Steven gerrard - Alternative viewpoint

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:54 am

Carragher and Xabi have been our best players.

Followed by Riise and Finnan.

Baros has been our most important so far.
115-1073096938

Postby supersub » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:14 am

Agree with stu on this one.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:00 am

stu_the_red wrote:Baros has been our most important so far.

Anyone who follows his posts with any interest (& I certainly do) will know that from the Stumeister, this is praise indeed. "Important" is an interesting choice of word. Certainly, by virtue of the fact that in missing 'only' about a quarter of the season Baros has been our most available forward, and in the fact that at times he has carried our attack on his back then I would tend to agree.
All that said though,even though "important" was a clever choice I think that overall Carragher would just about shade any vote.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:10 am

stu_the_red wrote:Baros has been our most important so far.

waiting for you to say that  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:13 am

bigmick wrote:All that said though,even though "important" was a clever choice I think that overall Carragher would just about shade any vote.

Carra is deffo the player of the season this season for LFC. Anyone wants to bet with me against it ?  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lili » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:41 am

no :D
lili

Postby lili » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:44 am

But i think in the run in to the end  of the season Morientes will take over as our most important player.
lili

Postby liamac » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:35 pm

I know I am a killer for telling people to add posts to existing threads, and not start a new thread, but I add this for two reasons:

1)  It says what I know a lot of Liverpool fans have been thinking this season, and is a nexcellent well thought out take on the saga that is Stevie G.

2)  I have tried to read through the pinned Stevie G thread at the top of the page, but too much rubbish in it has left me lethergic over the idea of shuffling through it, so if others feel the same, this may not get the airing it deserves.

I think Leon is telling him self off before all of us who have had his self appointed Moderators  boot up our @rse  can come down on him like a ton of  bricks.:D :D :D

Critisism aside , its a very good point about  about Alonso , the fact that ive pointed it out  on more than a few occasions  that Alonso is more influential in midfield is neither  here nor there .................smug  look on liamacs face :cool:
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:43 pm

Brilliant again today i see.
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:09 pm

Gerrard is p1$$ing me off. His dragging himself and the team[more like 11 players who can't play as a team] down. It's the Owen saga all over again and I'm getting tired of it, I'm sure you lot are too.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ade » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:50 pm

Some great points in that article, and in the posts since.

FWIW, I think SG looked poor against Utd, home and away this season, and in some of our European games. But to be fair to him, there haven't been many occasions over the past few years where Keane has got the better of Gerrard. Vieira has, consistently, until this year, but not Keane.

Also, Stevie has already been playing at the top level for 6 years. Players in the modern game either burn out quicker or slow their game and adjust. Keane hasn't been the box-to-box player of old for some years now, but this season he's been superb. Stevie needs to learn to mix his game and I'm sure with Rafa and Alonso he can do that. But with Biscan, or a tiring Hamann? Fact is, our bad injuries this season have ****** everything up.

The model that SG needs to learn from is Keane, or Xavi at Barca. Running games with economy, simple passing, reading the game, but then Keane and Xavi have a lot better players to play with.

For my money, we're getting towards a win-win situation over Gerrard. If we sell him, we get 30m and the chance to sign 4 very good players - Sean Wright-Phillips must be one of them.

If we don't sell him, we keep one of the best midfielders in Europe - and we keep him because the club's owners have stumped up serious investment for Rafa to go out and buy two or three top players.

He must surely be looking at Owen's situation now and wondering if it's a good idea to jump. The Owen story was so predictable.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:49 pm

your dead right about the Owen situation Ade, how or why he decided to go to Real  was and still is beyond me ......He was always going to be 3rd or 4th in the pecking order  because or the status that Raul and Ronaldo  have at Real , plus not forgetting that Nando was a crowd favourite.
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:57 pm

For my money, we're getting towards a win-win situation over Gerrard. If we sell him, we get 30m and the chance to sign 4 very good players - Sean Wright-Phillips must be one of them.

You're calculations are wrong by a mile. If you play to sign four players,SWP being one of them, with 30 million, that will not work because earlier this season Manchester City valued SWP at 25 million. The only way I would buy SWP is if his price would be at a maximum of 10 million, nothing more than that.

Downing is another player we should look at it, but the problem is that he's a young talented English player whose price will be too high.

I think Aimar may sign with us in the summer if we were to sell Gerrard[which looks like we are] and that would be a great business move.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:09 pm

Man City will no more get £25million for SWP than we will get £50 million for Steven Gerrard.

Just because Kevin Keegan said he values SWP at £25million and Rick Parry values Gerrard at £50million doesn't make it so.

Man City are staring down the barrell of a prospective financial meltdown and would sell SWP for £12million next summer if someone was to come in for him.

If Gerrard were to go Liverpool can ask Chelsea/Madrid/ whoever for £50million but will get no more than £30million if Gerrard wants to go.

Parry didn't say that Liverpool would seek £50million for Gerrard if he were to leave. He said he'd turn down a transfer bid of £50million for the player if it came in, but if Gerrard wanted to go, then Liverpool wouldn't stop him. So if Gerrard rings Parry and Moores next June and says: "I'm off" the most Liverpool will get from Chelsea is £30million, unless of course Madrid start a bidding war.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Judge » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:09 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Man City will no more get £25million for SWP than we will get £50 million for Steven Gerrard.

Just because Kevin Keegan said he values SWP at £25million and Rick Parry values Gerrard at £50million doesn't make it so.

Man City are staring down the barrell of a prospective financial meltdown and would sell SWP for £12million next summer if someone was to come in for him.

If Gerrard were to go Liverpool can ask Chelsea/Madrid/ whoever for £50million but will get no more than £30million if Gerrard wants to go.

Parry didn't say that Liverpool would seek £50million for Gerrard if he were to leave. He said he'd turn down a transfer bid of £50million for the player if it came in, but if Gerrard wanted to go, then Liverpool wouldn't stop him. So if Gerrard rings Parry and Moores next June and says: "I'm off" the most Liverpool will get from Chelsea is £30million, unless of course Madrid start a bidding war.

good post and agreed
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion