Do we need steven gerrard? - ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:39 pm

The obvious and correct answer is "yes" and perhaps I should have rephrased the question, but since the arrival of Sissoko last season, things have definitely changed. Momo isn't the only catalyst for this change but he is a factor.

Let me take you back in time (think of your screen going all wavey and some chimes being played in the background) to the dark days at the end of Houllier's reign. Life sucked. Well, not really but more comparitively. We were relying on three strikers: Owen, Heskey and Baros. One kept getting injured, one played like a donkey and the other, while showing some promise, could only pray for injuries to keep the other two out of the team. Anelka might have been there too, but the older frenchman seemed to forget about the younger frenchman as soon as he arrived. And where was Stevie G? While Keane and Viera carried on the same tired battle, our Steve began to eclipse them both. He drove a weakened midfield from back to front, covering every blade of grass and seldom putting a foot wrong.

When Rafa arrived Gerrard's star continued to rise. He almost single handedly dragged a team, labelled by many neutrals as second rate, to the European Cup. And with Alonso, he formed a match winning partnership. Despite the controversy which would soon rase its ugly head around his possible move to Chelsea.

Losing Gerrard to Stamford Bridge would have been unbareable and would probably have denied us 3rd place and (just saw Xabi's goal against the toon! What a cracker! Legend!) the FA cup as well. But Sissoko then turned up and though it took some time for him to really make an impact, he soon merited his "(not) the next Viera" title. And because of this emergance and Houllier's prior destruction of our wings, Gerrard found himself more on the right or supporting a striker which allowed him some freedom to roam and concentrate on attack. He scored the goals that our indifferent strikers just couldn't.

But things have changed. Alonso and Sissoko have almost become a pair too good to discard. They compliment each other perfectly. When Gerrard becomes part of the equation something disapears and though he brings a lot, balance seems to leave. Rafa as ensured we have some right sided cover and second striker opportunities will be limited with our more accomplished, promising and talented strike force.

But there will always be a part to play for Gerrard. He is impossible to leave out as he gives so, so much to Liverpool. He can play anywhere and he'll always give a top class performance. So do we WANT Steven Gerrard? Of course we do! It would be crazy to say no and any club would give their entire budget to get hold of him.

But when Chelsea came calling, the thought of losing him was almost terrifying. He was our only, truely top class player. But is that still the case? Is he still as vital as he was? Because of the Alonso/Sissoko partnership, because of the improved strikers, because of Carragher's cult status and world beating form and because of the way the team now opperates, he is no longer the one shining light in our ranks.

I've even occasionally, and I can't believe this myself, thought he was just in the team because of who he is. He's so good, but it looks like Rafa is sometimes trying to fit him in more than build the team around him. If he went, he would undoubtably be missed greatly, but it seems to me that the situation would not be so desperate. He's still a great influence, but he is no longer the only one.

This is not meant to be a negative post about Gerrard who is still amazing and a hero in my eyes. Instead it is a tribute to Rafa and Liverpool for repairing the damage done by Houllier who, had he still been in charge would probably by now have our club slugging it out with Wolves and Cardiff in the Championship. Going from a single bright light, we now have many with exciting young players and a broader net to catch more talent. Gerrard is surrounded by players who are ready, willing and able to play the beautiful game to the standards that we, and he, expect.

I never want him to leave and I doubt any other fan of this club would disagree with that sentiment. He is going to be at least top 3 in the "100 players who shook the Kop" and he warrents that place. But what I'm saying here is that should he ever leave, I wouldn't be as mortified as I would have been should he have left before... yep that sentance makes sense. We are growing and getting better. And that is very nice. Very nice indeed. Ste Gerrard is indeed big and he is certainly funking hard, but he is no longer the only one. I'm off to watch Alonso's goal again (and again and again and again).
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:42 pm

:nod  oh yes...let me be the first to congratulate you sir..a first rate post. and in answer to the threads title, yes we do.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Graeme Noble » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:43 pm

When Steven Gerrard plays well, Liverpool play very good football. In my opinion he is our best player and we definitely need him!
Graeme Noble

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:47 pm

I havent even read yer topic, but how pathetic is this?
Because Alosno scored a wonder goal and Gerrard is playing out of his position, Its a disgrace its totally out of order.
You should feel ashamed in yourself to even create such a toipic. :angry:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:48 pm

Nice post, Ace.  Although, as you say yourself, the answer to your question is, of course, yes.

So let me pose a follow-up question.  Do we need Steven Gerrard in central midfield?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:48 pm

Ciggy wrote:I havent even read yer topic, but how pathetic is this?
Because Alosno scored a wonder goal and Gerrard is playing out of his position, Its a disgrace its totally out of order.

Ciggy, may I politely suggest you read the post before kicking off.  ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:53 pm

Read the topic and you'll realise how foolish you might now look. Have I ever been a reactionist? No. And I'm not about to start.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:55 pm

Steady on Lyns  :D

If you read the post he's not saying we don't need him.

Been tonight and Gerrard at left Midfield or right Midfield nullifies his threat in my opinion. I'd like to see us play 3-5-2 with wing backs. It provides width and when its all said and done Rafa has bought wingers to give us exactly that ! The Boss commented last season that Stevie G was filing in a role where we were short but thats not the case anymore. With Pennant, Gonzales, Zenden to a point, Riise and Kewell (both injured at present) we have lots of options out wide.

Rafa tried 3-5-2 a few times last season and it works well and IMO gets the very best out of a very good player (Stevie G). Alonso OR sissoko can play the "Hamann" role whilst Stevie has a free role.

The thought that Henry at Arsenal or Rooney at United might play in anything other than their natural position is unthinkable so why does Rafa insist on playing Stevie G out wide ?
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:57 pm

No, we don't need him. LFC was a top club without Gerrard, and will be a great club when he retires.

That said, excellent post.

Do we need Gerrard to make LFC dream of reaching far in the CL? yes we do. He's the kind of player that makes a difference in a game, and that's often the difference between teams that reach far and teams that do not. Do we need him to be a strong team? no we don't, if he had an injury of 6 months, as you perfectly explain in your post, there's a strong midfield partnership alongside some other elements, and we'd still be among the best of the EPL. But then, without him we might lose a FA final.

Gerrard is the best player of the squad. But your point is very good and it's good to see that evolution of the TEAM that LFC has experienced.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:59 pm

Dalglish wrote:The thought that Henry at Arsenal or Rooney at United might play in anything other than their natural position is unthinkable so why does Rafa insist on playing Stevie G out wide ?

Very well put. Though Gerrard is a more versitile player, he has always done his best work in the middle of the park. I'd like to see the 3-5-2 more, but I think we are a proper 4-4-2 side.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:05 am

i think Gerrard is still an excellent player on the wing its in his nature to be excellent wherever he is plated because is a wordlclass player, but what Gerrard does for us isnt exactly wing play coz what he does for our team is not standard wing play. He starts from the right or left and has freedom to roam, all over the park without much defensive responsibilty making him extremly deadly in my opinion. Obviously because he is not always in the middle he dosnt see the ball as much as he could, but with the likes of Alonso and Sissoko in the centre i dont have a problem with him being out wide, though is clearly better on the right side. I mean who would drop out of Alonso and Sissoko to accomadate Gerrard in centre midfield?
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:08 am

Dalglish wrote:Been tonight and Gerrard at left Midfield or right Midfield nullifies his threat in my opinion. I'd like to see us play 3-5-2 with wing backs. It provides width and when its all said and done Rafa has bought wingers to give us exactly that !

A good point and this comment makes me think of an important aspect of tonight's game: with Gerrard and Garcia--our nominal wide-players--switching flanks and popping up in the middle so much, the only width we had was provided by Finnan and Aurelio.

Now, Finnan did brilliantly to get on the end of Xabi's ball and cross it to Kuyt but otherwise he didn't get much change off of Babeyaro down the right. 

Aurelio seemed to have trouble clearing the first man with his crosses and thus was neutralized fairly effectively wide left.

It makes me wonder whether this would have been a good game for Gonzales from the start.  With Stevie out wide we know that we are already likely to sacrifice some width as he comes infield.      In those situations it might be better to have a natural winger on the other flank to keep the shape and stretch the defense.  Gonzales could have done that down the left and the probably would have caused Carr a few problems with his directness. 

Let's face it, the lad needs to play sometime and Newcastle at home seems like a good game to throw him into the mix.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby kirankara » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:08 am

was going to berate you when i saw title of post lol, thought you were asking most pointless , stupid :censored: question ever, or were going to have a go at the G-man for playing badly recently, to which i was going to say  go F**k youself lol, but in answer to ur question , hell yeah we need him, he's the first person to grab the team by the scruff of the neck and grind out results when others are dropping their heads a bit, plus he is capable of pulling a fecking whole warren of rabbits outta his hat when absolutely no-one else has anything else left to offer .
kirankara

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:12 am

I think that the biggest load of balls i have ever read!

Written like a poet yes,copied and pasted? Maybe!

Anyway...have you ever tried to ride a bike with one peddle?
Go on a motorbike with no petrol?
Or maybe to the extreme..drive a car with no wheels?

Liverpool FC has come a long way after Houllier years !
Steven Gerrard has been probably the most influential and inspiring Captain over the last decade given his hereoic performances to get us what we have had!

You seem to think that cause we had a good game tonight and Xavi and Sissoko played well we can do without our biggest and best Cog in the gearbox.Write a poetic Sonet all ya want!
Every true fan will tell you that you are full of sh.ite and we need Gerrard like an engine needs fuel! Great attempt at being different..other than that your just wrong!

SHI.TEST POST EVER AWARD!
66-1120597113

Postby Dalglish » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:15 am

Too many times tonight I watched the Newcastle keeper (Harper) taking goal kicks and all 20 outfield player were in a confined area of the pitch all bunched together.

Away teams love to do this because it's far easier to defend against.

LFC were superb tonight in their passing game which can compensate for a lack of width but why not have both ! A sharop passing game and width is extremely hard to defend against and it stretches the play. Garcia and Gerrard love to come inside because its where they feel most comfortable but it allows the opposition to denyt space. Against better teams than Newcastle we wil struggle to create as much as we did tonight without width.

When Houllier wasa Boss we often bemoaned the fact that we were too narrow. In that area not much has changed except that we have far better players and this allows us to compensate .........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion