got to say i am amazed by Sissoko, a player we all knew not much about signed for Liverpool knowing the central midlfield role was as hard a place to get a game as any, but less than 2 months into this season and the impact he has made has been enormous dont doubt how big an impacct this lad has had, people spoke of him being back up to hamann, hes now firmly established himself above hamann in the pecknig order, and now we are having debates whether it is possible to drop Sissoko or do we make room for him already......He must have some confidence and his attitude is a credit to him, he has not accepted being a squad player and has gone out and proved that he is good enough for this level of football. Id like to see some videos of Vieira when he was 20 cos i cant believe he was this good, What a future, What a midfield!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby ry_math » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:33 pm

yes u can, i think sissiko can be left out, alonso and gerrad are the best, but sisoko needs to play to get better
he i showing signs of class though
ry_math

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion