Steven gerrard - Box to box central midfielder

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kukilon » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:16 pm

It's really simple. No one is bigger than the club and therefor Gerrard should play wherever we need him and at the moment that would be on the right hand side.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:23 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Gerrard is our best player in every position.

Is he really?
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:25 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:Gerrard is our best player in every position.

Is he really?

no, ut 11 gerrards against 11 of any one other player and there would only be one winner. id say that of any player in the world tho in all honesty
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:28 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I agree with Gerrard , CM is his best position. Surprised that he applauds Didi as a defensive partner but neglects to comment on Mascherano, who is surely one of the best DM's in the premiership ? .

Didi has more discipline in his game than Mascherano does.

Alot more infact, Mascherano is more like Gerrard.

Regardless of what Gerrard says, he needs a player like Scholes next to him who can pull the strings and sit in the centre circle aswell as provide the creativety and vision and help dictate the pace of the game.

When Liverpool played him in the centre with Hamann, we lacked creativety from that area, we were often flat and people completely forget this. Alonso is Stevie's ideal partner, but without us sorting the wide positions and having full backs Alonso can actually use to his advantage then we aren't going to get the best out of either of Alonso or Gerrard, which is a shame as they are two of our best players.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:47 pm

I think you lose half of Gerrards game if you play him as a defensive midfielder, the more obvious solution would be to have a genuine creative second striker/attacking midfielder playing infront of a box to box Gerrard while  Masch cleans up behind.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby rafa09 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Sell gerrard or carra!! Some ppl on here seriously need to seek medical help :no
rafa09

Postby dawson99 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:44 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I agree with Gerrard , CM is his best position. Surprised that he applauds Didi as a defensive partner but neglects to comment on Mascherano, who is surely one of the best DM's in the premiership ? .

I think Hamman is one of the most underated footballers in the history of the premiership. Thats how much i rate the big lad, he was immense for us. Masher hasnt had the time to be as awesome
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:03 pm

s@int wrote:I think you lose half of Gerrards game if you play him as a defensive midfielder, the more obvious solution would be to have a genuine creative second striker/attacking midfielder playing infront of a box to box Gerrard while  Masch cleans up behind.

I didn't suggested playing him as a defensive midfielder did I?
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:11 pm

To be honest, I'm sick of hearing this one stay's one go's :censored:.

You're meant to work as a team when you play central midfield. Both should be competant in both roles with one stronger defensively and one stronger going forward. You're meant to be able to work as a team, Paul Scholes has held in Man Utd's midfield for years while Keane done the ball winning and box to box Work. Being the box to box in a pair with a creative midfielder does not mean you're the more defensive, it could also mean you're the most attacking, We need a player who dominates the centre circle and will pick the right pass, win the ball when possible and is able to dictate the game.

Gerrard is a great player, but going forward he lacks creativety and composure and also the game intelligence needed to regularly open up the tightest defences. Now before any dick like Bamaga comes on and goes, Gerrard's a Zidane like Creative force.... :censored: is he. He's a decent creative force, he is not good enough to be THE main creative force in any championship winning team and I can Guarentee that if he played for United after Keane, it would be Keane he replaced and not Scholes.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Fo Dne wrote:
s@int wrote:I think you lose half of Gerrards game if you play him as a defensive midfielder, the more obvious solution would be to have a genuine creative second striker/attacking midfielder playing infront of a box to box Gerrard while  Masch cleans up behind.

I didn't suggested playing him as a defensive midfielder did I?

No mate , but thats the way I read your other post, having read your latest post (the one after the post I quote) I think you make a good point....... apart from about Bamaga ...... he's closed his account mate  :(

We have been short of REAL creativity from midfield for a long time. Great passing (Alonso)and athleticism (Gerrard) cant make up for a lack of subtlety and vision especially in the final third.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:19 pm

I always thought Gerrard scored some good important goals going forward... shows what i know, lets keep him back wheres hes more useful
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:29 pm

dawson99 wrote:I always thought Gerrard scored some good important goals going forward... shows what i know, lets keep him back wheres hes more useful

Say's he who thinks Woodgate's still playing for Middlesborough.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:31 pm

Well thats not as stupid as you saying Gerrard shouldnt go forwards.
I made a faux pas, you're just being dumb! Gaerrard is our great attacking force
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:33 pm

dawson99 wrote:Well thats not as stupid as you saying Gerrard shouldnt go forwards.
I made a faux pas, you're just being dumb! Gaerrard is our great attacking force

When did I ever say Gerrard shouldn't go forwards? :sleep
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Fo Dne wrote:To be honest, I'm sick of hearing this one stay's one go's :censored:.

You're meant to work as a team when you play central midfield. Both should be competant in both roles with one stronger defensively and one stronger going forward. You're meant to be able to work as a team, Paul Scholes has held in Man Utd's midfield for years while Keane done the ball winning and box to box Work. Being the box to box in a pair with a creative midfielder does not mean you're the more defensive, it could also mean you're the most attacking, We need a player who dominates the centre circle and will pick the right pass, win the ball when possible and is able to dictate the game.

Gerrard is a great player, but going forward he lacks creativety and composure and also the game intelligence needed to regularly open up the tightest defences. Now before any dick like Bamaga comes on and goes, Gerrard's a Zidane like Creative force.... :censored: is he. He's a decent creative force, he is not good enough to be THE main creative force in any championship winning team and I can Guarentee that if he played for United after Keane, it would be Keane he replaced and not Scholes.

he lacks creativity, he lacks composure, lacks intelligence to split defences.

perasonally i think (and yes, i know you rate my football knowledge as much as I rate Pauline Quirk as a sort) but Gerrard NEEDS the freedom, he should not be stuck in any position. He needs the freedom to bang forwards to get into the spaces where he can create. To say he lacks the knowhow to go forwards is just not right in my small opinion
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion