Steven gerrard and unfair criticism... - Don't talk to me about fickle.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:36 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
s@int wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Gerrard this season playing wise has been way way below his normal very high standards and his contribution has been very low compared to previous seasons - this is more than likely down to his injuries but he has looked a shadow of his past in a lot of the games and having niggling injuries all season you can understand and see why .

But another thing though is the way he seems to be acting on the pitch . Many times he just doesnt seem to be putting in his normal energetic effort , non stop harrassing . He has given the ball away many many times and just looked around without fighting to get it back , he seems to be sulking and lazy at times . I dont care if he is fecked off behind the scenes at the manager or the fact his best buddy left or whatever - Once he pulls that shirt on and puts on the capts armband i expect him to be putting 100% effort and work into getting a result for the club . While other players may not have his ability they at least are putting everything into trying to get a result for us .

Also and finally just because gerrard before has played wonderfully for us and helped us win trophies (along with the rest of the team ) it doesnt mean he should escape critisizm when it is justified and recently it is when you see him on the pitch .

If he is injured as you seem quite willing to accept, how the feck do you expect him to  "be putting in his normal energetic effort , non stop harrassing " etc.

Injured players should be rested or in Gerrards case allowed to have the operation ..... not asked to play on "for the good of the team". We saw with Kewell what the dangers are of playing on with groin injuries. Better to get it fixed and then have a player who CAN give 100% rather than persevere and have a player struggling and losing both confidence and risking further problems.

No wonder he appears to be sulking, he's probably frustrated that he can't do more , and angry that he is forced to play with his injury because the squad is not strong enough to cope without him.

Then dont play full stop - it didnt seem to be bothering him when he played for england - seemed happy enough to pull on that shirt and armband and work non stop with no sulking .

November 9th, 2009 LONDON - In a desperate bid to get Liverpool’s season back on track, manager Rafa Benitez has said that he is prepared to risk playing injured midfielder Steven Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres in their Premier League game against Birmingham tonight.

Benitez admits neither of his two superstars is fit enough to last 90 minutes, as they both are battling against recurring groin problems. But to turn around a run of just one win in eight games, both are likely to be pressed into action at Anfield.

“Gerrard has lost part of his fitness and we will see if he can play against Birmingham or be on the bench. But we know he will not be fully fit. He has been training with the physios, not the team, and I know our doctor was talking with the English doctor, so they know the situation,”
account deleted by request

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Why is Gerrard allowed to be immune from critisizm if people think he is playing poor or has been way below par or think he has an attitude problem ?

Im sorry but dont we support Liverpool Football Club and not Steven Gerrard Football Club ?

People will slate the manager and every other player in a heart beat so why is Gerrard not allowed to be critisized ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:40 pm

s@int wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
s@int wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Gerrard this season playing wise has been way way below his normal very high standards and his contribution has been very low compared to previous seasons - this is more than likely down to his injuries but he has looked a shadow of his past in a lot of the games and having niggling injuries all season you can understand and see why .

But another thing though is the way he seems to be acting on the pitch . Many times he just doesnt seem to be putting in his normal energetic effort , non stop harrassing . He has given the ball away many many times and just looked around without fighting to get it back , he seems to be sulking and lazy at times . I dont care if he is fecked off behind the scenes at the manager or the fact his best buddy left or whatever - Once he pulls that shirt on and puts on the capts armband i expect him to be putting 100% effort and work into getting a result for the club . While other players may not have his ability they at least are putting everything into trying to get a result for us .

Also and finally just because gerrard before has played wonderfully for us and helped us win trophies (along with the rest of the team ) it doesnt mean he should escape critisizm when it is justified and recently it is when you see him on the pitch .

If he is injured as you seem quite willing to accept, how the feck do you expect him to  "be putting in his normal energetic effort , non stop harrassing " etc.

Injured players should be rested or in Gerrards case allowed to have the operation ..... not asked to play on "for the good of the team". We saw with Kewell what the dangers are of playing on with groin injuries. Better to get it fixed and then have a player who CAN give 100% rather than persevere and have a player struggling and losing both confidence and risking further problems.

No wonder he appears to be sulking, he's probably frustrated that he can't do more , and angry that he is forced to play with his injury because the squad is not strong enough to cope without him.

Then dont play full stop - it didnt seem to be bothering him when he played for england - seemed happy enough to pull on that shirt and armband and work non stop with no sulking .

November 9th, 2009 LONDON - In a desperate bid to get Liverpool’s season back on track, manager Rafa Benitez has said that he is prepared to risk playing injured midfielder Steven Gerrard and striker Fernando Torres in their Premier League game against Birmingham tonight.

Benitez admits neither of his two superstars is fit enough to last 90 minutes, as they both are battling against recurring groin problems. But to turn around a run of just one win in eight games, both are likely to be pressed into action at Anfield.

“Gerrard has lost part of his fitness and we will see if he can play against Birmingham or be on the bench. But we know he will not be fully fit. He has been training with the physios, not the team, and I know our doctor was talking with the English doctor, so they know the situation,”

Thats Novemeber saint - we are now in march ? does that excuse his lack of effort in recent months
Benny The Noon

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 pm

By Rory Smith
Published: 11:00PM GMT 30 Oct 2009

The Liverpool manager remains hopeful that Gerrard will return to fitness without the aid of an operation, but he admitted that surgery – which would rule the player out for several weeks – might be necessary should Gerrard fail to improve in the coming days.

"Next week, we will have to decide," said Benítez. "We are working with him but if he cannot get better we will analyse the situation again. I'm not sure if he will need surgery, but at this moment he just has to keep working with the physios.

"He is not in a lot of pain, but it's enough that he cannot play comfortably.  He cannot kick long balls properly. He is worried and a little bit low because he thought he could be better, but he still has the same problem." 

"He is not progressing as we were expecting."

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:42 pm

heimdall wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
s@int wrote:

Sorry but in what way is Stevie not putting in the effort he seems to be throwing himself into tackles exactly like he always had.

Let me ask you something though, do you in your job always put in 100% effort no matter what is going on in your life, do you put in 100% if you dislike your boss or you think your co-workers are a bunch of clowns?

If you answer no to either of those questions then lay off Stevie, he's only human ffs.

If you answer yes then you're a damned liar.

You cant relate what we do in our job to footballers on a pitch - if you dont put in 100% because you hate your boss - what happens ? you get fired .

Once that first whistle goes those players should put their heart and soul into winning for the club and for the fans if they dont they should get critisized and rightly so
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:43 pm

I have been saying it for a while, the criticism of him and support for the manager mystify me.
He has done so much for the club and the way that some people have jumped on him this season is shocking.
Lets ditch him, we can get 3 players with the 30 million  :no

Sell our best player and give the manager who has an awful transfer record over the last few years the money to waste.

With you on this one all the way mick.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Thats Novemeber saint - we are now in march ? does that excuse his lack of effort in recent months

Of course it does if he is still fecking injured. Unless his injury is now better he is still injured and still suffering from all the problems that such an injury carries with it.

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 pm

s@int wrote:By Rory Smith
Published: 11:00PM GMT 30 Oct 2009

The Liverpool manager remains hopeful that Gerrard will return to fitness without the aid of an operation, but he admitted that surgery – which would rule the player out for several weeks – might be necessary should Gerrard fail to improve in the coming days.

"Next week, we will have to decide," said Benítez. "We are working with him but if he cannot get better we will analyse the situation again. I'm not sure if he will need surgery, but at this moment he just has to keep working with the physios.

"He is not in a lot of pain, but it's enough that he cannot play comfortably.  He cannot kick long balls properly. He is worried and a little bit low because he thought he could be better, but he still has the same problem." 

"He is not progressing as we were expecting."

still months ago
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:50 pm

s@int wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Thats Novemeber saint - we are now in march ? does that excuse his lack of effort in recent months

Of course it does if he is still fecking injured. Unless his injury is now better he is still injured and still suffering from all the problems that such an injury carries with it.

So how does it explain his performance for england then saint - he seemed fine then
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:I have been saying it for a while, the criticism of him and support for the manager mystify me.
He has done so much for the club and the way that some people have jumped on him this season is shocking.
Lets ditch him, we can get 3 players with the 30 million  :no

Sell our best player and give the manager who has an awful transfer record over the last few years the money to waste.

With you on this one all the way mick.

Im in no way saying lets ditch or sell him or drop him or anything of the sort im just saying lately and for most of the season he has been way below par both in performance and effort
Benny The Noon

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:54 pm

He had better players around him who don't look to Gerrard to solve every problem they have on the field (I didn't watch the England game so have no idea how he played). Gerrard has just played 3 games in a very short time, hard enough for a player that is fit, much harder for a player carrying an injury.

As for the "months ago"..... thats the whole fecking point, he has been playing with injury for a long time now, frustration will have set in, his confidence will have dropped and his motivation has hardly been enhanced by our performances and results AS A FECKING TEAM.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby heimdall » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:You cant relate what we do in our job to footballers on a pitch - if you dont put in 100% because you hate your boss - what happens ? you get fired .

Once that first whistle goes those players should put their heart and soul into winning for the club and for the fans if they dont they should get critisized and rightly so

Absolute b0ll0cks, I have plenty of co-workers who don't give anywhere near to 100%, as Stevie does, yet keep taking home a salary because they know how to talk nice to the boss etc. Why is football any different? At the end of the day they are employees and of course they have off days like all the rest of them and occasionally they are unhappy, other times in a good mood etc etc. These things all affect players because at the end of the day they are just human beings like everybody else irrespective of how much they are idolised.

BTW in what way is Stevie immune from criticism? I totally agree, as does every other poster in this thread that he has been below par this season so where is this perceived immunity from criticism?
heimdall

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:57 pm

s@int wrote:He had better players around him who don't look to Gerrard to solve every problem they have on the field (I didn't watch the England game so have no idea how he played). Gerrard has just played 3 games in a very short time, hard enough for a player that is fit, much harder for a player carrying an injury.

So that excuses his lack of effort at times and his sulking in a liverpool shirt does it ?
Benny The Noon

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:for most of the season he has been way below par both in performance and effort

That's it exactly - no effort to track back whatsoever. Even Lucas outshines him in that department.
I don't believe it's a question of fitness - my belief is that it's mental focus.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:59 pm

heimdall wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:You cant relate what we do in our job to footballers on a pitch - if you dont put in 100% because you hate your boss - what happens ? you get fired .

Absolute b0ll0cks, I have plenty of co-workers who don't give anywhere near to 100%, as Stevie does, yet keep taking home a salary because they know how to talk nice to the boss etc. Why is football any different? At the end of the day they are employees and of course they have off days like all the rest of them and occasionally they are unhappy, other times in a good mood etc etc. These things all affect players because at the end of the day they are just human beings like everybody else irrespective of how much they are idolised.

BTW in what way is Stevie immune from criticism? I totally agree, as does every other poster in this thread that he has been below par this season so where is this perceived immunity from criticism?

Read a  lot of the posts in this thread you clown

I expect every single liverpool player to give 100% once that first whistle goes - if that players doesnt give 100% then off the pitch you go . Especially more so from the capt .
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion