Do we need steven gerrard? - ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedorDead » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:23 am

It is a real conundrum for Rafa as to how to play his central midfielders and a task i don't envy him. The fact is that individually Xabi, Momo and Gerrard are all very different players who work in different ways together.
On paper the "best" two players would be Xabi and Gerrard but then you lose the bite and defensive qualities of Momo, essential ingredients in any successful premiership team. OK so you have to play Momo but who with? Do you drop either of your two most influential players?
The answer that Rafa has obviously come up with is "No" and so you play them both. Xabi and Momo work best together in the middle, that has been proven and also Xabi is less versatile and couldn't play wide like Gerrard and so you are left wirth Gerrard out on the wing.
What else can you do? Change the formation, play Gerrard behind a lone striker? Put three in the middle? No, the team works as a 4-4-2 and so it shall remain.
For me Gerrard is the best central midfielder in the world, including Xabi. I don't think that Xabi is a much better passer and I certainly don't think he tackles and defends better than Gerrard, Gerrard is a more complete midfielder without doubt BUT in the context of our squad and formation and the tactics employed by our esteemed manager the only place for Gerrard is on the right side.
Short of buying new players to fit around him it isn't going to change unless injuries dictate otherwise, I just hope that Gerrard is happy with this as we need him focused and playing his best if we are get back up to the top of the league where we belong.

This is my post from another thread but it seems relevant here too. To summarise: Do we need Steven Gerrard? Very much YES! Do we need Gerrard in central midfield? No
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:44 pm

Even though we are playing well without much contribution from SG, I can't even imagine a Liverpool FC side without SG.  :down:
It's even a crime to think "Do we need Steven Gerrard?"  :(
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:09 pm

Ok. Some of you are missing the point. IF I was a reactionist and jumping up and down at every little thing I would dill be an idiot if I said "We do not need Steven Gerrard." The point I was trying to make is that when Chelsea tried to sign him, the thought of losing him was comletely terrifying. But now, with the fantastic squad that Rafa has built the fear is reduced. We have many shining lights, none as bright as Stevie but the star at the top of the tree has a few bits of tinsel and some borballs for company. If he had left then, it would have been catastrophic. But the devestation it would have caused would now be slightly dulled because we have lots of higher class players to carry on.

This thread was never a "let's slag off Steven Gerrard" thread because I would never do that. It was meant to be a thread which suggested that Liverpool is a better team now than it was before Rafa came. Perhaps the heading was misleading but I did clarify that in the first line of the original post. If Fowler is God, Gerrard is the closest thing to Jesus or the Pope. But now he has some apostles which makes our life and the club much better.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:15 pm

we need Gerrard now more than ever.  He's still our best player and, despite all the talent rafa has brought in, is still able to make everyone look like reservists when he goes into one of his runs.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
RAGE UK wrote:Griffen .

I’m sorry m8 but can you please explain how you think Liverpool fc would miss Xabi Alonso more then we would miss Steven Gerrard.
What do you think that Xabi will give us compared to Gerrard.

Steven Gerrard in 2005/6 season scored 23 goals in 53 games played.
Xabi Alonso     in 2005/6 season scored 5   goals in 53 games played.

Steven Gerrard becomes the 1st player for Liverpool fc to win the pfa player of the year since john Barns in 1988.

Because in my option I think it’s clear we would miss Steven Gerrard more.

Don’t get me wrong but I to think that Alonso is a superb midfielder quoted to be one the best midfielder in Europe.

Xabi Alonso proved last season that he can take control of our midfield in the absents of Steven Gerrard but that was a game or two we don’t know if he is capable of sustain that.
I am not knocking your opinion mate but would like to know what makes you think
We would miss Xabi Alonso more then Steven Gerrard?

Well 29 clean sheets for a start.

A lot of GErrards goals came from moves Xabi started.

The lad controls the game. Without him, we'd be like headless chickens.

If you look at the games where Gerrard has been out, we've lacked a finishing touch to what have essentially been the same moves we've made WITH Stevie in the team.

WHen Alonso has been out, those moves just don't appear. Our defence suddenly becomes suspect in the tougher games, our Full backs are restricted in their movement up the wings, we are more vulnerable to counter-attacks from our corners, and we have no-one capable of switching the play at speed.

Then there's the fact that the tempo is always dictated by the opposition in Xabi's absence, and we ALWAYS invite far too much pressure as there's no one who can hold the ball up, spot a simple yet effective pass, and relieve it.

Stevie can turn a game in one moment of brilliance, and he IS fantastic, but Xabi is the heartbeat of the side. He makes us tick.

If you look back to when ALonso was out with a broken ankle, we missed him SO much more than when Gerrard broke his foot.

All that's missing from Xabi's game is more goals.
A bold statement, but for all Gerrard's tenacity, drive and venomous shooting, I would say that IMHO Xabi is the better all-round midfielder.

He's just not a headline-writer's dream.

Well said, Lando, and I completely agree.  Xabi's role is more subtle but it is essential to the side nontheless.  We are truly blessed in midfield!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:19 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:
BarryBelfast wrote:I think that the biggest load of balls i have ever read!

Written like a poet yes,copied and pasted? Maybe!

Anyway...have you ever tried to ride a bike with one peddle?
Go on a motorbike with no petrol?
Or maybe to the extreme..drive a car with no wheels?

Liverpool FC has come a long way after Houllier years !
Steven Gerrard has been probably the most influential and inspiring Captain over the last decade given his hereoic performances to get us what we have had!

You seem to think that cause we had a good game tonight and Xavi and Sissoko played well we can do without our biggest and best Cog in the gearbox.Write a poetic Sonet all ya want!
Every true fan will tell you that you are full of sh.ite and we need Gerrard like an engine needs fuel! Great attempt at being different..other than that your just wrong!

SHI.TEST POST EVER AWARD!

I'm sorry to offend you Barry
But the message I did try to carry
was not to doubt the man's true gift
But instead to spirits lift

A poet of occasion I have been known
And as usual you have shown
An eloquence so uniquely you
and missed the point so very true

Gerrard is a Kop sensation
An asset to our Red and nation
But no longer a single illumination
Due to Rafa's intrepidation

Many now are ours to praise
And resurect those glory days
But instead you seem to think
That all the others seem to stink

An opinion you're entitled to
But mine you shall not try to undo
For I am seeing an all over shine
From behind the gates of a better time

But our future's not so bleak
Because our team is not so weak
"Worst post ever!" I hear you cry
Well, thank-you for the worst reply

:D  :D

Owned!

Barry is now your bitch forever!

:laugh:
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:21 pm

Good thread. Agree with it entirely. It's obviously easy in hindsight to say "oh well Gerrard dragged us out of the mire in two major finals" but had he left for Chelsea, we'd have moved on and got on with it.

I'm obviously delighted now that he stayed, although after the second Chelsea debacle, I was one of the people on here who advocated getting rid of the guy.

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12072&hilit=gerrard
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby daxy1 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:23 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:

Steven Gerrard has been probably the most influential and inspiring Captain over the last decade given his hereoic performances to get us what we have had!

You seem to think that cause we had a good game tonight and Xavi and Sissoko played well we can do without our biggest and best Cog in the gearbox.Write a poetic Sonet all ya want!
Every true fan will tell you that you are full of sh.ite and we need Gerrard like an engine needs fuel! Great attempt at being different..other than that your just wrong!

:D  :D

Owned!

Barry is now your bitch forever!

:laugh:

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

barry bellend owned totally nice work ace!

i agree with you and this is one great post nice one!

ha ha barry u sceptic tad!

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby Raiden Warr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Well Ace that was thought provoking, I mean the topic of the original post as to whether we need Stevie G. I think Rafa is building the team to take responsibility off Stevie G so that if he is injured we can play without him but also so that as a player he does not burn out. If we had players of less calibre playing beside Stevie I think he would have tried too hard, which can be confidence sapping and eventually lead to burn out etc
IMO we now have a team with an excellent midfield.
As was posted previously Momo, Xabi and Stevie all have different skills which make us very difficult to beat in midfield. My experience of Rafa's past teams and other spanish side I think that he is giving Stevie a more creative role with less responsibility(ie a roving attacking midfielder in the mold of Pablo aimar or Ronaldinho when Rondinho plays in the Brazil team except Ronaldinho does not tackle) so he can go forward, create chances and score more goals.I do not think he expects as many goals from Momo or Xabi (although it would be nice) because thier duties are primarily defensive and in Xabi's case the launching pad of our attack.
I would not be surprised if Rafa constructs the team in such a way as to eventually play Stevie G at the point of a triangle in Midfield. If we then Add Attacking players with pace and creativity (like Bellamy,Pennant,LG) on the wings and a striker who can finish like Robbie,Kuyt or Crouchie (Although I reserve Judgmement on the latter two) We should have many avenues of attack (and hopefully goals).
So yes I think we do need him in the important new role that is being constructed for him.
Raiden Warr

Postby anti-hero » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:30 pm

Imagine how teams must hate playing against us..

Our defence alone is incredibly hard to break down.

Add to that our nightmare of a midfield where they have to contend with the idea of silencing Gerrard AND Alonso. Which makes it even more harder when you have a tackling machine killing off any of your moves.

Of course we need Steven Gerrard.

We're sub-par without him. Without ANY of the three midfielders actually. Once they find a groove, that all of them can play into, imagine the destruction they could do.

If only Rafa can find that little system, which can allow all three of them to play at their best AND at the same time benefitting the other two.

But I guess that would take some more time.
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:58 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:
Dalglish wrote:The thought that Henry at Arsenal or Rooney at United might play in anything other than their natural position is unthinkable so why does Rafa insist on playing Stevie G out wide ?

Very well put. Though Gerrard is a more versitile player, he has always done his best work in the middle of the park. I'd like to see the 3-5-2 more, but I think we are a proper 4-4-2 side.

I actually dont think we are a proper 4-4-2 side, the wingers we have havent made a great impact yet and thats forced Rafa to play our best player out wide often.
Stevie was fantastic there last season but thats just because he would be fantastic in most positions.
We could play all 3 of our great centre midfielders with Finnan on the right or Pennant if we were playing a mediocre side and Aurellio/Riise/Kewell on the left, we have 3 quality centre halves and would dominate even the best sides with that sort of line up.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:52 pm

To answer your question:

I think yes, what about you?

:D
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:57 pm

Hmmm.... let me think.... er.... yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes.......!!! etc etc...

The phrase "no brainer" springs to mind, I don't even think we should be considering the matter, however thought provoking a post like this may be, it's so negative...

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:19 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:

Quality reply  :buttrock  :buttrock
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:01 pm

read the first few posts....

last week u were all saying 'rafa, stop rotating!' ...and now its 'lets try 3-5-2'

crazy dawgs :blues:
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion